What is this one?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
The best I can come up with, is Southern Bracket.

This one grows on the stump of what was a very large beech tree.
I,ve watched it for a few years and notice that , in Summer, it seems to change to a more, rusty, cinnamon colour, and very dusty .

DSCF0555.jpg

Feels very woody, hard and well set. Its about 12 inches around.

Is it good for anything, other than rotting tree stumps?

Ceeg

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
With my very limited knowledge of fungi, I would have had to say it was, erm... a Southern Bracket ;) Thats the only name I know for the things.
As for usefulness, I've found that when dried, more fungi are able to take and carry a coal than the books tell you can. Try getting a piece of it or a similar fungi and see if it will take a coal the way a Cramp Ball will. I found that the Birch Polypore works well if you cut thin slices and dry them well, but have not tried the Southern Bracket.

Blackthorn

Feb 2, 2006
Ireland
What about a Maze Gill (Daedalea quercina).

Whats it like underneath, it should have white/greyish gill-like pores if its a maze gill.

This is just a guess, using a field guide. Could also be the Blushing Bracket but i dont think its the season for it and Blushing Bracket looks a lot more flatter on the top as far as i can tell.

Thats just my two pennies worth!

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Longstrider said:
With my very limited knowledge of fungi, I would have had to say it was, erm... a Southern Bracket ;) Thats the only name I know for the things.

No mate, it's Old Man's beard ;) :lmao:

I've seen this post yesterday and had a look ... but couldn't solve this puzzle :(
I've also noticed there are some other mushies on the top right corner in the pic, are these a smaller version of the daddy 'shroom??

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Ahjno, wotcher!

Yup, the stump is covered in these fungi things. I will have a look at the underside.

Tell you what , though. This doubt about what it is, aint it a salutory lesson in mis-identification, eh?.. :eek: .Ho ho ho, I will be staying with just collecting what I know for sure.

No chances.

Ceeg

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Right, Guys.
I,ve had a look at the underside of this thing.

It,s fleshy ,pinky ,beige-y, creamy in colour; with a slightly undulating form, but very smooth to the touch; no sign of gills or anything like that.

Where does this leave us?

Another thing, about Fungi: Theres another type of fungi, in the same area, (different Beech stump), thats wick with Turkey Tail, I,m almost sure.
The thing is, I,ve noticed that, like the one under discussion, its colour fades right off, in Winter and, only in Summer does it look something like the examples shown in my book.
(DK Pocket Nature Fungi....Evans and Kibby).

I think the bottom line is, like some trees, they change colour in the seasons!

Ceeg

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Looks like a Ganoderma to me - maybe Ganoderma adspersum

Turkey tail is smaller than that.
Maze Gill is really only found on oak and is generally smaller than 12 inches. Same for Blushing bracket although that's usually found on willow
:)

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
Seagull said:
Right, Guys.
I,ve had a look at the underside of this thing.

It,s fleshy ,pinky ,beige-y, creamy in colour; with a slightly undulating form, but very smooth to the touch; no sign of gills or anything like that.

Where does this leave us?

I picked up one looking very similar only this weekend. It was as described, very smooth underneath. It had fallen off a beech tree that was covered in them. On the side that was once attached to the tree are numerous little straight 'pipes' that run from top to bottom - are these pores? I've not cut it open yet to see, but I assume they go all the way through and are not just on the surface that was attached.

Does that help or do they all look like that inside?? (well help me anyway, Ceeg's might be completely different! :lmao: )

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE