What's wrong with me?!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
I'm having a custum made full tang blade coming from Mick Spain this week and allready I'm thinking about another knife! :rolleyes:

I've got some money left from my birthday. I may spend it on:

Kellam Puukko
Kellam Wolverine
Karesuando Boar
Gransfors Bruks sfa

Any advice on these?

Michiel

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
You, my friend, have a serious disease. The only cure for it is to nip it in the bud right now. Best way to do this is to give away all your knives and don't look back. And don't encourage others either. You would only be leading them down this sad path of addiciton. Unfortunately for me, I am long past redemption. Therefore, to help you out and spare others, feel free to send me all your knives. I am more than happy to make this sacrifice. I will PM you my address.

PS. Don't do this until AFTER you've bought both Kellams and the SFA.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
How very observant Hoodoo.
However I thing the poor fellow needs one to one treatment not postal advice.
I would be happy to pop over and relieve him of his symptoms/sharps IN PERSON.......
Oh - don't bother getting the SFA before I come - I already have one, and although it is great I would not ned two....

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Ah but i cold fly you over to the UK you could rest and recuperate and take in the sights and relax, while i relieve you of your collection as i only have a ka-bar and frosts mora.

Take pity on lonely newbie :D

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
You cant make him travel in his condition!
Anyway - I used to live in Belgium - Tervuren, Boitfort and Brussels - and know the culture and could show him plades to have a bushraft recuperation in the Foret de Soignes or ( a little more civilised) Bois de la Cambre or a couple of good spots in the Ardenne region...
but only if he gets the classy blades before the treatment starts any of those listed would be worth the trip!

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
Thanks for the funny answers guys. I was worrying about the HT used in the wolverine. It's softer at the spine so it's tougher. When you use your knife a lot and you sharpen it a lot, the steels wears away. Would it wear away far enough that the edge becomes a lot softer?

PS: John I'm interested about your trips in Belgium. What's your favourite spot?

Michiel

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I can see the problem. How old are you? If you are a young guy and you use and sharpen the knife a lot, you might run out of cutting edge by the time you reach 70. It just depends... ;)

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
Thanks. I was just wondering if it would be possible that you run out of hardened steel.
I guess I'm getting a Wolverine. As soon as I get my Roselli Carpenter :D

Michiel

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
you won't run out of hardened steel unless you sharpen it with a file for twenty years, and the uhc carpenter is an exceptionally good knife

wozza

Jul 19, 2007
i have the Karesuando Boar and its a very good knife i little small for my likeing but it keeps the edge well and its nice to use. the handel is also very comfortable.

HTH james

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
regular steel. I heard the UHC steek chips rather easily when used hard. not really something I like in a bushcraft knife.
I can't play with it because i broke my wrist yesterday :(

Michiel

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Oh dear
It is a long time since I was in Belgium - I was there from age 12 to 18 and I am now 50...... but I still have fond memories of the hills around Spa and the Lux border, the forest around Brussels and the park St Hubert in Tervuren.
I was the very first pupil at the British School of Brussels and we did a lot of cross country running and other sports in the park..ah...youth!
John

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE