Wide brimmed hat...your recomendations please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

twelveboar

Forager
Sep 20, 2005
County Durham
After attending last weekends North meet, I've decided to get a wide brimmed hat, as during the one or two brief showers, ahem, I was forced to put my hood up which annoys me as it interferes with vision and hearing. I was wondering if anyone had any recomendations for makers and supliers, I quite fancy one that can be fastened under my chin in the wind.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I love my Drizabone hat....it's been everywhere from the wet welsh mountains to the 100+ heat of the Arizona desert... It goes flat and then rolls up to pack and won't blow off in high winds if fitted right. Weights nothing and is easily reproofed with spray wax.

Here it is:

1128PICT0021-med.jpg

Cheap as chips too at about £18.00

Cheers,

Bam. :D

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
twelveboar,

I use a Tilley hat, I think it's a T5, SWMBO got me it a couple of years ago for my birthday. I've also got an issue bush hat which was cheap but not waterproof like the tilley.

Brian

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Tilley T4 or an Akubra Bushman (or Lightening Ridge).

Tilley's are superb and take all sorts of abuse. Great in the warmer months, but the Akubra is perfect in the cooler wet months...got to have both really.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Ive got a couple of boonies and they do the job for me,look pretty cool in mine too :D

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Akubra Federation, I love this hat.

samp.jpg

Comes with open crown, so you have to bash it yourself, but that is half the fun and it only takes 5 mins.

Razorstrop

Nomad
Oct 1, 2005
North West
I have a Statesman Hat, bought in in Euro Disney of all places ( in the Indiana Jones shop :lmao: ), not waterproof but does the job for me :)

One man and his hat
Mr Strop

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I have both a Tilley T3 and an Akubra Snowy River (which is apparently the best selling hat in its native Australia.)

The Tilley ties on, floats, and can be scrunched up in a pack (though it will look a bit creased for a bit.

I still prefer the Akubra though. Sun and rain protection seems better. Despite the wide brim, it takes a pretty strong wind to remove it. It also stays on when you're leaning forward (eg goldpanning). It's great for fanning fires. It resists abuse pretty well. It is very very comfortable - you forget you're wearing it. You can still draw a bow wearing it with slight adjustment.

With both a good fit is essential.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE