Whats an effective, study and reliable water filter for under £50?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Hi all I'm looking for something small, light and portable to take with me on an upcoming two week speed hike.

I was intending to use the millbank bag but after much thought I realise that with such a strict time schedule to stick to I really need something that is quicker and won't rely on standing around for an hour while the millbank bag does it's work, otherwise I'd love to use the millbank bag.

I like the features of the MSR HyperFlow Microfilter but at £90 it's far too dear when a £10 millbank bag does the same job albeit slower, however knowing me I'll probably end up shelling out for it eventually :rolleyes:

That being said, is there anything on the market that works as well as the MSR for £50 or less??

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
A millbank bag is not a single solution to water filtration.

It has to be used with other methods, chemical, boiling, or finer filtration to make clean water.

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Yeah it dosn't actually take an hour, I just said an hour becuase I was including the preperation time and also having to locate a suitible branch, wall or other object to suspend the millbank bag on to.

elliott92

Mar 6, 2012
surrey
i'd stick with a milbank and then boil mate. if not get one of the survival straws. you can drink dirty water straight through them

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Take a look at the pre-mac range. they're reasonable well priced but the only down side is the time to pump a litre out water through.

good one, just looked at a video review on this and it looks absolutely perfect. I can't find anywhere that sells them so I emailed the manufacturer asking for price and how to order. Is there any difference between these two, besides colour? ...

http://www.pre-mac.com/PWP_TTW.HTM
http://www.pre-mac.com/PWP_MWP.HTM

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
I'm looking for a Salt Water filter, mainly for Sea Kayaking around the Croatian Dalmation Islands. Very difficult to collect freshwater. The only alternative is to paddle with a lot of fresh water.

Any thoughts ?

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Hey all I ended up buying the Drink-Safe Explorer 1 liter canteen direct from drink-safe website with the spring discount code I ended up getting it for a total of £36.70 delivered so I'm very happy and now I can rest assured that I'll be able to adhere to the schedule much more freely than having to mess about with millbank bags and pump filters!

I just hope it proves itself to be reliably and durably built. Here check out the video for it, I can't get over how amazing this piece of kit is! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_w05Rt2v30&list=UUnreSMoYw6O3Sayic7WYS1Q&index=7&feature=plcp

If anyone has this already I'd appreciate any feedback!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hey all I ended up buying the Drink-Safe Explorer 1 liter canteen direct from drink-safe website with the spring discount code I ended up getting it for a total of £36.70 delivered so I'm very happy and now I can rest assured that I'll be able to adhere to the schedule much more freely than having to mess about with millbank bags and pump filters!

I just hope it proves itself to be reliably and durably built. Here check out the video for it, I can't get over how amazing this piece of kit is! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_w05Rt2v30&list=UUnreSMoYw6O3Sayic7WYS1Q&index=7&feature=plcp

If anyone has this already I'd appreciate any feedback!

That's a good choice, I was going to suggest the Travel Tap but either will suit

I bought the Hyperflow a few weeks ago for my TGO next week, now I'm thinking about leaving it at home and saving me sen 244g, sad I know

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
I have two of these

http://berkeywaterfilterseurope.co.uk/sport-berkey.html

Excellent, lightweight and purify water. Take a coffee filter to filter out any sediment to extend the life of the filter. The bottle can be gently squeezed to provide water for brew making/ cooking pot.

When out with it, never let it go empty - to prevent mould build up. And, you do have to really dry it out between uses!

Hey I have a berkey filter at home with 4 elements inside and absolutely love it, wouldn't dream of drinking tap water ever again. I was thinking of the sports berkey but it just dosn't look well built enough for a long hike and was only 0.65 liter capacity as opposed to a full liter for the drink-safe explorer, however at £18 it's a excellent price.

You make an interesting point regarding mould build-up. I suppose your advice on keeping the filter submerged would also apply to the drink-safe explorer canteen I just purchased, since it too uses a ceramic filter? Would pouring a small quanity of collodial silver before long-term storage prevent mould build-up, maybe?

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
You could run a litre of water through it with a drop of bleach in, then air dry it completely before storage.

Some filters can be frozen between uses but you'd have to check with DS about that.

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
The Drink-Safe explorer 1 liter canteen arrived this morning and I've been testing it out. It takes a lot of squeezing and sucking to draw water but I have no doubt the flow rate will increase as the filter beds-in over time. The overlall build quality is certainly not anywhere near the bomb-proof level of quality I usually want from the kit I buy, so who knows how long it will last, but it does do it's job perfectly well and I'm happy with it.

THanks for the freezing tip Shewie I'll drop DS an email about it now.
By the way Pre-Mac never bothered to email me back with the price of their pump filter, which is exactly what I expected since they have supply contracts with NATO, so they couldn't give a sh*t about one man!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE