which pack are you using & why?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Day pack- Old Karrimor 20l which just won't give up.

Main 3 season pack- Gossamer Gear Mariposa plus 73l. Very light at 680g, huuuuuge mesh pockets to store my tarp and loads more, straps are hollow for stuffing socks/gruds into.

I also use a stripped down 35-45l climbing pack from Mountain warehouse with a foam pad for shorter stuff.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Lowe Alpine Sting. Pouches or medic pouch for daysack and Pack for overnights to week trips. Why? Comfortable, strong versatile, plenty of space (rarely fill it when out, always handy to have space for stuff you may find!) and did I mention Comfortable?

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Canvas_Crusader.jpg

This has become my main pack now but I use a German Army Mountain Pack for my day trips or quick over-nights.

Mountain_Pack-2.jpg

I've just replaced this old one for an unused one with better buckles.

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
My first and only love, The Berghaus Vulcan....

Stayed with me for over 2 decades and never complained when I stripped her down for a night out, or when I tarted her up later on in life for a week or two away :lmao::lmao:

I have to agree with you Martin, the best bag I ever had.

Liam

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Osprey Atmos 35 for a daypack
POD Alpine 40 for a winter climbing daysack
Karrimor Alpiniste 60 (Generation IIa) was my original winter pack or overnighter pack
Berghaus Vector, my first sack, anybody remember them?
Osprey Aether 70 for backpacking
Aguille Droites for bushcraft
POD XPOD for winter mountaineering

When in the employ of the military I used Crusader, Sabre and Munro sacks.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
ALpkit gourdon drybag sack in 20l capacity and black for day walks. It is very light and at 20l volume it makes me limit what I take so I never overload on kit. Used to do day walks with the sorts of weight I now do overnighters with but this bag stopped all that nonesense. Of course it is my second one now and cost £12.50 for the first one and only £20 for my current one. At £20 for a drybag sack you can't really go wrong.

I use a Berghaus alpine climbing sack for my backpacking sack which is abot 15 years or more in age and carries weights up to about 30kg comfortably. Well as comfortably as that sort of weight can really be. Love it as it is only 1.6kg for a 60 litre sack despite it having a proper back system that can be adjusted to create a very stable carry for scrambling in and has very tough fabric too. I have scrambled with an 18kg load in this sack before now. The straps that run from the body of the pack part way up the sack down to the hipbelt padded fins and back to the body again at the sack's base where it can be cinched in by a single adjustment ladder lock buckle. This pulls the pack in higher up the pack and at the base into the hipbelt so it practically clamps to your back like a limpet for climbing.

I also have a custom Aiguille Alpine sack which has an extra few inches to match my back length better. The base model is a 47 litre so this one is probably getting up to 55 to 60 litres capacity. It has a mix of lighter weight fabric than the base model too as I chose the fabric as well as getting it made longer. Aiguille are good for that customisation. It is about 1kg in weight despite it being very durable. The only issue I have is the single central alloy stave as I can't get it comfortable. It sticks into the base of my spine causing intense pain. I know it can be bent to shape but after a few trips I still haven't worked out what shape it needs to be to be comfortable so it has been shelved for now.

I have other sacks that also don't get much use anymore on the grounds of not being light enough or too big a volume for day walks and too small for overnighters.

I also have an inov8 3 litre bumbag which gets used for challenge walks occasionally.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
My day pack is MaxP Pygmy Falcon as it fits all my work kit and handling equipment in an organised way...

That's how to pack a daysack! Not too different from my own either tbh. Though mine is a cheap molle pack I bought it because of all of the pockets to store gear in it, Ill get some pics posted up tomorrow!

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Yep, Don't mind the weight, she's comfortable and I've replaced her knicker elastic since this photo too :lmao:

I'm with you on that, it's not too heavy on its own TBH, though filling it with the kitchen sink as we do is our own fault. The 120L PLCE bergan with rocket packs is way heavier in my experience.

I too need to change the elastic on the hood, Bojit gave some good advice on a similiar thread.

Liam

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Thanks Martin,

I used to use one of my gran's knitting needles to thread cord through Judo trouser tops years ago. I was considering doing the same with the Vulcan's hood but might just get a bodkin.

Cheers,

Liam

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
An opened-out wire coathanger is good for threading.

That's so obvious I'd not given it a thought.

I have one of those for the wee household emergencies like unblocking sinks, porcelain thrones etc.

Might just give it a wipe down and give it a go...

Liam

for me it is the karrimor predator 50ltr pack i bought a while back.
add the side pockets specially made for it and its a nice small sized full pack or you can add the omni pouch on the front and two standard side pockets and its massive.
i use it so much that other than unpacking the cook kit and replacing dry foods i leave it fully loaded ready for the next time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE