Which hammock? Please advise.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Daleios

Jun 2, 2015
Yorkshire
I'm wanting to start "Wild camping" and have been looking into using a hammock rather than a conventional tent. I really like the idea of hammock camping, but which one to choose? Iv herd good things about both the warbonnet Blackbird and the dd jungle hammock. Has any one any advice on any of these or any I may have overlooked?

XRV John

Nomad
Jan 23, 2015
Scunthorpe
I'm new to hammocking and went for a DD Frontline and their 4x4 tarp. Five nights out now and I'm a very happy tree hanger. Had lots of help from folks from here at meets helping me get things set up perfectly.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
DD jungle had served me well for a few years until a wayward knife tore it (my own fault not the hammock) and is a really good option. Saying that I replaced it hastily with a £13 generic parachute nylon hammock from Amazon including delivery as I was going camping and that weekend and was strapped for cash. Put it this way, I didn't bother buying another DD. To me they're much the same barring the mozzy net and I use a tube net anyway. That said I'm a shameless gear butcher and adapt pretty much everything I buy to suit me! That said DD you're guaranteed quality. And if you find you don't like sleeping in them it'll sell well on here. No exp with the blackbird but sure it's a fine hammock

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
I ( and Daughter) am a happy owner of 4 DD hamocks over the years. They are a quality built product that do exactly what is asked of them and have a range of hammocks on offer, explained on their web site. They can be used "out of the box" or with a few mods altered to fit your style / need. Even be used as a bivvi should there be no trees!! No connections and all that but well recommended.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I got a TW ultralight hammock a good few years ago and it is still going very well, I'm 5,10 and think it's a reasonable size, but at 6,3 it maybe too short for you. I have a feeling if you talk to the chap at TW he may get one made to your specification [It depends on how well he's communication is with his production guy though]

They are said to cope with 80 kg - I'm just about that and I've been in it with 3 children as well, so it's definitely strong enough for that :) I was happy enough to get another 3 so my kids will leave me along in mine - at that price [and weight] I can cope with carrying a couple :)

Chaard

Forager
Jul 9, 2013
Reading
I have the DDTRAVEL. V happy with it but I'm 5'10" so maybe go for the travel XL.

The waterproof bottom means you can sleep on the ground if needed but it can get a bit condensationy on chilly nights

Daleios

Jun 2, 2015
Yorkshire
I have the DDTRAVEL. V happy with it but I'm 5'10" so maybe go for the travel XL.

The waterproof bottom means you can sleep on the ground if needed but it can get a bit condensationy on chilly nights
Being able to use it on the ground is one of the reasons I was drawn to the DD, that and that it already comes with a lot of the required gear (tree slings, carbs and mozzi net).

When u say it can get condensation, do u mean just when you us either on the ground or when hanging or both?

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Check out hennesey Hammocks - they're pricey but offer a complete system with the shelter included. Personally though, I recently bought a hammock from ukhammocks and am very impressed. Hand made to order in the UK and they will also customise the hammock to your spec. I bought a basic hammock for £54 (inc whoopie sling suspension) but the top of the range hammock is £130 and is very similar design to the blackbird

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Being able to use it on the ground is one of the reasons I was drawn to the DD, that and that it already comes with a lot of the required gear (tree slings, carbs and mozzi net).

When u say it can get condensation, do u mean just when you us either on the ground or when hanging or both?

I suffered from really bad condensation when hanging in the DD travel - that and the size issues made me move it on. Especially as I was taking a groundsheet to stand on anyway.

Hennessey hammocks are good but make sure you get the Deluxe (bigger). Only heard good things about the blackbird - but there are also other cottage vendors (check out hammockforums.net). The Dutchware hammocks are basic but come highly recommended too.

I got a hammock bliss sky bed bug free as it allows me to use my sleep mat but also gives me a flat lay.

Daleios

Jun 2, 2015
Yorkshire
I suffered from really bad condensation when hanging in the DD travel - that and the size issues made me move it on. Especially as I was taking a groundsheet to stand on anyway.

That's definitely worth taking into consideration and to be honest has ruled that hammock off my list.

I have been looking originally at the DD jungle hammock that comes with a "detachable" waterproof layer attached by velcro underneath the hammock. Again please excuse me if this is a stupid question I'm new to this swinging in the trees, but if this layer was detached would this then mean that it would be breathable?

Iv looked on the DD website and obviously there isn't anything saying "not breathable when attached"

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
That's definitely worth taking into consideration and to be honest has ruled that hammock off my list.

I have been looking originally at the DD jungle hammock that comes with a "detachable" waterproof layer attached by velcro underneath the hammock. Again please excuse me if this is a stupid question I'm new to this swinging in the trees, but if this layer was detached would this then mean that it would be breathable?

Iv looked on the DD website and obviously there isn't anything saying "not breathable when attached"

The waterproof layer would be used as a splash guard over a down underblanket. (You need insulation under you that isn't compressed otherwise you get a cold back.)

Personally having done it myself I'd steer clear of the DD's and TW hornets. The style of attached bug net doesn't let you lie asymmetrically.

I'd start with a simple large hammock, then add a separate bug net (but I have the benefit of hindsight).
Hammock:
http://www.dutchwaregear.com/netless-hammocks.html (Olive green Poly D single - I'd get the cinch buckle suspension, it's so easy to use, and a ridgeline)
Bug net:
http://www.dutchwaregear.com/fronkey-style-bugnet.html

There will be import duty though.

Last edited:

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
You won't go wrong with one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Enjoydeal-O...e=UTF8&qid=1433360892&sr=8-2&keywords=hammock

It's pretty much the same as the old group buy hammocks that we had here on BCUK, that I used for years before I bought a Blackbird XLC. I still can't choose between the two; I want to like the BB XLC more because it was so much more expensive, but to be honest, I sleep really well in both.

I'm 6' 1" and I sleep really well in mine, and my 6'3" brother in law does the same in his.

If you do buy one of these, you'll have to get your own suspension etc. (either make or buy), and make a structural ridgeline to suit your height, but that's easy enough and I (or many others on here) will help you with that.

If the worst happens and you decide that you don't like sleeping in a hammock, you will still have a sweet, lightweight hammock for the garden, woods or beach that hasn't cost you a fortune.

Cheers, Michael.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE