Why i love my Landy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
There's no reason why a Landy won't behave itself so long as it's properly maintained - but also little question that they require more attention than, say, a Land Cruiser. Catastrophic failure is, in nearly every case, the result of poor maintenance.

That said, I wouldn't dream of being so daft as to rely on a Land Rover as my main vehicle.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
You've been believing everything you read again Pete ;)

na my boss has had his mitsubishi for a few years now (seccond hand) and has only had a small hitch with the free wheeling hubs. we use it every day and regularally driven out of the woods filled to the brim with logs and we havnt got it stuck yet!:)

land rovers are good off road, well untill you've driven a steyr puch pinzgauer:D my other boss has one and it really is the muts nuts! it has been driven round the clock and has NEVER gone wrong yet still has that land rover feel to it.

pete

Waterworx

Nomad
Nov 22, 2009
Cornwall
Summer outfit:
web.jpg

Winter outfit:
web.jpg

Well, showed these to the GF, and she's up for getting a landy, yet again she has surprised me. just glad I was sat down when she agreed :lmao:

It looks splendid mate, very nice example

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Well, showed these to the GF, and she's up for getting a landy, yet again she has surprised me. just glad I was sat down when she agreed :lmao:

It looks splendid mate, very nice example

Thanks again - can't say I did the work myself, most of it was done when I bought her. A lucky find on the Internet when I was looking for tips on how to fix the 90 I had back then.

My missus thinks the S1 is great, BUT that doesn't mean she wants to go anywhere in it - at any one time she's either cold, wet, having her hair messed up, back done in, or being thrown around in the cab. Oh, and for some reason she's hung up on actually arriving at her destination on the same day she left home. :lmao:

I've had to put seatbelts in the back to make it safe/legal to carry the kids (who think it's fantastic), the winch, overdrive and hubs were all scavenged off the Internet.

Now waiting for more snow so that I can potter round the lanes hauling hapless Discovery and Land Cruiser drivers out of ditches because they've got the wrong tyres and no idea what they're doing...

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
There's no reason why a Landy won't behave itself so long as it's properly maintained - but also little question that they require more attention than, say, a Land Cruiser. Catastrophic failure is, in nearly every case, the result of poor maintenance.

That said, I wouldn't dream of being so daft as to rely on a Land Rover as my main vehicle.

I do.
so far this week mine has taken grandson to the dentist, me to a job interview in Newport South Wales,collected Hay, straw and horsefood, done lots of shopping and collected a load of logs for the fire. It has 158000 miles on the clock and hasn't even noticed the snow and ice. On the trip to Wales I managed 33mpg and around town or driving like a rep it does about 27mpg.
And its a DISCOVERY series 1 with the wrong tyres.
Its not what you do, its the way that you do it.

Last edited:

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Why I hate Range Rovers.

Got stuck down near Lyme Regis way last night due to my brother's V8 Range Rover blowing a diff.
At least we had a nice Japanese 4x4 to tow us home eventually.

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
IN this weather, I have wanted a ladny for the first time ever. The are kind of cute. If only something could be done about the random porridge stirring transmission. (I practically learned to drive in a landy90, it was..... difficult).

dr jones

Feb 21, 2007
west wales
That series 1 is a lovely bit of kit.
We had quite a dose of snow lately , and even though i dont own a landy any more i still managed to get out to feed the animals ,get supplies etc in my old combo van thanks to fitting a set of mud and snow tyres on the front ,it hasnt missed a beat. i dont understand people who buy a 4x4 then run it on road bias tyres , ive shamed a few of the those lately.

fast but dim

Nomad
Nov 23, 2005
lancs
dr jones, well said, first thing i did when i got the D3 was put 4 grabber at2's on instead of the "road bias tyres". i can think of nothing more embarrasing than gettin stuck in a 4wd.

As an aside, the majority of 4x4 drivers don't even know how to used their 4x4 system, i'm a firefighter, we have 2 4x4's, which have been on standby following pumps all week. Till i came in and had a look the ford ranger was in 2 wd high, but our sprinter (full time 4x4) had had the centre diff locked for 3 days of road driving!

people need to realise that a 4x4 isn't always a 4x4.

bhofmann

Forager
Dec 18, 2009
Exmouth, Devon, England, UK
I have ALWAYS wanted a Landy, since I can remember.

But family and family trips means I drive a family car and my wife drives a little C3. Note: The C3 is the worst car I have ever had the displeasure of driving. It is truly an impressive bit of engineering - there is absolutely NOTHING I like about it.

Already owning two cars means the Landy has to remain a dream of mine. The 4x4 dream, the owning a woodland dream, the owning a boat dream. Maybe one day, when the kids have grown up and I retire and I'm too old and fat to enjoy it. Yeah, that'll be the best time to get these things.

Lordyosch

Forager
Aug 19, 2007
Bradford, UK
After months(years) of nagging and leaving copies of LRM about the place SWMBO has finally caved and allowed me to have a landy. Its a hollow promise though as she knows full well we've no money to purchase such a glorious thing. Yet.

It will be mine. Oh yes, it will be mine.

Jay

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
IN this weather, I have wanted a ladny for the first time ever. The are kind of cute. If only something could be done about the random porridge stirring transmission. (I practically learned to drive in a landy90, it was..... difficult).

I learned in a 1 ton Landrover (Forward Control) and a 90. Best motors to learn in I reckon!

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Forward controls are fun, my mate has one, and about half a dozen other landys.
His wedding car was a Series 1 he rebuilt. Others were a series 2a (I think) with a V8 and big suspension, that used to shift and annoy boy racers.

Ive got the brand new one and apart from the warning lights coming on now and then a a fault when new, its great for day to day. Not the charactor of the old ones but I regularly do upto 100 miles a day in it and Im no more uncomfortable than in a car rearly.
Ive heard that other new ones have had probs though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE