Which finishing wax??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
Hi all,

I've just finished oiling a knife handle with linseed oil, and I think I now need to put some finishing wax on it to, well, finish it... :rolleyes:

Not sure which finishing wax would be best though, having never used any finishing wax before. The knife handle is looking really nice now that the oil has thoroughly soaked in, so I don't want the finishing wax to change the colour/appearance of the wood.

Anyone got any suggestions as to a good finishing wax to use? And any tips of using it? Or indeed do I even *need* to use it??

Cheers,
Dan

jim_w

Tenderfoot
Jun 25, 2005
York
You certainly don't need to use wax - I finished my knife handle with linseed oil, and I haven't noticed any problems arising from not waxing it. It may help with waterproofing or something, but I'm sure the experts will explain all that soon! ;)

The only thing to bear in mind is that you never really finish oiling something - you've got to carry on oiling it periodically for ever, so I assume you'd have to apply new wax each time too... Or maybe the wax fixes the oil so you don't have to re-apply (doubtful). I think wax just makes the surface more shiny and polished, whereas oil actually improves the properties of the wood.

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
Cheers jim_w!

I'm not interested in having the handle nice and shiny (it already looks good with just oil on it actually...), so I think i'll stick with just the linseed oil, and as you said, re-oil every now and then!

How often do you need to re-oil a knife handle, out of interest?

Also, as a side question, would one need to periodically re-oil a knife handle such as a woodlore? Anyone?

Cheers,
Dan

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
The old addage of...
Once a day for a week
Once a week for a month
Once a month for a year
Once a year for life

is normally used.

Cheers

Mark

hyfan

Tenderfoot
Jul 1, 2004
Beds
Hi you do not say which wood you used for your handle. In most cases I use Danish oil its a bit more expensive than linseed oil.Some tropical hardwoods are naturally oily so this will have an effect on the finish.To get a really good look on the wood try some Danish oil and some v fine wet and dry (100-1200grit) Then polish with a dry clean cloth.You get a mat finnish but I think this is what your after. Suggest you also look on British blades as there are articles on there to be found as well as in the knife section of this forum.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE