Which Berry is this and did I miss a tasty treat?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I was up the hills today and came across a lot of these. Never seen them before any ideas and did I miss a tasty treat for lunch.

berries.jpg

Didgeridoohan

Tenderfoot
You didn't miss anything, yet...

That's unripe Cloudberries. In a short while they'll go golden orange and then you're in for a treat.

Where I come from we call them the gold of the forest. We make jam out of them and use them on just about anything. Absolutely marvelous warm on vanilla ice cream!

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Those are supposed to be really rare in Scotland. Nice find :D
Mid July to near the end of August is usual for harvesting.

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sounds about right :D
They found seeds in the post ex of the underwater dig at the crannog on loch tay at Fearnan. It surprised them because they're considered rare now, yet c500bce they grew like brambles.

The plants need both male and female ones to produce fruit.

atb,
M

Papa Tac

Jul 13, 2012
Codroy Valley, NL, Canada
Cloudberry indeed, but here in Newfoundland we call them bakeapples, supposedly an english corruption of the french "baie qu'appelle".
They grow in abundance on the bogs and marshes of Newfoundland, as well as throughout Labrador and Quebec.
They make a lovely liqueur, as well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE