What's your day hike kit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
B

brian6244

When you're just going out for a day hike in the woods with no plans for spending the night, what do you carry with you?

04-09-05_0817.jpg

i usually have my folding saw blade, case i see possible walking sticks ect.swiss army knife,water canteen,kuksa,first aid kit,nature refrence book of some kind,sticky bar,poncho,camera,half ounce of baccy,and my all important flask of tea. :) oh forgot scope.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I carry the clothes on my back (duh!) and inside my daypack I carry:

-thick pair wool socks

-HH Lifa Active polypro shirt

-thin pair cross-country skiing gloves

-Soft-Shell jacket (soon to be replaced, it is delaminating)

- Army poncho (in case it gets too wet for the soft-shell, compacts down into a nice tight ball)

-1 quart canteen

-toque (Canadian spelling for woolen cap)

-Esbit folding stove and tablets

-surival tin (look for the thread from today)

-Swiss Army knife

-Lunch (of course)

And that's it. All this fits comfortably into my bookbag that I have sitting right next to me here on campus.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Small 15L rucksac
F.A.Kit with the usual suspects + anti-histamines
Filled 1L Platypus
Sheath knife, Folding saw & Pruners
Purse, phone (they won't let me leave home without it! :confused: )
Fire steel & Tinder pouch
Finds bags & larger poly bags (I'm a gatherer :eek: )
Muesli bars & bag of dried fruit
Lipsyl, sunblock stick, witch hazel stick
Plastic scraper and tub for resin
Plant identification book, drawing pad and pencils & nowadays, digital camera.
work gloves,
4 1/2" WHS trowel & digging stick
Rope
Kitchen towel sheets
There's usually a stash of small pouch things always in the rucsac too, see this link...... :rolleyes:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=5998&page=2&pp=10&highlight=pocketses

Cheers,
Toddy

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
35ltr day pack
folding saw
my puma pro skinner knife
2ltrs water
waterproof thin jacket
collins gem (fungi) :eek:
gaiters
thinsulate gloves hat
boiled sweets
spare socks
spare insoles
pocket knife
compass
gps :p
para cord

oh you know not much :lmao:

If I've missed anything I'll edit it in :D

I knew I'd forget

Fero stick
anti histy wotsits
small first aid kit
food for the day
tobacco
tissues (just incase I sneeze or something)
digi camara

This is getting like the generation game.
I think thats it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Jon Pickett said:
Hi Toddy............Whats with the pointing trowel...............Jon

Philistine!! :eek: It's an archaeologist favourite tool! :D :rolleyes:
Actually I got so used to using it that I realised it was a damn good tool for digging up tubers, fungi and for prying off barks that I rarely go walkabout without it. :)
Now then, if you picked that up you're either an archaeo or a brickie....though the guys that fix chimneys use them too.... :confused:

Cheers,
Toddy

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
Toddy said:
Actually I got so used to using it that I realised it was a damn good tool for digging up tubers, fungi and for prying off barks that I rarely go walkabout without it. :)
Now then, if you picked that up you're either an archaeo or a brickie....though the guys that fix chimneys use them too.... :confused:

Cheers,
Toddy

Im a bricky and so is Jon :lmao:

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Toddy said:

Cheers,
Toddy
Yes I'm a bricky , though I would only use a whs for scratching with. I should of sussed it was for archaeology though. You use all sorts of builders tools, inc paint brushes.I think if I was given a job of digging up dead things,I would stay in the cab of the Jcb................Jon

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
My wandering about kit usually has...

Sheath knife,
Old knife I don't mind digging about with,
Green para cord,
Bright yellow Kevlar cord (thin),
Folding saw,
First Aid kit inc sewing stuff,
2 or 3 bin bags rolled up tight,
Placcy bags for gathering,
Ferro rod and tinder tin,
Bic lighter,
Bite and Sting relief,
Loo roll (not a whole one!),
Collins Fungi Gem,
Whistle,
Anti bacterial Hand wash gel (No water reqd),
A few plasti ties and some electrical tape,
Small DMT sharpener,
Digi Camera,
Bottle of drink and something to eat,
Assorted dust, leaves, twigs and chocolate wrappers that seem to always accumulate in my bag.

All carried in an old ex-army webbing back-pack that I made into a shoulder bag by fitting with a webbing belt as a strap.

I also never leave home without my SAK in my pocket and my muti-tool on my belt next to the inevitable mobile phone which seems to live switched off unless I'm working. Theres probably a dozen things I've missed, but thats the main items covered.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
If it's just me i take:

Sabre 45
Folding Saw
Frosts Mora and my Wilkinson Woodlore
Small Spoon Knife
Crusader Cup and stand + 3-4 sactchets of Green Heat
2L of water
Tea Bags & Powdered coffee ( i make a spoon when i fancy a brew)
Digi Camera & spare battery
First Aid Kit
Fire Steel & tinder pouch (kept on person)
Mob phone (Just in case, phone kept on silent so as not to disturb the surroundings)
Silly Hat & Poncho
Cordage
Possibles pouch (sharpening stone, sewing kit etc)
Toilet Roll
Spare pack of fags & a lighter
Small pouch to put my rubbish in, into which i pack a couple of small plastic bags for spent tea bags and other peoples rubbish.
Couple of packets of dried soup for lunch
pair of leather work gloves (nettle gathering)
Monocular (used 2 be binoculars)
and now the weather is closing in - my brand spanking new Swanni

Think thats about it, if im with my nephews i take all of the above, plus:

Bacon & sausages for the boys lunch
Bannock (pre cooked if fires are not allowed, dry mix if they are)
Hammock x 3 (one each, we each carry our own though)
Tarp x 2 (i carry one the eldest lad carries his, can get two hammocks under mine)

The boys just love setting up a camp and having a base, even if it is for just a day trip, must admit it is nice to set it all up and just lie there chilling out, the eldest nephew is quite content to lay in his hammock a watch and listen to his surrroundings - magic, the younger one is a bit lively for that though at the moment and wants to climb trees and run around, so somerimes i just take the eldest one for a quiet day out and then take the younger one for a hectic day out.

2-3l of extra fluid for the boys, usually dumped in my Sabre.
Good length of rope so they can play tarzan if vines are not around.
Folding spade just in case one of the boys gets caught out :eek:
Will sometimes take my billy if fires are allowed and have a proper cook up with the boys at lunch time, they love my sausage and bacon stew.

Think that's about it, jeez when you think about what you carry it's frightening :eek: , mind you when it's packed it's doesn't look as bad as it sounds :) .

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Jon Pickett said:
Yes I'm a bricky , though I would only use a whs for scratching with. I should of sussed it was for archaeology though. You use all sorts of builders tools, inc paint brushes.I think if I was given a job of digging up dead things,I would stay in the cab of the Jcb................Jon

Im a bricky and so is Jon

Hi guys,
The WHS one really is the best, tough, long lasting, not too springy (if they are it just fires your spoil everywhere) and the handle doesn't give me blisters even when I've been using if for days on end.
My brother made me a 12th scale pair of them that got made into earrings that I wore to my graduation :D They're surprisingly elegant :lmao:

We do use a lot of builders tools, lot of surveyors stuff too, and there are some sites where I'd have killed to have one of those little jcb thingies :(

Cheers,
Toddy

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
I always have a Victorinox lockblade Hunter SAK, compass tube w/tinder and fishkit, as well as a BSA Hotspark on my belt.

Carried in an old shoulder bag that I carry;

California Broadleaf White Sage (wand)
Pouch of tobacco
Notebook
Pencil
Eriksson Mora SwAK (carbon)
Victorinox Huntsman SAK
Tinder
Disposable and adjustable lighter
FAK
Water treatment (Chemical)
Bandana
Coffee filters (7)
Gallon size freezer grade ziploc bag
Jute twine
Industrial grade drum liner (55gal.)
TP

DISCO

Aug 18, 2004
SCOTLAND
4-6 hexi blocks
esbit stove
lighter
matches
light weight poncho
paracord
wire saw
survival blanket
orange bivi bag
water bottle
purification tablets
emergency food
trangia mess tin
wooden spoon
fak
torch and batteries
compass
whistle
swiss army knife (rucksack model).
cold steel srk.
this is carried in a fishing type vest.

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
Depends a bit on the location. In woods I know, and am known in, I'll use webbing as I like the way it sits without getting caught on low-hanging branches or riding up over my head when I lean forward. If it's a more public place then a sabre 45 comes across more friendly and less wannabe.

Inside are:
- set of three nested lifesystems stainless steel pans in their own case, holding a coleman F1 stove and 100cc canister of gas, clip on stabilisers for the stove, mini bic lighter or two, box of matches liberated from a posh bar, pot holder / over glove type thing cut down to size, few random puritabs, couple of hundred grammes of milk powder, tea bags, coffee sticks and sugar packets, baby spoon and fork (damn near indestructible plastic - shame about the fluffy animals on them :eek: Never had them nicked yet tho),
- water bottle + aqua mira water purifier,
- kuksa (folding cup) or two
- two lightweight US army poncho's,
- five odd metres of paracord,
- leatherman wave, mostly for the pliers,
- Frost Mora,
- small FAK + silver heat reflective blanket + orange plastic bivvi bag,
- PSK in tobacco tin - all the usual stuff inside, with small opinel duct taped to side.
- firesteel, small section of hacksaw blade as a striker and cotton wool in black alu matchcase,
- dried pasta ready meal or two, few mini pepperami to cut up and mix in,
- random stuff that doesn't always come: mobile, monocular, digi cam (in it's own belt pouch) if i remember to charge batteries, hat of some sort, scarf if it's chilly or raining a lot, collins gem guide, OS map, cheap gardening gloves, lots of little things that I pick up on a whim...

Sure I've left something important out tho :rolleyes:

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Blimey! Some of you guys would take the kitchen sink if it packed down ;)

My day sack is often reffered to as a coat. Big pockets. Bare minimum.

If the sun's shining (I know it does sometimes) then the big pockets are attached to my trousers.

Knife, firesteel/Swans, stovie (normally in the corner of my mouth) water bottle (attached to belt) light cord and small FA kit.

And for a day out, I think thats pushing it :D

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
It does depend on if it's a stroll in the woods or a full day's walk.

For the former;
10ltr rocket pack
Knife, Frost Mora
firesteel
Paracord
Firstaid kit
Folding saw
Torch
Crusader mug and cooker with hexi tabs
2 ltr water
packet of soap (usually Waitrose Tomato & Basil)
Jordan's Special Museli bars
Survival bag
Hat & Gloves
Mabley's Food for Free, Gem pocket size
Handwash
Map & compass

If I'm out for the day the pack grows to 35 ltr has some spare clothes, proper food and a meths stove. A basha and or bivi bag depending on time of year.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I hope this doesn't sound rude guys, but in my opinion, you guys carry FAR too much kit with you. I'm sorry if that offends anyone, but I have to say, from what I've read on this thread so far, I think I've probably got one of the lightest packs. (So Far)

What do you guys think? I mean, when I was just a wee lad and my Dad first started taking me climbing, as I got older he continually drilled into my head about how much gear is necessary for a climb. But now that I'm faster, and in better shape than he is (definately not tougher...yet) I've done my own research into gear, and I've slimmed down my pack weight A LOT.

Mind you, adding hardware (friends, pitons, ice-axe) crampons and rope adds a great deal of weight, but for a few days out none of those are necessary.

What do you gentleman think?

Adam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE