Whats the best Poncho?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GoatBoy666

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2005
West London
I have been reading the various debates on this site about the perfect waterproof combos, i.e. what works best the majority of the time.

Nobody stays dry in a day long storm.:umbrella:

Any ways while reading the different threads, those for modern materials, those for natural fibres etc... One thing stuck out. How many people still rated their poncho as needed for extreme conditions over say a waterproofed cotten field smock.

I own a british army standard issue poncho (gos on every camp), never really gets used as a garment mind, more often a ground sheet, or tarp side wall if its windy, or whatever.

I am tall so always found ponchos a bit of a pain, especially in windy conditions, fun being a sail...:D

So back to my question, What poncho would you recommend?
Maybe I might be persuaded to up grade my humble british army poncho for some all singing, all dancing doo hicky...

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
A german army poncho, the rubberised fabric. Very robust, silent and sheds water well. What more could you ask for? I wore waterproof trousers and jacket whilst crewing an AFV in Canada during my army years when it rained for something like 17 out of 30 days. They were useless, I just stayed wet longer. A poncho would be better for tramping about as you wouldn't get the condensation build up.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
A german army poncho, the rubberised fabric. Very robust, silent and sheds water well. What more could you ask for? I wore waterproof trousers and jacket whilst crewing an AFV in Canada during my army years when it rained for something like 17 out of 30 days. They were useless, I just stayed wet longer. A poncho would be better for tramping about as you wouldn't get the condensation build up.

I bought one at the Glastonbury festival about 8 or 9 years ago and it was superb. I ended up with my rigger boots on, a pair of shorts and this huge waxed canvas poncho. I was able to sit down in the 8" deep mud pull the lot over my head and make a few rollies before emerging again.
I never saw it after that I think somebody borrowed it and never gave it back.

Great bit of kit but quite bulky and heavy IIRC

Rich

FarPoint

Jan 15, 2008
Toronto, Canada
I love the poncho. I freely admit it is not the best for reaching over the fire but it is hard to beat the versatility. I have included some shock cord loops to wrap around my thumbs to keep it from riding up and occasionally will put a belt or para cord around my waist to keep it from billowing. Apart from the sail factor it is great to be able to squat down with this thing covering everything down to my boots and let it rain all day.
I also do a lot of solo backpacking and so I use mine as my tarp/shelter and it hasn't let me down yet.
I use an Integral Designs silnylon 5 foot by 8 foot tarp/poncho in dark green. Well designed and well built although not cheap. It is small and ridiculously light and so I will often bring a gore tex jacket for the temperature and put the poncho on top for the rain.
Happy Hiking.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Poncho-Belted.jpg

I'd have to say check this out.

Crowe

Nomad
Jan 18, 2008
Noewich. Now living in Limosin France
I use a light weight ripstop, woodland cam, US army poncho ( much lighter than brit issue poncho). Used as a tarp shelter, basha and a poncho (Which is OK if you don't have to work and can sit the rain out or are just walking)

strollon

Mar 4, 2005
suffolk
I have British army issue poncho that connects to my sleeping bag by press studs, but it needs reproofing any ideas anyone?

GoatBoy666

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2005
West London
Thanks for the responses guys,

I had owned german issue poncho many moons back,
it finally started leaking after about ten years of abuse, shame because as mentioned they are a great poncho.
The ventile poncho looks loverly, am gutted I missed that thread last year wayland...:(
Looks just the ticket:cool:

Had a look for a uk supplier of the integral design one, having a trouble atm...
but at $85 not gonna be that cheap...

Gonna check my local surplus store, they might have an answer ;)

Or maybe buy some ventile and make my own...:D

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
That is the prototype ventile poncho, you've missed nothing yet. kepp your peepers open and some cash set aside! :D

Got to say that the Aussie lightweight poncho is good too. Not as quiet as the German poncho, but folds up small enough to go in a jacket pocket. Will cover a bergen easily and keep you dry to boot. Bit more flappy in the wind due to its' lightweight construction.

The best and lightest poncho available is the lightweight Italian issue poncho. It folds up to the size of not much bigger than a tennis ball, is waterproof and pretty tough.

I was homeless years ago and spent many many moons under two ponchos while walking around Scotland. I used a Germa Army and an old 58 pat poncho. The 59 was leaky and a mate in the TA told me they reproofed them with wd40 and it worked.

If you take two lightweight ponchos and stud them together with one on the base and one on the top, peg the corners and tie the hood up to a branch you have a very weatherproof 1-2 man tent and I've NEVER seen it used or discussed on here. It really does take some beating if you are traveling ultralight. Talk to any of the old guys in the forces in the 60's and 70's who did the really wild stuff and they will tell you that was how they did it when the weather closed in during pre gortetex days!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE