Where to find horses hoof fungus

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
Hi,

Recently whenever I've been out and about, I've been trying to find horses hoof fungus so that I can make some tinder from it. However I can't see it anywhere. :(

I know it grows on dead birch trees, but I think I recall hearing somewhere that it only grows further up north?? Is that right? :confused:

I live in Hampshire in the south of UK, does anyone know if it even grows down here? And what sort of environment might be a sure place to find some?

Thanks,
Dan

Dan,

To quote "Mushrooms and Toadstools of Britain and Europe" by Paul Sterry (not from memory)

"Most common in the Highlands of Scotland, where it grows on birches; in Southern England and mainland Europe, it is much scarcer and usually found on beech"

also says can be seen at any time. although i've not seen one down here yet! :confused:

Although (and here's the thing) Collins Nature Guides "Mushrooms and Toadstools of B&E" says:
"Habitat and Distribution : Mostly on dying beech, rarely on birch of other deciduous trees; frequent" :confused:

I'm up for a day searching if you believe the old adage "two pairs of eyes are better than one! :D
Neil

Slimey

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2005
Hertfordshire
When I was on the Greenhorn course earlier in the year Shinobo found some. Not sure exactly where though, maybe he can tell us?

This was in Ashdown forest, so it can be found down south. Not sure I'd recognise it if I saw it again though. The small piece I got has dried out nicely and it lights very easily.

Simon.

qweeg500

Forager
Sep 14, 2003
Hampshire
Dan,
I've only ever seen one horses hoof fungus in Hampshire on a rotting beech. It was pretty old. I tried making amadou (I fly fish) but alas - failed miserably. The remainder of the fungus does hold an ember for ages though, so if you're lucky enough to come across any down here it's worth having a go.

Matt

qweeg500

Forager
Sep 14, 2003
Hampshire
Dan,
If it's any help I found my bit of HHF on a fallen beech in a part of the woods that was designated water meadow. It was quite sheltered and damp/muddy underfoot. I would have to say though anyone who sees this stuff regularly in Scotland will be better able to tell you about the right conditions it's to be found in.

Good luck,

Matt

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I find Fomes fomentaria on birch in a damp area, and rarely is the fungus confined to just one tree; the neighbouring ones are usually infected too. The smallest I've got is about 3cm across, the largest must be over 30cm. Usually I take the ones between 15 and 20cm if I can reach them. The other one that's often found on the birch is Betulina piptoporous and it holds a burning ember really well when it's dried out. Not much use for dye though.
Cheers,
Toddy

Bushpig

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2005
www.spiritgarden.co.uk
Hi there, It may be more common up north however I found some on in devon only a few weeks ago. I did a little reading and learnt that I had to remove the hard outer casing aswell as the spores. I was then left with this brown firm fungus material. I have read that it can be prepared by soaking in a solution and rolling flat ? Or the pre historic use was to scratch it before use ( i am thinking by scratch it, is it meant to scruff up the surface and therefore light easier? ) .

My first attempt to get a spark on it must have taken 5 minutes of constant attempts with my fire steel, managed to get an ember on it in the end...however it was not the easiest method at all. Does anyone here have furthur experience with this/ . ?

Booosh

Leon

Sep 14, 2003
Lincolnshire
Bushpig said:
Hi there, It may be more common up north however I found some on in devon only a few weeks ago. I did a little reading and learnt that I had to remove the hard outer casing aswell as the spores. I was then left with this brown firm fungus material. I have read that it can be prepared by soaking in a solution and rolling flat ? Or the pre historic use was to scratch it before use ( i am thinking by scratch it, is it meant to scruff up the surface and therefore light easier? ) .

My first attempt to get a spark on it must have taken 5 minutes of constant attempts with my fire steel, managed to get an ember on it in the end...however it was not the easiest method at all. Does anyone here have furthur experience with this/ . ?

Booosh

Hi,
This thread contains a few ideas....hope it helps:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=3634

Oct 16, 2003
Surrey
Haven't got a clue how to post a link, but if you search on my name and horses hoof fungus, I started a thread a few months ago after being successful with some fungus I found in Scotland.

Cheers, Andrew

Bushpig

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2005
www.spiritgarden.co.uk
As an extra note, I foun some more today on a dead stump. Huge amounts, however the size doesan't always mean a good harvest. I found on this specimen that there was very little of the midle layer between the outcasing and the spores. I guess you just have to hit it lucky.

Booosh

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I'm keeping my eyes peeled in Mid Wales, haven't come across any yet though.
Despite the ppopular misconception, it hasn't rained here for weeks and with so little top-soil, most of our rain floods down to the rivers in double quick time, hence swampy areas are a bit hard to find.
I'll be out again next weekend, wandering the highways and byeways.

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE