what to do with antler?!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
the area where i'm now has an incredible high population of japanese deer ( cervus nippon)- the numbers are actually that high that there's a bounty of 6000yen per deer for them around here....

as a result of this i stumble rather often accross shed antlers (walking and grasscutting)- by now i have about 40 to 50 of them +two skulls with antlers.some of them are rather old and just good for decoration, some are prime condition and reserved for knife handles; my co-workers have also comandeered some antler, but i still have quite a few pieces for projects floating around (sorry- shipping costs to Uk rule trades/give-aways out i'm afraid:()

so now i ponder what to do with them... . so far i made scales for a kiridashi, whistles from straight tips (most of the antler is slightly curved)- incl. one for a very dear friend with my first attempt of scrimshaw, toggles and beads from offcuts/leftovers and a handle for my pruning saw file (first try @ boiling antler).

i also toy with the idea of making a handle for a chainsaw file, but so far have not come up with an elegant solution how to make it interchangeable...
another idea would be an awl handle but i do'nt know what would be good material to make the ""blade""....

i do'nt use ferro rods and already have a bowdrill socket so that can be excludet and i have no need for harpoon heads etc., either....

anyone a suggestion?!

i thought of a slingshot frame, too- but i have'nt found any suitable fork for that... . + i'm already well-supplied with wooden forks and 2aluminuim ones....

i also thought of making a small container for salt to carry in my edc bag, but i'm not sure if the antler and the salt would "go on well with each other" in case the salt gets wet (=high humidity)...

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Chandelier?

29169_700x700.jpg

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
No pix but the shop down my street dabbles in antler work.
Frames for glass-topped tables. Lamps and chandeliers as santaman2000 points out.
The wide panels of moose antlers are used for power carvings of wildlife scenes and the one guy is REALLY good at that.
They sell. $300 - $800 each.

If you're really stuck for ideas, chop it into a few general sizes and sell it for dog chews. Make yourself a tidy sum of cash!

i'd prefer to turn it into something longer-lasting then dog chews.... .

candelabras and chandeliers are an idea- i could use the older pieces from previous seasons (=bleached/ covered with algae and cracked) after cleaning and sanding them.... . although our building (currently i live in a workers building at the place where i work, my own room measures ca. 6ft x8ft- so not much space for large objects...) only has flouro tubes for lighting...

(maybe i should have mentioned:i have a semi-nomadic lifestyle since 10years now (basically living out of my backpack when moving from one place to the next...)- currently i'm in the progress of applying for visa renewal, should that fail i have to move on and leave most belongings behind (again)... so i thought of making some small items as gifts and (maybe) carry 2-3 small pieces with me for future use...
basically i'm looking for inspirations for that:D)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE