Which Air Rifle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ScotsSurvival

Oct 12, 2010
Scotland
Well I am sure by his silenece, never meeting me and him not knowing I was shooting at his pheasents would be a good sign of his consent to do so lol. In saying that if it would not do in a pheasent thats not a biggy really.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I'm liking the look of the Weihrauch HW77.

For rabbit, pigeon etc would you recommend .22 or .177

.22 gives a harder punch for knocking down a rabbit, .177 gives better penetration for getting through the flight muscles of a pigeon. I'd go for .22 and make sure you hit the pigeon in the head!

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
.22 gives a harder punch for knocking down a rabbit, .177 gives better penetration for getting through the flight muscles of a pigeon. I'd go for .22 and make sure you hit the pigeon in the head!

I prefer throat shots as if your high you hit the head, if low you hit above the crop, a shot to the back between the shoulders is probably the most sure way of dropping one, but they dont always present the opportunity :)

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Just got back into it myself.Ninja Jr wanted to shoot .22rf at school so I thought we should buy a target air rifle to teach him the rudiments of gun safety etc.
I got a pcp Hammerli as it is so heavy he won't be tempted to take it out of the house on his own!I remembered when my dad got my first rifle.Weirauch HW 35E
springer in .22.Also very heavy , also very accurate , also very lethal bunnies-wise.The new one is in .177 and scarily accurate at 40 yards.My old 35E was never fired at a bunny
or a woody over about 25 yards.
If I were you Trunks I'd get a HW springer and a really good scope.As long as you can shoot 1" groups at 25 yards you will hunt successfully and eat well.
BTW just bought a very old Logun S16 as a project for hunting so will keep you posted when it is ready.
Cheers , Simon

walshy155

Banned
Aug 10, 2011
Llanelli, South Wales
I use a Webley & Scott MKIII .22 rifle, it's over 50 years old and it's in very good condition and powerful with a new spring, I've been told to sell it as they are worth anywhere from 100-500 pound.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Right then. I have come to a decision - sort of :)

I'll stick with my BSA for now & get a good scope.

Save the pennies for a HW97K, unless someone on here wants to sell one at a good price :)

Still not sure about .22 or .177 though. What are the pro's & cons of each?

As long as you can shoot 1" groups at 25 yards you will hunt successfully and eat well.

As far as my accuracy goes - I used to be a good shot; back in the cadets i got my marksman badge down the local range & RAF marksman badge on camp with an SA80 - hopefully my eyes haven't deteriorated too much over the years.

So, any sight recomendations? Something that will fit on my BSA but then transfer onto the HW97K when i get it :)

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
The .177 v .22 debate has been running for as long as there have been airguns! I will happily use either, but really prefer the .177. It seems to suit me better.

From what I remember the dovetails on the older BSA's aren't all that deep so you may have trouble stopping the scope from moving along the dovetails.

J S Ramsbottom does cracking deals on scopes. Of course, you need a "springer rated" scope and I would strongly recommend Sportsmatch mounts.

If you can get along to your local airgun club you'll most likely get loads of help and advice.

Dave

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
i have a Air Arms TX200 Hunter Carbine which comes with inbuild silencer. Great rifle for a novice.

Attachments

• AA TX200HC 003.jpg
    AA TX200HC 003.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 20
  • AA TX200HC 002.jpg
    AA TX200HC 002.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 17

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Not a bad riffle for their price but been told they don’t hold much air for many shots which is why people tend to go for the S400. But then what do I know I’m happy with my springer for the moment. :eek:

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
With the S200, you can carry a spare, fully charged reservoir, which just swaps out for the emptier one. If you're hunting, how many shots do you really think you'll need? 3or 4 bunnies is all most people will want to carry, which is quite a bit of meat anyway.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE