What 'Pertex & Pile'/ softshell jacket?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
I'm interested in moving away from the base-mid-membrane layerss for outdoor activities.

I'm mostly a mountain biker these days, but enjoy mountaineering/walking and general outdoor/camping activities.

I'm keen to get a jacket with a hood that can be used in a range of conditions and not be *too* warm whilst being active so good ventilation would be important.

I'm aware of the various products from the well-known brands (Buffalo, Montane & Paramo) although I have no experience of any of them. I suspec that the lighter variants might suit me best.

Any recommendations?

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Check out Mardale, thier kit is made in England and is easily as good as Buffalo at half the price.

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
That looks like a good deal and I'll have a think. It might be a bit warm though.

What is the Montane Krypton jacket like?

It's pretty breathable & you can open the side vents. Forgot about the Mardale stuff - never had any but it has a good name. Have a look at the Snugpak stuff too, sometimes you can pick up a good deal. Don't know about the Montane stuff. Cheers

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I had a Montane , IMO very good for the price easily as well built as a Buffalo , just Bomb proof in its construction.
My only quibble with it was that is was a tad tight in the sizing issues , they just don't seem to be a generously cut as the Buffalo.

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
I have a Montane 8 smock and my wife has a Montane Extreme smock and the quality of both is fantastic. I would say much better than Buffalo. I also prefer the Montane to Buffalo because the fit suits me better but that is a personal thing and you may find the opposite. The only thing I would say about these is that despite the venting they can be really warm when you are active and you specifically said that you didn't want anything too warm.
The item I find I wear most is a Rab Vapour-rise smock. It's a similar concept to the pile pertex but instead of pile it has a sort of micro-fleece, so it is much lighter, a lot less bulky and not so hot. It also has a wired hood that rolls up and zips into the collar.
I would also suggest the Paramo Velez Adventure (or the light version). Again it is lighter and less warm than the pile pertex but I find it to be enough through most of spring, summer, autumn with just a base layer underneath and just carry a belay jacket for stops if it a cold day. It will keep you drier for longer in bad weather than the Rab as well. I know Paramo is not cheap but having tried it, I now have several Paramo garments and it is always my first choice for bad weather. It is much more durable than the soft feel of the fabric would suggest and if it does get damaged you can just sew it up (so long as you don't sew the inner and outer layers together). You can also re-proof it so a jacket can last for years and years. I'm a gardener for a living and use a paramo jacket as my work waterproof and it is now 4 years old and is undamaged and I've never got wet in it. Given that I wear it all day most days over winter and am often dealing with brambles, roses and other thorns that shows the durability.
Having looked up the Montane Krypton it looks very similar spec to my Rab so I would suggest looking at the Montane Krypton, Rab Vapour-rise or Paramo Velez Adventure (the Velez Adventure has a fixed roll up hood the plain Velez has a removable one. I have the plain Velez and really wish it was the adventure so that would be my suggestion).

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
Lots of useful information

thanks for that. It's helpful to have info and suggestions from somebody with experience of the equipment.

I'm looking for something that will be useful for a wide range of conditions and that will allow me to remain comfortable when it is raining.

I have always run a bit hot, although now in my mid 30s, I seem to be running a bit colder than I used to....

I've considered the Velez Adventure Light before, although it seems to be very expensive for an experiment.

I go and try on a few jackets before making up my mind.

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
I've just tried on a few jackets.

The Velez Adventure Light does, indeed, seem great, but it is quite expensive.
the Montane Extreme does feel as if it will be too warm for most of my activities.
The Vapour Rise seems to be a good, comfortable compromise.

The item I find I wear most is a Rab Vapour-rise smock.

I'm interested in knowing about the versatility. Will it keep me comfortable in heavy rain even if it wets through?

At what sort of rain 'heaviness' would you don a waterproof over the top of the Vapour Rise?

Thanks.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I have tried a few (paramo, Montane, Snugpak) and always go back to my Buffalo its warm, reliable (bombproof) and good in the wet. Like the quality of buffalo.

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
I've ended up buying a Velez Adventure Light.

The sizing was a bit odd. I went for an XLarge as the Large, although fine around my chest, was too short in the sleeves and the front was too short (I'm 6' on a good day and a shade over 13st and not big around the middle, so not exactly an 'extra large' bloke).

I wore it today for a short-ish walk on the hills as a test. It was fairly warm in the car park(18degC), but quite windy and did rain briefly.

The breathability and wicking is superb, the zips allow for good ventilation control and it is extremely comfortable. Had I been wearing one of my shell jackets over the same short-sleeved wicking shirt I suspect that I'd have removed it at times. With a long sleeved base layer I suspect that the Velez will be good down to fairly cool temperatures.

The downpour performance does remain to be tested, but it seems like a good buy so far.

Last edited:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I wear a VR jacket all winter over mostly a wicking t-shirt. In very cold days I wear a thin long sleeve base layer. This is for active use where you rely of your effort to stay warm. I use a down or primaloft smock over the top when taking a break for lunch though.

The Rab VR comes in a few different weights including a new one just out this season which is supposed to be a bit warmer than all the others due to the more furry fleece inner. I'd say it is a little cooler than the buffalo/montane extreme smocks but still warmer than a simple lined windshirt like the standard and lite VR tops.

I have worn it in heavy rain but it is not nice after a while. It is highly wicking. IMHO it is almost like Paramo in terms of the way it moves water and sweat out to the outer surface. The hood is pretty good but not as protective as hard shell hoods are. It is more of a simple hoodie type of hood fit. Does add a decent amount of warmth though. Whilst it does kind of cope with rain it is better to put on a simple windshirt over it for added protection or even a hardshell if heavy, prolonged rain. The loose micropile liner is not bonded to the outside so is free to move and also keeps a degree ofspace between innner and outer too. Can't recommend it high enough. Worth a look at I'd say.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE