Why use a ridgeline on your tarp ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
I get the impression that this may be opening a can of worms , but i have to find an answer as i can not understand why a ridge line is worth using . I have used a poncho since i was 13 and never used one , yet i have never had a flat spot in my poncho/tarp . I would normaly carry 6 bungys and 8 tent pegs so i could cover most eventualitys (sometimes even a spare poncho as they popper together to make a bigger shelter). I had always let a combination of the enviroment and personal needs dictate what manner of shelter i would construct out of this kit . Obviously using a hammock limits that , but why use a ridge line , surely its just using more than you need too !
I am not trying to cause an argument , but would just like to learn why its usefull and what advantage it would give.
Pumbaa

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
The Ridgeline supports the weight of the tarp and puts less strain on the tying points, plus if you attach a couple of prussik loops on the ridgeline and hook a couple of Karabiners onto the tarp you can make it a lot easier to adjust the tension of the tarp. :rolleyes:

MickT

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I use a ridge line Pumbaa...........There good for hanging thinks on like damp clothes, candle lanterns, watch (if you don't like to sleep with it on) etc etc. My tent came with one already attached and I have got used to it................Jon
See you at the meet

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
A prusik loop is what is used on either end of the tarp to keep it taut.
122-2287_img.jpg

The free ends will then be fastened the other side of the final loop on both sides of the tarp.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I'll agree with the "less strain on the tarp material" theory. The last thing I'd want to experience is a torn tarp, especially if the weather was to get a bit rough and wet.
I use the prussik knot to position the tarp along the ridge rope - there must be an element of tension on the material but I do not feel as though it threatens the integrity of the tarp itself.

Ogri the trog

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Right, I get the role of the Prussik loops now. Thanks.

So am I right in thinking you're throwing your tarp over a ridge line, and not passing the ridgeline through loops along the centreline of your tarp (or does your tarp not have these loops?). I suspect the tarp's over the ridgline as you talk of hanging things from it and I presume this is done underneath the tarp?

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
Thanks for the replies , everything is becomeing clearer now ( although the lack of rum in my bloodstream is helping !) . I am guessing the thing with having used issue gear is that it is practicaly bulletproof ! If it does happen to rip , you just take it to the stores and pick up another one.
I am planing on using my Tatonka tarp at the Southampton/Sussex meet , for those that haven't seen one they are very light weight , so i am assuming that this is exactly the type of tarp that a ridge line should be used with !
Cheers
Pumbaa

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
I run a ridgeline through a set of loops and tie them up at either end. Then I will tie a prussik loop onto each side of the tarp although I only need to do this once and I can leave it on their thereafter then I pull the tarp taut bu pulling the prussiks away from each other. Then I just peg down corners with some adjustable knots. It's the way I have been taught to use it and I find it easy and simple; I can set it up within five minutes.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I use bungees and always have, however, if I did use cordage I certainly wouldn't bother with a ridge line.

I don't see any point to it. You can only hang stuff up outside your shelter if you have the line through your loops...or if it's inside then you'll get water seeping through where whatever is hung pushes against the tarp.
Bungees have to be faster than cordage as hooking on one clip is faster than tying one knot. Bungees auto tention your tarp so you don't need to mess about adjusting stuff. If somebody falls on or trips over your shelter or guy lines then the whole structure moves with them and doesn't snap.
You can make natural cordage if you need to but making natural elastic isn't so easy so the bungees can have more than one use...cataplut elastic etc.

And as for tearing a tarp....unless you have a very very very lightweight one then you'll be hard pressed to tear it unless something sharp does the tearing, certainly just tention won't do it....the military ones double as stretchers and I've seen one used as a makeshift hammock...if they hold the weight of a squaddie then your tentioning is unlikely to tear them.

It's horses for courses so by all means use what you like, the current trend in bushcraft is for cordage as that's what's shown in books and on the tele but I still prefer bungees.

It also never fails to amuse me quietly at various meets I go to when people have the tarp set up how you guys are discribing but they haven't used or tentioned the tarp on the ridge line and only the two end ones are actually touching the line...the rest are sort of levitating with the line through them...even in the photo below the next loop in from the edge is slack...why not ditch the line through them and just tie at each end as that's all that's holding it up anyway? :confused:

People say bungees are dangerous and can snap or ping off and have an eye out...well yes, that is true but you just need to be a little carefull with them. Last time I brougth this up there was heaps of people telling me that this bungee had broken or that one had snapped....after further questioning it turned out that these were old bungees (mainly used to hold stuff onto motorbikes - I use a spider myself on mine) and my answer was simple - CHECK YOUR KIT REGULARLY FOR SIGNS OF WEAR AND REPLACE ACCORDINGLY - if you do this then you are very unlikely to have an inncident.

As a final point, if you do insist on using the ridge line then can I suggest that instead of tentioning with the Prussik loop at each end that you instead use a Klenhist knot....it works exactly the same as a prussik but is the only knot of that type to release under tention....so if you need to adjust it you will be able to without undoing it.

Hope that's of interest to some of you,

Bam. :D

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
bambodoggy said:
As a final point, if you do insist on using the ridge line then can I suggest that instead of tentioning with the Prussik loop at each end that you instead use a Klenhist knot....it works exactly the same as a prussik but is the only knot of that type to release under tention....so if you need to adjust it you will be able to without undoing it.

I presume you mean this one??? Bam. :tongue-ti

>> http://ozultimate.com/canyoning/knots/klemheist/

MickT

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
I'm with Bam on this one-I'm a die hard bungee man. I use the long thin ones and they do a grand job. I like the way that when (not if) you trip on a guy line, the whole thing just stretches (great way of shaking the water off..ahem) and twangs, not snaps or tears. With my jungle hammock, I can run a thin paracord line under the ridge of the tarp to clip it onto but it doesn't come into contact with the tarp so no contact drips. Run the little dangly bits of cord down outside the tarp, and no running line drips either. Bungees are soo much quicker and less fiddly with cold hands and let's face it- the extra weight is not enough to cry about. But at the end of the day, stick with what you're comfy with, or try both then re-decide.

Just a thought- instead of fancy knots, how about a clothes peg to hold the tarp lines in place? You can always carve them on the spot if one breaks. ???

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Before erecting your shelter, you should check above for deadwood caught in the branches which could fall on your head!! Avoid these areas, but the ridgeline will slow the descent of deadwood falling onto you if you missed it on your initial search. I use bungees on exercise because it is quicker, but I prefer ridgeline for the safety reasons!

zambezi

Aug 24, 2004
DEVON
pumbaa said:
.... but i have to find an answer as i can not understand why a ridge line is worth using .
Pumbaa

One reason for using a ridge line [particularly if the tarp material is fairly lightweight] is to ensure overhead protection for the sleeper. Whilst we all pick our tarp pitch sites with care, the risk of falling branches remains.

Vince

Spamel's entry pipped me to the post...must learn to type quicker

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I don't want to start any arguements so this is purely me speaking about my experience and opinion but I'm not sure the "falling branch senario" is that much of a threat.

As Spamel and Zamo said you should always look up before you pitch and that's all the precaution I've ever taken (even in the jungle) and I personally have never had anything drop on my head nor do I personally know anybody that this has happened too. I'm certainly not saying it doesn't happen but I think it's got to be a minimal thing (jungle excluded where it is most definately a killer).

I'm also not convinced that the ridge line would help all that much (maybe more so with a thick 10mm line). The way I see it is if the banch is that heavy that it's going to do you damage then I feel that the ridge wouldn't hold it anyway and you'd end up with a snapped line, a flattened shelter and still have a sore head. At least with a bungee you'd only have the sore head (and the resolve to check above you better next time lol) and if the branch isn't heavy enough to snap the line then it's not going to do all that much damage to you (depending how and where exactly it lands!).

Anyway, as SpaceMonkey said...it's a personal choice thing so why not try both and see which you prefer :)

Cheers,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE