Why moot instead of meet?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
They aren't.

The main meet ups organised by BcUK are called Moots.
We try and keep the name for those so that it simplifies the searches which can become incredibly confused otherwise.

Just now we're planning this year's Summer Moot, so that's what you'll be seeing advertised on the site.

Tony used the word away back in 2003 when he started the site, but others seem to like the name and try to claim precedence. Tbh I think Tolkien is the precedent :D

cheers,
Toddy

Last edited:

chutes

Banned
May 6, 2012
Australia
I was in Rovers when I was in my late teens and our gatherings were called Rover Moots. We were informed that the word Moot is an Old English word meaning assembly or gathering. Unfortunately, in Aus it is also vulgar slang for part of the female anatomy.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I was in Rovers when I was in my late teens and our gatherings were called Rover Moots. We were informed that the word Moot is an Old English word meaning assembly or gathering. Unfortunately, in Aus it is also vulgar slang for part of the female anatomy.

That Sir, is a MOOT point!:D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D :rolleyes:

We have Mote as in the meeting hill, the Mote Hill of the Mote and Bailey type medieval defence/administration/lawgiving centre.

Tbh I think the word has long provenance, but in it's modern usage, here, on BcUK, we try to keep it for the main meet ups.

Can't quite see how we get mote for the flake of dirt in an eye though :dunno:

cheers,
Toddy

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
motte and bailey (motte = mound bailey = fortified enclosure) is different to mote (bit of dust) is different to moot (from the old english for meeting). motte is derived from the norman-french word for turf, it then became moat and used to describe the wet ditch

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yeah, that's a Mote and Bailey site, Southey :)

Amazing how many of them the Normans threw up around the country :D
There's a huge one in the middle of York.

cheers,
M

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Moot ,is also a commonly used word for the root plate of a tree in Devon , or a stubborn root that is wher you are digging or one you trip over , to be said in a Devon accent , "This bleddy veg patch , the ground is as ardsa dugs ade , and moots all over the place "

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
What's in a name? Why bushcraft and not campcraft or woodcraft? It's all about branding.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE