Wild Strawberry syrup :-)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Yeah, that's good too, but it'll ferment and go tangy really quickly, if the mould doesn't get it first :sigh: it's how we start off the rhubarb for jam making; it pulls the juice.
The boiled syrup lasts long past the strawberries are gone :)

Colin, that sounds really really tasty....and me trying to stay gluten and dairy free :rolleyes:

Glad you think so Mary, a lot of folk say "feeks injected" when I talk about brown-bread Ice-Cream. But it is fantastic. Not my idea I'm afraid, first had it at a now defunct place called "Scot-Herb" yonks ago just outside Errol - near the Cairn O'Mhor winery. Asked them for their recipe it was Sooooo good.

You could just have a wee tiki and let others finish it..........Aye right.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Was the Scot-Herb place run by a couple from EK ? They used to have a place along Loch Tayside, near Acharn. I bought herbs from them when I was working at the Crannog. Cannae mind their name right this minute, David, and...... ? their daughter was at Glasgow Uni at the same time as my Jamie.
The wife had some lovely recipes for using the herbs she grew, and they called their company something like Scottish herbs.

Mary

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Was the Scot-Herb place run by a couple from EK ? They used to have a place along Loch Tayside, near Acharn. I bought herbs from them when I was working at the Crannog. Cannae mind their name right this minute, David, and...... ? their daughter was at Glasgow Uni at the same time as my Jamie.
The wife had some lovely recipes for using the herbs she grew, and they called their company something like Scottish herbs.

Mary

It could've been, we're talking nearly twenty years ago and I've never been great with names. Plus I was on my usual subject (food and cooking) so other things go oot the window. I know that the place at Errol (think it had been the big hoose of an old pig farm no far from the old airfield. It didn't last too many years later anyway as it was gone when I went for a return visit. was lovely though and the food was great, fresh and herby. But usually savoury me fell in love with the ice-cream.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
David and Anne Aires. I knew it'd come to me :)

I'm pretty sure Anne was growing herbs that were used in the Cairn O'Mhor wines. There was an oak leaf one that was really lovely :)

M

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yeah, that's good too, but it'll ferment and go tangy really quickly, if the mould doesn't get it first :sigh: it's how we start off the rhubarb for jam making; it pulls the juice.
The boiled syrup lasts long past the strawberries are gone :).....

Yeah that's true. Never been areal problem in my house though if you know what I mean :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
David and Anne Aires. I knew it'd come to me :)

I'm pretty sure Anne was growing herbs that were used in the Cairn O'Mhor wines. There was an oak leaf one that was really lovely :)

M

Was that the Spring Oak Leaf one? - was/is really nice. They also do a range of ciders now from old feral apple trees. Very refreshing. Cracking folk, and the best night out I've had was at one of their "wine tastings". Bleutered, but in a good way. LINK

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My preferance is for pears turned into fruit leather. They are absolutely lovely, in a kind of chewy toffee pear tasting sort of way :)
Maybe not tangy enough for you though BR. Tell you what is though, blackcurrants with no sweetening. Kind of swersh. Thinking on it though, I think they'd work well with Hawthorn which is otherwise mealy and kind of blah. Might give that a try later on, if we get rain the Hawthorn bush at the corner of the garden will just about drip with fruits.

M

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
Oh yes - I like the acid fruits best - gooseberry and rhubarb

6 rhubarb by British Red, on Flickr

7 gooseberry by British Red, on Flickr

Only started this recently but the kids lap it up and to be honest I'm a bit of a sweet tooth so it's gone down well with me to
I've been told it will last up to a year ? Can't see it lasting that long but I have been playing with preserving techniques which can be archived in the wild
For now I'm happy with jerky and leather in my pocket when out on a wander

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Blackcurrant is a good thought Mary - when I build the fruit cage I'll have to try that :). That's one for next year I think!

Mouse - most techniques have a simple origin except perhaps pressure canning which is a bit hi tech - have a play with brining beans - doesn't get much simpler than that - except maybe sauerkraut :)

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
Been looking for this thread for ages....for some reason i thought Elen made the thread..no wonder i couldn't find it, now to convience SWMBO to save the strawberries instead of giving them to the chickens....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE