Where to start?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Look for books in your local library by John Darling. I believe he has passed away, but he is seen as the top source of information for people in the air rifle hunting scene. Some info seems a bit dated but for the most part it still holds true. He made a gun lamp for instance from a massive car lamp, strapped it to his head and wears a motorbike battery on a rope around his waist! Nowadays you can get lamps made to fit atop your rifle and they are incredibly bright, but you could tape a Tesco torch to your rifle, it has plenty of light output and is 8 quid!

If they don't have it in your local library, ask if they can get it in from another one or get it stocked in your library. They are good books and will teach you a lot of the basics.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
Look for books in your local library by John Darling. I believe he has passed away, but he is seen as the top source of information for people in the air rifle hunting scene. Some info seems a bit dated but for the most part it still holds true. He made a gun lamp for instance from a massive car lamp, strapped it to his head and wears a motorbike battery on a rope around his waist! Nowadays you can get lamps made to fit atop your rifle and they are incredibly bright, but you could tape a Tesco torch to your rifle, it has plenty of light output and is 8 quid!

If they don't have it in your local library, ask if they can get it in from another one or get it stocked in your library. They are good books and will teach you a lot of the basics.

i have a copy of air rifle hunting by john darling, its a few years old but it has some brilliant imformation and advice, i like it because he only talks about using spring piston rifles rather than pcp's which seem to be the norm now days, im sure the multishot ones are more efficiant, but perfer the look and feel of break barrels.
good book, it will cover everything you need to know.

Intertidal

Forager
Jan 26, 2008
Cornwall
Not wishing to hijack the thread, but would that be the same John Darling that wrote 'Bass Fishing'? I know he passed away a few years ago - just wondered if it was the same guy.
Good writer

Nick

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Lol. I saw the title of the thread and instantly thought of my much read copy of Air Rifle Hunting by John Darling:lmao:
Even though he did convert to pre-charged rifles, first with a Theoben Rapid 7, then a Daystate of some sort, the book predates them and is great encouragement for what you can achieve with a single shot break barrel!

Books can still be bought:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Air-Rifle-H...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1251315207&sr=1-1

I was assuming that you did mean hunting with an air rifle?

I was also going to recommend this one by Fred Asbell, but it doesn't appear to be readily available in the UK. I can't recall where I got mine, could have been the US. While it is about deer, there are some excellent tips in it about stalking and hide making. Its also interesting to broaden ones reading 'cause you never know when you might find a really good idea. ;)
http://www.cabelas.com/p-0014761613575a.shtml

Back on air gun hunting...I learned quite a lot from reading Air Gun World and Air Gunner. I don't know what the quality of the articles is like now, having not really looked at them for the last 10 years or so.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
Back on air gun hunting...I learned quite a lot from reading Air Gun World and Air Gunner. I don't know what the quality of the articles is like now, having not really looked at them for the last 10 years or so.

i have a few recent copys, some good feildcraft tips and such, though they tend to revew some "pants" rifles and give them rave reveiw's!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE