wilderness companion

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Have just recieved a copy of the winter wilderness companion by Garrett and Alexandra Conover. Its taken Amazon over 3 months to come up with one. (i had no idea they were so rare). It is a great book though, lots of really usefull information and tips for surviving and enjoying the harsh, north american winters.
I reckon it is a must have for anybody who loves to be out and about in the colder months (if you can find it).

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
baggins,
This must be a recent development. I got mine from Amazon a few months ago and it came within days. You are right though it is a great book. I have thought for some time that a pulk would be a great thing for a winter bushcrafting trip.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Hi guys,
Its a great book. I consider it one of the most important books for winter bushcraft.

I have one book which is equally great its called:

Winter Wise from Alfford!

a real must to have.

Concerning food in the northern bush, there is:

Food and Emergency Food in the circumpolar area by Kerstin Eidlitz

all the 3 books are great

ahh I forgot one which is called:

Secrets of Eskimo Skin Sewing by Edna Wilder! Great book too!

cheers
Abbe

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
fred gordon said:
Abbe,
Do you ever have the opportunity to use a pulk for winter bushcraft trips?

I planed to build one then I bought a snow maschine and got lazy. Now I use a pulka behind the snow maschine. I am a little ashamed! :eek:

Here is my wife and my dog in the pulka after the dog fell in the ice-fishing hole.

alf_wet.jpg

cheers
Abbe

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Abbe,

If you like Edna's Skin Sewing I bet you will also like:

Sinews of Survival
The Living Legacy of Inuit Clothing

Betty Kobayashi Issenman
1997/2000 Hardback
University of BC Press

I think this is a true treasure of a book. I got it from Amazon and appears to not only be a true bargain ($28) but an absolutely excellent resource....(I think even better than Edna's).

It is highly unlikely that I will be making any caribou parkas etc but the sewing techniques combined with historical study of Inuit clothing makes for a good read and smaller projects that I do have in mind should turn out much better.

The photos and captions in this book are exceptional and the line drawings are near perfect. This is like a book museum of clothing styles and techniques.

I picked up Winter Wise recently too on Hoodoo's recommendation and it is a very good one.

And I just bought the only copy of Food and Emergency Food in the circumpolar area that I could find in the US. This one sounds good.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Schwert said:
Abbe,

If you like Edna's Skin Sewing I bet you will also like:

Sinews of Survival
The Living Legacy of Inuit Clothing

Betty Kobayashi Issenman
1997/2000 Hardback
University of BC Press

I think this is a true treasure of a book. I got it from Amazon and appears to not only be a true bargain ($28) but an absolutely excellent resource....(I think even better than Edna's).

It is highly unlikely that I will be making any caribou parkas etc but the sewing techniques combined with historical study of Inuit clothing makes for a good read and smaller projects that I do have in mind should turn out much better.

The photos and captions in this book are exceptional and the line drawings are near perfect. This is like a book museum of clothing styles and techniques.

I picked up Winter Wise recently too on Hoodoo's recommendation and it is a very good one.

And I just bought the only copy of Food and Emergency Food in the circumpolar area that I could find in the US. This one sounds good.

Thanks a lot mate for the book tip mate, I am sure you will enjoy the Emergency Food book too. It has a lot of information on normal food and quite wirred stuff about what people where eating in bad times.

Cheers
Abbe

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE