What's in your medi kit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
In my experience the vast majority of people that use forums press the "New Posts" tab on entering the forum, so it doesn't really matter where the post is placed to most of us users.
It certainly isn't worth getting your knickers in a twist over.

As a mod on a few other forums i can tell you it's a thankless task that is done by people who get no financial gain, if the forum was left to run without moderation for a week then it would be an absolute free-for-all.

We don't do it for money or thanks but i don't think it's too much to ask for a little tolerance by members, it might stand you in good stead in the future to speak directly with the mod involved rather than throw your dummy out the pram.

Out of your 45 posts over the 8 months you've been a member, you've spent 5 either having a go at mods or other members.
You may well be right, but still it's not really a conducive environment for others to jump in and help you inthe future is it?

With regards to the FAK.
I would be extremely careful with the Tramadol even the 50mg tablets have a tendency to make the taker very dizzy and physically sick.

I can't foresee any circumstances where it would be wise to self medicate or medicate others with prescription tablets.
The side effects are likely to cause more problems than the tablets are going to solve.

Only things i have extra in my kit are.
Imodium, diarrhoea is a nightmare when out in the middle of nowhere
Antihistamine, in case there is any reaction to bee stings, pollen etc
Tick Lasso
Recoverice, a wrap in a sealed pack that cools when opened, great for sprained ankles etc
I also pack an Israeli type military bandage as i had a mate fall onto a branch a few years ago and it was difficult to for me to get enough pressure to stop the bleeding with a normal bandage.
Eye wash comes in a tube rather than a eye bath
Duct tape

There is a thread on here talking about the blood clotting powder, general consensus is, it's not a good buy for civvy use, a compression bandage is cheaper, cleaner and better.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~

My topic was right, my choice was right, my opinion is subject, but my subject, and no one elses. The forum keeper was wrong, but his subject and or opinion. Let them reply but feel free to carry on as is your right. ;-)

Looking at what you posted in your original post it's quite obvious why your post has been moved to the correct section of the forum as it is about MEDICAL kit and this sub-section is about all things medical hence its title Hygiene and First Aid/Medicinal.

End of the day when you own the forum you can post what you like where you like but as you don't then you agreed to abide by the owners rules and moderation of your posts by his representatives as they see fit when you signed up. If you don't like that then the usual response is you're perfectly free to go elsewhere where you're happier but in the meantime abide by the rules and accept the moderation.

Just to finish I feel the level of moderation on this forum is very light and, as far as I've experienced, very even handed which makes for a good family friendly forum.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I include a small mirror and a small head torch (Petzl eLite) in my FAK.
I don't want to be rummaging for a torch and a FAK if I need them, so I keep one in the kit.
The mirror is handy, I once banged my head and split the skin above my brow. Hard to attend to the wound when you can't see it.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Hi

You have a lot of pain killers in there.

Some pointers may be found in this article from Paul Kirtley.

A Personal Wilderness First Aid Kit: What to Include?

As suggested by Graham, a mirror can be very useful, even just for getting dirt or stray insects out of your eyes. I have an old steel WW2 heliograph which does the job.

Tweezers are a good addition too.

There are 24,000 members here, Tony runs the site for their benefit, it is the case that majority of people tend to post everything to 'Bushcraft Chatter' or 'Kit Chatter'. Which means that threads that some may find useful quickly vanish into the past. A Mod moving a thread to a more appropriate sub forum makes it easier for all of the members to find topics which interest them.

Have a good trip, post some pics. :)

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
I was talking about KIT - As in, I will be doing 60 miles, and I am packing my KIT. Part of that is my medical KIT..

@ Maybe you should talk about 'kit' then.

I'm not sure if you are blind, or stupid. Or just a troll :-/

Either way - your comment of: "
I dont (sic) believe he has right wing tendancies but its his forum so I abide by his rules. Simples"

Is one of meek tendencies and a certain amount of "Way to my king".

My topic was right, my choice was right, my opinion is subject, but my subject, and no one elses. The forum keeper was wrong, but his subject and or opinion. Let them reply but feel free to carry on as is your right. ;-)

You where wrong about your choice to put your topic in. Simples, take it or leave it. If you had taken the effort to read you would have known. You show me a thread solely about a first aid kit in Kit Chatter.

Jimmy Bojangles

Forager
Sep 10, 2011
Derbyshire
As suggested by Graham said:
I Must get a mirror, or heliograph as that would be more multi purpose. Last weekend I took the dog for a walk and got I fly in my eye, VERY minor but so damn annoying. Just could not get it out, so had to walk a half hour back to the house with one eye shut, took two sec's to get it out in front of the mirror.

How's that for REAL SURVIVAL? lol

Mat

Jimmy Bojangles

Forager
Sep 10, 2011
Derbyshire
Well I removed the medical gloves.

I actually keep at least one latex glove in my kit after my last dog (Jaz :)) ran over some morons old camp in the woods and almost took one of his pads off on the broken glass (few thing make me more angry than that) The pad was literally hanging on by a thread, and would certainly come off on the walk home, i did try carrying him but that was a no go as he weighed over 30kg and kept trying to french kiss me! Lol I had a glove in my bag as I'd been doing some site work, (hmm, the lady doth protest too much! Lol) anyway, I pulled it tight over his foot, my friend donated one of his spare socks, we tied it up nice and snug and were able to walk him to the vets.

Also I guess you could cut a glove up to use as elastic strips etc.

Cheers

Mat

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I have a small FAK in my shoulder bag that I usually carry around, paracetamol, brufen, x2 doses of each, some strips of plaster and SAK tweezers, a couple of small alcowipes to clean the skin.
The larger kit if we are out further has a couple more drugs, piriton and loperamide. More strips of plaster, a saline sachet, some sterile swabs, a thick wound dressing, and a triangular bandage,and a pair of non sterile gloves.
Near the head of loch lomond, we were with a group, when someone fell and broke their arm, 3 of us had triangular bandages as well as 2 shemaghs being offered. One of the group commented, she'd carried "this thing around in her pack for many years" and was oddly pleased to be finally using it...

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Just got back from a 3 day walk and bivi out trip to Aviemore before the snow hit.
1x Trauma Dressing.
1x Celox Clotting Granules 35g.
1x 300 Meg Asprin.
1x Resuscitation face shield.
2 Antihistamine tablets.
Tick remover.

On the walk I had to use 8 paracetamal 6 ibuprofen 6 rennies and a whole strip of water purification tabs, all of which had to scrounge off NetFrog.
Cheers Bro.
PS. It's not indigestion its Whisky burn.

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Having done CPR twice for real I am a big fan of face shields.
Both occassions I did CPR - on people I knew pretty well - I did not have a face shield on me.
Both times I ended up tasting their vomit - both vomitted prior to collapse - and I can tell you ... it aint nice.
As to the gloves - I keep then in the kit.
Dealing with casualties often means exposing yourself to blood, faeces and urine spillage ... not nice on the hands, especially if you too have open wounds no matter how minor...
I have various FAKs to cover different possible scenarios, from an "ouch pouch" for when I am whittling to a large kit kept in the van....

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
I tend to add a scalpel blade to my kit, handy for getting out splinters or if you need to cut something out that scissors or your knife are too bulky bladed to get rid.

OK My Med Kit is a bit well alot more comprehensive than most.

Before I post my List I have to ask Why the Prescription Drugs?
I'm not having a go just curious?

Here is a link to the Thread I posted my Med kit with Pictures on

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79836&highlight=

It is small enough not to be a burden or too heavy or awkward to carry, yet complete enough to to cope with nearly any scenario that could come up.

The Aim of this kit it two fold, firstly to take care of all the little PITA things like a Headache, Toothache, The trots, Small Blisters, little nicks on fingers etc...etc...
And Secondly to control a major Bleed until further, more suitable help arrives, E.G. an Ambulance,

It is not designed to treat a Major bleed and then allow the Casualty to continue to climb Mount Everest, but rather to stop the Casualty from bleeding out while waiting for the ambulance to arrive.

In our field we have to accept an element of self-responsibility regarding our personal First aid.
Many of us venture to place where conventional Ambulances can't get to, or to places when although conventional Ambulances can get to you they take much longer than normal to arrive, as such we need to be prepared and able to help ourselves for any given period should the need arise.

Large Wound Dressing Module:

4x 4”x4” Sterile Gauze Pads
2x 3”x4” Non Stick Pads
1x 5”x9” Abdominal Pad
2x Tegaderm Dressings
4x Pre-cut Moleskin Pads
2x 2”x4” Large Plasters

Small Wound Dressing Module:

5x Small Butterfly Closures
3x Large Butterfly Closures
3x 3”x¼” 3M Steri-Strips
2x Fingertip Plasters
2x Knuckle Plasters
4x Finger Plasters
2x Large Finger Plasters
3x Kids Finger Plasters
2x Triple Antibiotic Cream Sachets
2x Compeed Blister Patches

Equipment Module:

4x Safety Pins
2x Splint Out
1x Razor knife
1x Precision Tweezers
1x Mini Bandage Scissors
1x Pencil
2x Benzoin Tincture Ampoules
1x Liquid Skin Instant Glue
1x CPR Face Mask

Irrigation Module:

6x Alcohol Prep Pads
2x Betadine Pre Pads
4x Anti-Septic Hand Wipes
1x 20cc Syringe
1x ZeroWet Irrigation Shield
3x Pairs Black Nitrile Gloves

Medications Module:

4x Ibuprofen 2x 200mg
4x Paracetamol 2x500mg
4x Diphenhydramine 25mg
4x Zantac/Ranitidine 75mg
2x Meclizine 2x 25mg
2x Aspirin 2x 325mg
1x Hydrocortisone Cream 1% sachet
1x Mitigator Sting Relief
4x Sting Relief Pads
1x Burn Gel sachet
2x Dioralyte Sachets

Additional Items:

1x Roll of Zinc Oxide Tape
1x Roll of Self Adhesive Tape
1x Roll of Fabric Tape
1x Tin of Vaseline Lip Balm
1x Triangular Bandage
1x Space Blanket
1x Fresnel Magnifying lens
1x Eye Bath
1x Small Tube of Sudocrem
1x 6”x12” Alokak Bag

Sever Blood Stopping & Chest Trauma Module: - Add On

2x 6”x12” Alokak Bag
1x SWAT-T Tourniquet
1x Israeli Bandage - 4”
1x Quick Clot Haemostatic Sponge
1x 3 foot strip of Duct Tape
3x Safety Pins
3x pairs Nitrile Gloves
2x Antimicrobial Wipes
1x Asherman Chest Seal
1x Mini Sharpie Marker
1x NPA
1x KY Jelly Sachet
1x 14# Decompression Needle
2x Small Halo Chest Seals

Luxury Nice to Have Items

1x An Orange BIC Lighter
2x Dioralyte Sachets
3x Mini Red Chemical Light Sticks
1x Hi Intensity 5 Min Chemical Light Stick
1x White Chemical Light Stick
1x Casualty Evacuation Form
1x Tick Remover
1x SAM Splint, Finger

The Kids Addon Modules are from when I take my Kids with me.

Kids Wound Dressing Module: - Add On

2x 2”x2” Non Stick Pads
5x Long Finger Plasters
4x Short Finger Plasters
2x Large Finger Plasters
2x Triple Antibiotic Cream sachets
2x Knee / Elbow Plasters
4x Square Plasters
3x Small Butterfly Closures
2x Antiseptic Wipes
2x Small Compeed Blister Patches
1x Small Pre-cut Moleskin Patch

Kids Medication Module: - Add On

4x Diphenhydramine 25mg
2x Meclizine 2x 25mg
4x Sting Relief Pads
2x Paracetamol 120mg Sachets
2x Paracetamol 240mg (6+) Sachets
2x Ibuprofen 100mg Sachets
1x Medicine Spoon 5 & 2.5ml
1x Teething Gel
4x Gaviscon Junior
1x Advent Magic Cream

crucible

Tenderfoot
May 14, 2011
vancouver bc canada
Plasters
Duct tape plasters
Duct tape
Ibuprofen
3 levels or really good painkillers, from Tylenol 3, to Oxycontin, to Stadol(synthetic morphine)
Disposable pocket mask
Immodium - gastric meds
Alcohol based hand sanitizer

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
I include a small mirror and a small head torch (Petzl eLite) in my FAK

Good idea, think I may well make those additions.

........6 ibuprofen .......PS. It's not indigestion its Whisky burn.
Ibuprofen is probably not the best choice of analgesia for indigestion (or whisky burn) as it can be a gastric irritant (particularly with repeated/prolonged use). Otherwise a great painkiller.

Having done CPR twice for real I am a big fan of face shields.
Both occassions I did CPR - on people I knew pretty well - I did not have a face shield on me.
Both times I ended up tasting their vomit - both vomitted prior to collapse - and I can tell you ... it aint nice.

You can most likely do without the faceshield as current guidance is for only chest compressions and no ventilations, it is far more effective for solo bystander resuscitation.
See this BHF video - its genius!
[video=youtube;ILxjxfB4zNk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILxjxfB4zNk[/video]

Last edited:

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
well i totally understand the drugs, especially for longer walks...

when im doing anything over a day or lots of miles i take a blister/meds pouch, this consists:-

micro pore tape, for blister prevention, i find its better than zink oxide tape, but thats just me.
comped, walking blister plasters, i normally use these on other people, i know when (if ever) im getting a blister, prevention is better than cure.
second skin, spray type plaster for blisters, i use the bottle type with the spreader as its smaller.
diclofenac sodium, for when my knees WILL get bad, normaly about 1 strip (12 tablets i think).
co codamol, also for my knees and if my back plays up while carrying 25-30 kg...:)

the above all goes in a waterproof bag in the top flap of my bergan for easy use when walking.

i also have a small FAK with the following:-

plasters, any small selection for cuts that wont stop bleeding.
paracetamol, for normal non mega painful stuff.
gaviscon tablets, i tend to get a bad belly if eating allot of sugar, it does not agree with me but is good for calories.
tick removal tool, for the obvious.
tourniquet, just because its spare, it can be used as a splint, arm support/sling (for broken arm etc), back up belt etc etc etc etc.
israli bandage, this covers everything basically, the only reason i carry this is because mistakes just sometimes happen, and i dont want to get blood on my socks....;)

at the end of the day you should know what your body needs, and take items to deal with that when it happens, just like my pill selection.

hope this is of some use.

regards.

chris.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE