Whats this over Norway?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Last edited:

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
. They spin them to make them more accurate, like rifles and bullets.

Beautiful though :D

cheers,
Toddy

Erm, no they dont. they have fins for guidance and fly as a jet aircraft would or a Nasa space launch. They have advanced slightly since the V2. Bullets spin because the spiralling inside the barrel grips the bullet when the propellant forces it to expand very slighly as it travels up the barrel. Bit different to a fin stabilised guided missile.

:)

Last edited:

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
New Scientist says OUT OF CONTROL MISSILE

I hope I'm not affecting anyone's Tinfoil Hat business am I?

They say likely mate.

From the article

This spiral then got bigger and bigger until it turned into a huge halo in the sky with the green beam extending down to Earth."

The green beam, Do you honestly believe that an ICBM will project a green beam down to land? That is a more crazy story than the explanation i offered of a beam focused from the ground and it being a hologram. Look at the pics mate the beam is narrowest at its source, the ground not in the sky like a missile that shoots green beams about the shop, you ever heard of one...... me neither

It was in the sky for a couple of minutes, it didnt move and that green beam remained there the whole time, missile? out of control? The beam remained motionless at ground level the whole time.

Last edited:

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Then theres this from the original link

"But the mystery deepened last night as Russia denied it had been conducting missile tests in the area.
A Moscow news outlet quoted the Russian Navy as denying any rocket launches from the White Sea area. "

and

"The mystery began when a blue light seemed to soar up from behind a mountain in the north of the country. It stopped mid-air, then began to move in circles. Within seconds a giant spiral had covered the entire sky. Then a green-blue beam of light shot out from its centre - lasting for ten to 12 minutes before disappearing completely. "

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/wor...ay.html?ITO=1490&referrer=yahoo#ixzz0ZFLx84Qm

The new scientist article says

"an anonymous Russian military source says it was failed launch of a Bulava missile from a submarine in the White Sea Wednesday morning."

THat says they dont know who said it, or if its true. It could have been me. I speak a little russian.

there a vid of it here on russian news
http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/283549

Universe today article
http://www.universetoday.com/2009/12/09/weird-giant-spiral-seen-in-sky-over-norway/

""[A popular] suggestion at the moment is that it was a rocket shot up by a Russian submarine in the White Sea, but the Russians deny this apparently. A big mystery indeed"

but an anonymous source in the Northern Fleet said they had no information about the incident. Press Attaché from Russia’s Embassy in Oslo, Vladimir Isupov, did not have any immediate information that could explain the light phenomenon over Northern Norway

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Erm, no they dont. they have fins for guidance and fly as a jet aircraft would or a Nasa space launch. They have advanced slightly since the V2. Bullets spin because the spiralling inside the barrel grips the bullet when the propellant forces it to expand very slighly as it travels up the barrel. Bit different to a fin stabilised guided missile.

:)

Erm, actually they do.
Spin controlled guidance in self propelled missiles is still an actively used technique, and they've always had fins. Their sheer size meant that unless they did they had insufficient air resistane to maintain direction effectively.

cheers,
Toddy

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Erm, actually they do.
Spin controlled guidance in self propelled missiles is still an actively used technique, and they've always had fins. Their sheer size meant that unless they did they had insufficient air resistane to maintain direction effectively.

cheers,
Toddy

My thoughts on the whole thing...

rocket_scientists.gif

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
are they still mucking about with The Large Hedron Collidor? They may have opened up a gateway to something. :eek:

Glosfisher

Tenderfoot
Feb 22, 2007
Cotswolds
Erm, subs, when submerged, use blue-green lasers to direct their comms signals to the surface.

If this was a failed missile test is the patterning caused by a helical vortex being formed in the ice crystals in the atmosphere (there must be lots of diamond dust above Norway at this time of year) by the missile's gyrations. The patterning is "smoothed" further by the refraction of light through the diamond dust?

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
HillBill, you strike me as a bloke that wants to create some grief for himself, make sure you don't get offended by the remarks that come into this thread and those posting please try not to be offensive, i can see this going down hill...Umm, need a down hill smilie, anyone seen one?

Anyway....make sure this doesn't get political as well....

Enjoy :D

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
"No one would have believed, in the last years of the nineteenth century, that human affairs were being watched from the timeless worldsof space.

No one could have dreamed we were being scrutinized, as someone with a microscope studies creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water.
Few men even considered the possibility of life on other planets and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this Earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely, they drew their plans against us."

:D

apj1974

Nomad
Nov 17, 2009
Lancashire. UK
www.apj.org.uk
"No one would have believed, in the last years of the nineteenth century, that human affairs were being watched from the timeless worldsof space.

No one could have dreamed we were being scrutinized, as someone with a microscope studies creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water.
Few men even considered the possibility of life on other planets and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this Earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely, they drew their plans against us."

:D

Du du duuuh
Du du duuuuhh

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
"The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one," he said.
"The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one

but still they
come!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE