Who carries a "traditional" possibles bag?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
B

Bob Hurley

I'm planning to make one out of a nice piece of chestnut-tanned deerskin I have, and wondered who here already has one similar- I'm thinking about something from maybe Nessmuk's time and earlier. I searched prior threads but didn't really see anything like what I have in mind, I'd really enjoy hearing what others have done or at least their opinion on what would be nice.

So far I'm thinking of a more traditional bag, albeit with some modern contents:

*Leather bag (well wax/oil treated), leather strap with buckle adjustment
*Place for a small axe (a Vaughn, in my case) on the back, handle down
*Maybe a slot/loop inside or out for a large ferro firestarter
*Tiny first aid kit with spare small compass and small firestarter
*Small amount of food, mostly jerky and the like (no cooking)
*A little room for small foraged things

Ideas?

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Thats a great idea to carry a small axe on the back of the bag. I've thought about a couple of small pouches/pockets sewn inside for incidentals that you may want to separate from the rest of the gear. I've seen a couple bags that had a small sheath built into the strap and the owners both carried small patch knives there.

I picked up a small Lieutenants badge that came from a uniforms hat. I'll use as a weight on the flap of some future possibles bag. Kind of bright, but I like it.

badge5he.jpg

whitebuffalo

Banned
Oct 28, 2004
Cornwall
I have a beavertail bag which is very good but I would like a bigger one in which I could also carry a water bottle, that would make a possibles bag complete.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
I am exploring a similar vein, and as WB says if i could find one big enough to take my waterbottle and mug as well as a few other bits I might carry one more often!

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Guys, is a traditional game bag good for this kind of use? You could add axe loops and internal pockets etc. They have the benefit of being waterproofed material.

This kind of thing

What do you think?

Bill

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
If I'm not carrying a daypack, this is what I'm usually toting for the casual hike. It carries a small hatchet, small nalgene water bottle, mini kit, first aid kit, binos, and a field guide or two. Also there's usually a light scandi fixed blade in there as a backup to the fixed blade on my hip. A mora or maybe something from Kellam. I have a black one almost identical to it that I carry to work. I keep a mini kit, first aid kit, leatherman and books, pens and papers, etc, in that one.

shoulderbag1b.jpg

I do have a pouch I often carry around my neck. This is a mini kit and if it isn't around my neck, it's usually in my coat pocket, shoulder bag, or day pack. I have several (or more :lol: ) of these so I can just leave them in a bag or pack and know they are there.

minikit1c.jpg

I have several nice leather shoulder possible pouches but I almost always opt for the canvas bag because it carries more. It's a gear junky defect. :lol:

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
Tenbears Thats pretty much what I use. I've cut a hole in the bottom of one of the front pockets so that my GB hunters axe can be dropped straight in with the handle sticking out through the hole. (the left hand one as you look at it, then when the bag is on my shoulder the axe handle hangs at my right at the back.) The other front pocket holds smaller bits and pieces and the main compartment is big enough for just about anything I want to carry. One really useful thing is the waterproof liner in mine that snaps out. I've stitched 2 belt loops to it so that I can take it out and use it as a foraging bag if I find a big bunch of mushrooms etc. or if I'm gathering berrys I slip it on my belt and slide it round to the front so I can just drop them in. Means I can wash it seperately and don't get the rest of my kit covered in berry juice/mushroom bits.

George

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
tenbears10 said:
Guys, is a traditional game bag good for this kind of use? You could add axe loops and internal pockets etc. They have the benefit of being waterproofed material.

This kind of thing

What do you think?

Bill

Hmmm, those look interesting but I've not seen 'em before with the external mesh pockets. Must be more common over there than here. I don't particularly like the idea of the mesh as it seems like it would want to snag a lot on twigs, branches, and briars.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Bob Hurley said:
*Leather bag (well wax/oil treated), leather strap with buckle adjustment
*Place for a small axe (a Vaughn, in my case) on the back, handle down
*Maybe a slot/loop inside or out for a large ferro firestarter
*Tiny first aid kit with spare small compass and small firestarter
*Small amount of food, mostly jerky and the like (no cooking)
*A little room for small foraged things

Ideas?
That sounds perfect to me. :biggthump

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Hoodoo said:
Hmmm, those look interesting but I've not seen 'em before with the external mesh pockets. Must be more common over there than here. I don't particularly like the idea of the mesh as it seems like it would want to snag a lot on twigs, branches, and briars.

I think the idea of the mesh is an expandable pocket to hold a bit of extra game if you have a good day but you don't need to carry a big bag all the time. They are a traditional british pattern and the mesh is strong (a bit thinner than paracord but unlikely to rip).

Bill

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE