Which Air Rifle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nobby8126

Nomad
Oct 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
Gonna get hammered for this I know but I normally shoot a webley tracker.22 which is a rock steady springer if a little heavy. but recently bought an xs 78 co2 in .177. had it tuned and modified to carry either bulk fill or 4 cartridges instead of the normal 2, 11.4ft/lb and the lot including tune and mods was still under £100. took it out today during the howling wind and sideways rain and it comfortably dispatched 2 bug upto 35 yd. would really recomend these as a very cheap alternative to pcp, it shoots really nice and is pellet on pellet at 30yd

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
if you are looking for the best bombproof springer though it would be HW77 an oldie but a goody

A lot depends on what it is to be used for and your budget of course!

Dave

I'm liking the look of the Weihrauch HW77.

For rabbit, pigeon etc would you recommend .22 or .177

So glad someone mentioned the HW77. I just picked one up in .22, a little bruised perhaps, but with a Hawke scope on it, for £160. It was sold as a HW57k, but definitely isn't. Plus it pinged 11.5 on the chrono first shot, then 11.8. I think it's going to be re-blued and a little attention paid to the stock to get it back up to new.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Gonna get hammered for this I know but I normally shoot a webley tracker.22 which is a rock steady springer if a little heavy. but recently bought an xs 78 co2 in .177. had it tuned and modified to carry either bulk fill or 4 cartridges instead of the normal 2, 11.4ft/lb and the lot including tune and mods was still under £100. took it out today during the howling wind and sideways rain and it comfortably dispatched 2 bug upto 35 yd. would really recomend these as a very cheap alternative to pcp, it shoots really nice and is pellet on pellet at 30yd

Very underated gun there my friend, its not so great out of the box but like you say very reasonable and easily tunable. I am currently mulling over the idea of buying a smk th78d with the thumbhole in the stock.
If you want some good info on chinese guns check out these guys on this website -

http://ukchineseairgunforum.myfreeforum.org/index.php?sid=5ed21d00a87ba8c8a45427dd4ebf1bb9

A guy called welsh willy is a member n there and owns a gun shop, he does all members a good deal if you contact him with what you want, he does packages including scopes and other stuff to get you going -

http://www.woodfield-gcp.co.uk/index.html

Hope this is some help mate
All the best
Steve

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
Of course, you could just get a Quackenbush air rifle and not worry about lack of muzzle energy anymore. http://www.quackenbushairguns.com/

jimimpala3.jpg

stephme.jpg

success.jpg

Last edited:

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
It came with a Hawke Sport HD 3-9x40 on it when i bought it.

Great scope but only has standard cross hairs not the mil spec to adding for widage and other stuff so its more guess work.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Beautiful. Thats what I'm getting come pay day :)

Any scope recommendations greatfully received!

I have an excellent scope recommendation. A Bushnell Sportsman 3-9x40. SportsmanGunCentre are having a clearout. No affiliation etc, but you'll pick one up for about £40 which is less than half RRP.

Spaniel man

Native
Apr 28, 2007
Somerset
I have an excellent scope recommendation. A Bushnell Sportsman 3-9x40. SportsmanGunCentre are having a clearout. No affiliation etc, but you'll pick one up for about £40 which is less than half RRP.

I'll second that on the Bushnell Sportsman, great scope, I had one for years. I now use a Bushnell 4-16 x 40 Dusk till Dawn (even better) on my Theoben:
IMG_0134.jpg

Pholland

Apr 26, 2012
Bognor Regis
image.jpgJust recently bought my new air riffle. The weihrauch HW100. What a loverly .22 gun with a 14 shot magazine and a silencer.
Got a couple of pheasants the other day too.
Trying to find good place for rabbits now.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Pholland; Good luck finding some rabbits. I've been trying for the past year to find Rabbit shooting grounds around Southampton. It appears Rabbits are thin on the ground around Hampshire and there are not many places taking on new shooters.

Nice PCP ;)

HW97KT is what I have and I love it. My latest rifle is .22. The calibre debate is never ending. I have "numb" fat fingers, their sensitivity dulled by years of tool use, a couple of burns and 7 years ago, white finger. I just find them easier to pick out of my pocket or tin especially on a cold day. .22 also look the business. My kill rate is't any better or worse off.......hc

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have TX200 in .177 it can easily outperform me, and a HW80 .22, if I had to choose just 1 to survive the end of the world or Zombie invasion then it would be the HW80, yes it is not a good looking gun or light but it does exactly what I want, when I want it, it is 35 years old and still on its original spring and seals too

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I got myself a .22 webley Exocet a while back but I've not even had a chance to zero it yet :aargh4: :puppy_dog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE