What to put in an educational AND functional tinderkit/firelighting kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jamesk

Mar 21, 2011
Reigate
Hi,

I'm trying to put together a small kit for my explorer scout group which we can use as a functional and also educational tool. So I want to be able to demonstrate how different methods/tinders/kindling can be used to start a fire, as well as to be able to use this to get the kids to be able to start fires in the direst of weather.

Emphasis really on educational - I don't want big packs of firelighters in there, for example - if things get really bad we'd always be able to cook on gas or go to the nearest town for food! Having said that, there is a place for showing them how to use a lighter to start a fire too!

So I want a selection of things that will fit in to a small box, about a third of the size of a shoe box. Here's what I have so far, I'd appreciate any recommendations on alternatives that could be added and would emphasise a different technique or style.

In particular, anything that’s fairly easy to use and could start a fire via friction would be great. Or any good friction methods that work!

Cotton wool
Vaseline
A lighter
Strike anywhere matches
A firesteel and striker
steel wool and a battery
silver birch bark
charcloth (I will be trying to make this next time I go on a camp!)
dry grass
Maybe some shavings of a piece of wood for tinder or kindling too?
Some toilet paper
Some cardboard
T light candle
Pine resin (don't know how I am going to get this!)
Perhaps some flint and steel? Too similar to a firesteel?

Birch twigs for kindling
(other suggestions on different kindling that would show a difference to birch would be great - especially if they can fit in the pack size I am creating!)

Thanks,

James

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
In my Scout "fire box" I carry:

• Various tinders both natural and man made (try plumbers hemp - a tip from Wayland - it almost guarantees a flame from char cloth)
  • Ferro rods x 6
  • Flint & steel sets x 6
  • Potassium permanganate & glycerin
  • Bow drill set
  • Parabolic mirror
  • Hexy blocks (shave and light from a ferro rod)
  • Matches (it amazes me how many Scouts have never lit a match!)
  • Tin & linen scraps for making char cloth
  • Collapsable fire bowl (Grilliput)
  • Natural fibre garden twine (give them a 3in length and let them unravel it to use with char cloth)
I think that's it...

Simon

Last edited:

jamesk

Mar 21, 2011
Reigate
Thanks guys,

I can definitely do Twine (I have some at home that I have no use for!) and I can get a hexy. I have two mint tins so will put them in with some bits of old T-Shirt for char-cloth.

My dad is a plumber so that's a great idea about hemp, not that I've ever heard of it!

And a parabolic mirror is a definite (or a magnifying glass?) - just need to find one I can use!

Waxy tinder card sounds good - a piece of card is small and can easily fit but I don't know where to get them?

Maya sticks I will get - hopefully the garden centre will know what I am asking for :)

And then amadou - again sounds great, but not sure where I can get it from!

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

jamesk

Mar 21, 2011
Reigate
Thanks guys,

Candle will go in, so will some inner tube next time I get one spare, and a blow poker sounds great. So are cramp balls but harder to find!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE