What's a Ventile Airedale Like?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Noddy

Nomad
Jul 12, 2006
Away
Having to start to think about replacing (well, backing up) the shredded Barbour. So the arduous task of searching around is on. This will take months (before I probly get another barbour).

I have heard much in favour of ventile, both here and elsewhere - and some against.

Has anyone ever tried a West Winds Airedale jacket?
(their tempest looks too hardcore)

http://www.west-winds.net/ventile_jackets.htm

Various weathers. Any good? Did it leak? Does it sweat? Is it warm? Keep the wind out OK? Pockets (esp. a big inside one)? Lining? Hood fit OK? Drawstrings work? Cleanable? Zips? Flaps? Thornproof? This sort of thing

Thanks very much for all hints

n

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I really couldn't tell you how those jackets are, man. My anorak's over 30 years old and it's still kicking some serious ****. It's so old it has bakelite button snaps, and about fifty dollars worth of a tailor's work to fix all the rips and snags. It still keeps me dry and warm.

I guess the only bit of advice I can give you is that single layer jackets aren't as water resistant as the double layer type. They do dry faster, though.

Adam

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I've not used one but seen them and think they are a nice looking jacket.

I've just got the windshirt which is working out to be pretty good.

only thing to remember is that single layer ventile is not 100% waterproof - you will eventually get damp in heavy rain. The idea with 2 layer is that the outer eventually leaks a little but the iner layer never gets wet enough to seap through.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
That's mostly true, Ed. The double layer layer design does work quite well, but after a good few hours in the driving rain, a person will tend to notice small spots on the inners of the jacket where the shoulder seams are. But that's only because you can't seam seal cotton.

Adam

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
addyb said:
But that's only because you can't seam seal cotton.

Just wondering about this. Howies have a Ventile jacket, saying that it has "fully taped seams". Is this something different?

(Seems a nice jacket too, but at £225 I might give it a miss right now.)

I haven't tried either the Westwinds or the Howies, but I'd imagine it would be tricky to find any Ventile jacket with super-large and handy pockets like the Barbour. If you like the Barbour's weight I'm sure a double-layer ventile jacket will be similar (as well as being more expensive and probably warmer too I'd imagine).

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
I'm pretty sure that's a typo, but I could be wrong. Generally, taped seams refers more to a WPB garment like Gore-Tex where the threads on the seams are heat sealed with special tape. I'm not sure how that would work with Ventile, as cotton isn't plastic so I don't think it would be sealed. Remember, WPB garments are nylon or polyester so they can be sealed. I have been known to be wrong on at least one occasion though!

Adam

rjbaal

Feb 3, 2005
Northeast USA
Don't forget Snowsled. I have a Snowsled Osprey (double layer) and a customized smock (single layer). Both garments are fantastic. The pictures on their website don't do their products justice. I like their stuff so much I have a third coat on the way.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Hi Noddy

you might want to check out the barbour website because they have some really nice lightweight jackets now (dont know when the last time you checked them out) and at a good price saw some examples in a shop near me very tempted.

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
I tried Howies stuff in a shop. Really well made, nice materials but expensive. What I hated was the cut. Made for skinny mountian bike/skateboard dudes. Presumably with trust funds if they can afford the stuff! Certainly not for serious layering. HTH.

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
I really do rate Howies. Yes, they're not cheap, but they are good quality, nice stuff, and ecofriendly and whatnot. And their customer service is excellent - they've just offered to replace a top that they don't really need to replace, and because of a suggestion by me they've just told their production team to change some zips. Not bad.

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
rjbaal said:
Don't forget Snowsled. I have a Snowsled Osprey (double layer) and a customized smock (single layer). Both garments are fantastic. The pictures on their website don't do their products justice. I like their stuff so much I have a third coat on the way.

I've just ordered my second Snowsled Classic. I went for a different pocket configuration this time though :D

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Howies are good peoples, good outlook, very ecofriendly. Just quite pricey.

Still, they have good sales (picked up some nice merino base layers last time) and they regularly have warehoue clearouts at the end of season.

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
chocolatefish.co.uk do excellent NZ merino. Mt Cook baselayer £29 (i have one of these - excellent). howies NBL base layer is £45.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE