Why i love my Landy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rory McCanuck

Dec 25, 2009
Manitoba, Canada
swyn, that looks to be about as practical a vehicle as could be. I like the tool box in front of the rear fender, but it looks like there is about 2" of wheel travel and then the tyre rubs. Is this the case, or is it just the angle of the pic? Or does the suspenion not travel that far? Either way, pretty nice.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
It's the angle Rory although with the tyres now fitted which are 235 x 16's there isn't much room left at all. I've got full suspension travel too. They are only mud guards so could be moved. What limits wider wheels are the rims and the side of the tipper body itself. I don't want to go for any thing else as what is there is fine and easily replaced (All LR off the shelf items)+ I can still just about lift a rim and tyre!

Swyn.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Wouldn't mind getting my grubby mitts on a Ford Transit County but that's about the only 4WD I would like, Land Rovers don't have enough space inside them considering the space they take up on the outside, just about every one you see has a big numb roofrack on it.

Bit like this, but without the big numb roof rack obviously.
dsc08159.jpg

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
iv heard the iveco dailys 4x4s are the bees knees

pete

Never seen one yet and even Transit Counties are a bit thin on the ground but I was in a mates Land Rover a while ago and there just isn't much space in them.

I like what they are able to do other than the carrying capacity and I don't care how many students can fit in one, I mean something that can carry a couple of motorbikes with ease.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
Never seen one yet and even Transit Counties are a bit thin on the ground but I was in a mates Land Rover a while ago and there just isn't much space in them.

I like what they are able to do other than the carrying capacity and I don't care how many students can fit in one, I mean something that can carry a couple of motorbikes with ease.

basicly a daily is iveco's take on the transit. they are suposed to be much tougher but the 4wd vertions are either very old and hard to come by or you have to buy a new one (they started to make them again recently) which has a starting proce of about 40k:eek:

iv no pictures but i know someone who has a crew cab tipper 4wd daily with a winch. it really does look the business if not a bit old and tired.

4wd transits and similar vehicles used to be used by the utility companies but now they have way too much money to spend and now all use unimogs so now there is very little market for these vehicles.

have you seen the old VW syncros? basicly the old campervans (box shaped not rounded) but with perminant 4wd and also came with front and rear diff locks as optional extras.
i would love to have a flatbed pickup syncro:D

pete

ragamuffin

Tenderfoot
Dec 7, 2009
plymouth
There's no reason why a Landy won't behave itself so long as it's properly maintained - but also little question that they require more attention than, say, a Land Cruiser. Catastrophic failure is, in nearly every case, the result of poor maintenance.

That said, I wouldn't dream of being so daft as to rely on a Land Rover as my main vehicle.

i'm using a series 3 as my main drive and its been good to me apart from the little faults that spring up every mounth. lol

ragamuffin

Tenderfoot
Dec 7, 2009
plymouth
After months(years) of nagging and leaving copies of LRM about the place SWMBO has finally caved and allowed me to have a landy. Its a hollow promise though as she knows full well we've no money to purchase such a glorious thing. Yet.

It will be mine. Oh yes, it will be mine.

Jay

i'm selling mine. its a series 3. £900

ragamuffin

Tenderfoot
Dec 7, 2009
plymouth
Thanks all - would love to bring her to the 'moot, but the only certainties of a journey there from Hampshire would be:
1. At least two major breakdowns
2. Hourly stops for fuel
3. Driver exhaustion after two hours
4. Overall journey time of at least ten hours.

But that's life with an old Landy for you...

i drove mine nearly 300 miles. it was an experience i'll tell you. i was deff by the time i finaly got there.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE