where can I bag a few bunnies?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
HI,

Any idea's where I can go to hunt rabbits? I don't live near any large tracts of land (apart from the new forest) - are we allowed to hunt them on common land or parks?

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Hi Dave,

Short answer is no.

You need landowners permission to hunt anything and national forests and parks are public places so not only would you get a slapped wrist for not having permission your also likely to get SO19 or whatever the Police Armed Response Group are called taking pot shots at you.

Best bet is either find someone else who shoots, there are a few here, who live near you and go out with them or start approaching local farmers etc for permission.

Theywill probably expect to you be insured so have a look at those organisations that provide public liability cover such as

http://www.basc.org.uk/

http://www.airgunshooting.org/

or look for a local club

http://www.ukahft.org.uk/airgunclubs.htm

David

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
i would love to join a local air gun club but i cant find one in ipswich
leon

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
Everything that is said here and...

Have a look for local forester and coppicers info on the web. They loose loadsamoney to vermin and appropriate control will probably be in their management plan.

Public Liability Insurance, a letter from the landowner making you the 'appointed person' and a good knowledge of where there are any rights of way are minimum requirements.

Having a loaded air rifle where you shouldn't be is taken very seriously.

Someone shot me while I was cycling home from the pub one night and I thought the response (the full on swat squad ) was a bit excessive. I made it into the local paper and they called me a 'young man' which almost made the bruise on my wrist worth it

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
xairbourne said:
Are you a law abiding citizen? Or do you like to take risks?

HI,

I'm law abiding who likes to take risks :)

But I'm not going back to where I was 10 years ago - hence my question before jumping in with both size10's!

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
Thanks for the advise. Following on from this, if / when I find somewhere suitable to bag a bunnie, any advise on how to go about this?

I guess at dawn / dusk from a quite vantage point would be good. Any tips?

I'm going to take the wife's air-rifle out to get it's sight's professionally sorted and overhauled before trying to practice in the garden.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Fields where they keep horses are a good place to ask as the bunnie holes can be dangerous to the horses...therefore many places like that are happy to have you help control the rabbit population.

You shouldn't be short of places to get bunnies in Dorset! lol :lmao:

Cheers,

Bam. :)

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
dave k said:
HI,

Any idea's where I can go to hunt rabbits? I don't live near any large tracts of land (apart from the new forest) - are we allowed to hunt them on common land or parks?

NO YOU ARE CERTAINLY NOT!

Wild animals are just that, wild.

That is until the die, then the become the possession of the landowner on the land they died on. If you follow me.

You can not just go and kill animals, that would breach the Wildlife and countryside act. However the Pests act make the landowner responsible for controlling 'pests'. With the landowners permission, you become what is known as an "authorised" person or for want of a better word, you can then shoot / destroy pests on the land for which you have been give permission.

In simple terms, you need permission.

Then of course you have criminal damage and theft, trespassing with a firearm (if you use any kind of 'gun') and poaching. I hope to display and reinforce the fact that you must seek and gain permission before you go and hunt!

If you lived closer to me, I would take you and show you the ropes. The easiest way is to find someone who can take you out. Failing that you might be lucky and find a landowner who will give you permission BUT you really need to know your stuff first, which you obviously don't.

How we you planning to 'hunt' the rabbits?

John

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
Hunter_zero said:
NO YOU ARE CERTAINLY NOT!

Wild animals are just that, wild.

That is until the die, then the become the possession of the landowner on the land they died on. If you follow me.

You can not just go and kill animals, that would breach the Wildlife and countryside act. However the Pests act make the landowner responsible for controlling 'pests'. With the landowners permission, you become what is known as an "authorised" person or for want of a better word, you can then shoot / destroy pests on the land for which you have been give permission.

In simple terms, you need permission.

Then of course you have criminal damage and theft, trespassing with a firearm (if you use any kind of 'gun') and poaching. I hope to display and reinforce the fact that you must seek and gain permission before you go and hunt!

If you lived closer to me, I would take you and show you the ropes. The easiest way is to find someone who can take you out. Failing that you might be lucky and find a landowner who will give you permission BUT you really need to know your stuff first, which you obviously don't.

How we you planning to 'hunt' the rabbits?

John

HI,

Yes - I understand that you require permission - hence the question's really. :)

I think I'm more inclined to put it on the back burner till I've had more experience actually shooting targets - I've done a bit of air-rifle shooting before, but I'd prefer to be a proper shot before thinking about adventuring out anyplace...

dave k said:
HI,

Yes - I understand that you require permission - hence the question's really. :)

I think I'm more inclined to put it on the back burner till I've had more experience actually shooting targets - I've done a bit of air-rifle shooting before, but I'd prefer to be a proper shot before thinking about adventuring out anyplace...

Hi Dave,

May I please also add that it would be practicle and humane to make sure, if you intend to use an air rifle, that it is up to the job - i.e. capable of a nice clean kill!

Phil.

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
Too Much Kit To Carry said:
Hi Dave,

May I please also add that it would be practicle and humane to make sure, if you intend to use an air rifle, that it is up to the job - i.e. capable of a nice clean kill!

Phil.

Hi,

Sure. I was going to take the air gun to a professional place to get it serviced, sights re-sighted (if that's the word!) and get it pumped up to the legal limit.

E

Enok

Once you have permison on suitable land buy a gun mounted lamp.

They can be quite expensive but i use one regurly with my air arms s410 and they are deffinetly worth the money :D . I would also recomend a red filter for the lamp and a silencer for your gun ( if you can get one )

P.S Why dont u try reading a few airgun magazines like "air gunner".

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i have got the number for the colchester club and hopefully my mum will ring them tommorow
will they let a 14 yr old join?
once i have got a bit of practise i am thinking of buying my own gun and doing a bit of shooting if i can find permission somewhere
i like the look of the spring guns, i will have about £150 - £200 what do you reccomend
i was going to get a shotgun and go on my uncles shoot but i think i will use an air rifle and then move onto a shotgun
i live in a village and there are a few farms here, do you think they would need any pest control ?
leon

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Don't know whereabouts in Darzet you are, but check out my old gun club- Christchurch Gun Club on St Catherine's Hill, Christchurch. They do firearms, but also have a dedicated air rifle club/range and also do field target shooting in the trees next to the range. The shop near St Catherine's Hill, TAL Arms, should be able to help you out if you need help/info. I imagine if you turn up on a Sat or Sun morning, they will help you out at the club. Good luck!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE