Wild Camping Spots in the Lake District

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

OurJud

Forager
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester
I appreciate this is a question that's been asked countless times before, so forgive me starting another thread, but as I mentioned in my 'sleeping bag for fatties' thread I'm hoping to spend a few days wild tenting in the lakes some time in December. My sister has agreed to drive me there, but having never been before and not knowing the area, I'm at a loss at to where I should be looking at.

A guy on another forum has recommended Ambleside as he says I can be out in the wilds within a couple of miles. It also has the advantage of not being too far to trek back and restock on food supplies.

In short, I'm looking for somewhere I can pitch for 4-5 nights (not necessarily staying in the same place the whole time), somewhere I'm not going to be disturbed (can't imagine that'll be too difficult this time of year) and somewhere that has a village/town within walking distance for restocking purposes. Breathtaking scenery to look at while I drink my mug of coffee would be a bonus too, and I only say that because Ambleside looks a bit 'moory' as opposed to the hills, valleys and tarns I associate with the Lake.

I'm not suggesting here exactly, but something along the lines of this guy's spot would make me very happy.

Any postcodes, or google map Coords as starting off points would be very useful. Thanks in advance.

[video=youtube;_R5P5HoYWaE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R5P5HoYWaE&feature=re lated[/video]

Last edited:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Pick a town/village and walk into hills. Simple as. You'll always find somewhete nice.

I personally disagree with staying more than one night in one spot in Lakes. It's a small area but there's so much to see. Get out and explore. It's all owned by someone and there's no right to kipping there. Keeping the landowners onside is always gd.

Also, at the risk of sounding like a killjoy, there's loads of popular spots but it's gd practise to not promote their (over)use by recommending tgem on an open forum. Can i suggest using the PM function? I for one will try to PM you when i get tge chance to get back on my laptop.

OurJud

Forager
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester
Thanks very much, Paul, I look forward to and am rather excited about your forthcoming PM :)

As I say in the OP, I don't intend to stay in the same spot for the whole duration. I respect these AONB as much as any decent person would and will be leaving as little evidence of my stay as is humanly possible.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Pm sent via fone. Only a few ideas but hopefully enough for ideas and staryers. If not enough to get you excited abt trip. Enjoy.

I cld tell you abt the secret cave or the various caves arpund tge,place. Priest hole on dove crag is so well known i dont mind mentioning it.

OurJud

Forager
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester
Thanks, welchyd, I'll look it up. It'll be late Nov/early Dec. Just look for a badly pitched tent in a really inappropriate and impractical area, and that'll be me :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE