What trousers?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Pablo said:
These are the lower end of the market, but you won't cry when the knife goes through 'em :eek:

Pablo
I probably would cry, especially if I was still in them :eek:

leon-1

I have a pair of Dutch Army combats that are a fawn / sandy colour which are good for field use. British Army Lightweight trousers are also a good dependable and hard wearing trouser. I haven't tried the Swedish utility trousers, but at less than £5 for a pair they may be worth looking into.

As far as anything else goes I have five pairs of craghoppers trousers for field use, I also have Ventile which are very good (great if you can afford them).

In general you'll find that most military field type trousers will be reasonably cheap and hardwearing so they should really be your first port of call. Lightweights are made from a polycotton, don't let that put you off them as they are one of the best sets of trousers that I have used for field conditions.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Green Tensons that I can't find another pair of :(.

Polycotton outer and a polyester lining. Surprisingly tough considering how thin the outer is. Very comfy. Not rainproof but warm when wet.

Unfortunatly the wee shop in Penrith where I got them has closed, the Tenson website doesn't appear to do anything and I can't find another stockist.
Anybody come across them? Seen here on one of Erics Achray photos.

achray-oct036copy.jpg

Thanks for all the trouser info folks.

I tend to use a couple of pairs of older British Army DPM combats most of the time, but I've also got some Peter Storm's and Craghopper Kiwi's.Thanks for the link to the 1/2 price, lined Kiwi's - bargain!

I also had a pair of German Army moleskins and wore them to bits! They were great.

Cheers for now
J :)

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i use US M65 bdu trousers. re-enforced knee and seat and plenty of pocket space.
cheap too.
i recently got some craghopper kiwis. they're ok, but a little too "rustley".
i used to use german army moleskins but i find them too restrictive and very heavy when wet.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Graham_S said:
i used to use german army moleskins but i find them too restrictive and very heavy when wet.

The trick is to buy 'em at least one size too big. But yeah, they do weight a bit when wet, and they don't dry that quickly either.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My Ventile trousers are Snugpak/West Winds and are great - tho I did not pay for them - which could be a factor in my liking them...not cheap!

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
deezee_uk said:
Out of curiousity, Where did you get your Ventile Trousers from?

Country Innovation have them (their "Kestrel" trosuers .... £125 :eek: ). As well as ventile jackets and smocks. I've not seen them so I have no idea what they are like. Apparently they have them in some of the RSPB shops/centers at the larger reserves?

Floyd Soul

Forager
Jul 31, 2006
The woods, Ireland.
I mostly wear a pair of cheap army camo combats I picked up for about 20Euros. Real comfy but the wear and tear is starting to show. With a baselayer underneath them I'd say they'll be the job! I have black ripstops too but there no way as comfy.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
When I had my olive green SAS smock made in ventile, I had the foresight to commision a pair of matching S95 pattern olive green ventile trousers to go with it. Very, very good bit's of kit...

DSC00150.jpg

(and that's why I love my goretex-lined-15-year-old-never-leak-a-drop Danners... ;) )

leatherneck

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2005
U.S.
Spacemonkey said:
When I had my olive green SAS smock made in ventile, I had the foresight to commision a pair of matching S95 pattern olive green ventile trousers to go with it. Very, very good bit's of kit...

(and that's why I love my goretex-lined-15-year-old-never-leak-a-drop Danners... ;) )

And what sort of hat is that?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE