what is Coniston water like for novice canoeing.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
was thinking about hiring a canoe for paddling around on coniston water on an upcoming weekend away with the missus. the Coniston Boating centre hires them out but doesn't imply you need an instructor or certificate or anything.

So just wondering if Coniston is ok for novice paddlers let loose? Its been a while since I used an open canoe but I am sure I'll pick it up once I'm on the water.

Was hoping to take it out for 4 hours? is that too ambitious?

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
You will be fine. Ive paddled Coniston water loads and unless it's wild and windy you can have a little adventure to Piel Island. There r quite helpfull at the boating centre and you shouldn't have any problems. You don't need an instructor and you can just paddle about near the boating centre. The cafe is good aswell, if a tad expensive.
Enjoy, it's one of the best, esp when the crowds stay away.

Paul

greensurfingbear

You will be fine. Ive paddled Coniston water loads and unless it's wild and windy you can have a little adventure to Piel Island. There r quite helpfull at the boating centre and you shouldn't have any problems. You don't need an instructor and you can just paddle about near the boating centre. The cafe is good aswell, if a tad expensive.
Enjoy, it's one of the best, esp when the crowds stay away.

Paul

cheers fella, kinda assumed that would be the case but its nice to get a seasoned opinion

Bluemerle

Nomad
Nov 6, 2010
Essex
As already said you should be fine, it can get a bit exciting if the wind picks up and it gets choppy. we found if it was to blowy they wouldnt hire out the canoes. It is a lovely area of water so have a great time.

PS i agree the Bluebird cafe is good.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I headed for Coniston when I got my first canoe, spent a couple of days practising the strokes and messing about, mainly pulling up on the beaches for plenty of brew stops.

It does blow up a bit rough sometimes but it's usually one of the calmest in the Lakes.

Don't stop for lunch on the south shore by the big open field, you'll get berated by the farmer if he sees you, move down 100 yards and he's not bothered.

Oh and watch out for the insane swan down the bottom by the river head, he's not put off by a 6ft length of ash being waved at him.

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
And its DEEP! I have a Humminbird on my fishing Kayak and paddling accross from the campsite I have had depths of 160ft. A bit un-nerving if I'm honest!

Can get a bit lumpy but there are sheltered parts/bays so I think you'd be fine

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Hidden Cove from Swallows and Amazons is on Coniston Water. A good pull up spot and sneaky camp too.

Wind can get tricky as it kind of swirls a bit due to the hills at certain places. More of a problem for dinghy sailors though. Although canoes can have some windage IF it blows up.

You'll be ok though as it sounds like you have done it before. Like falling off a bike, once you've done it you will keep doing it. That saying sounds wrong somehow.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Lot better than Windermere (too busy), Wasdale (very cold and too open), Thirlmere (never used to be allowed on it and I heard currents in there are funny) and Ullswater (can be busy and windy). Derwentwater is nice with the islands and that. Not to bad despite being quite open. I'd say Coniston Water is the best one to do if unsure of your skills. Its where I take newbies kayaking. From the Brown Howe carpark (park in layby just outside as its expensive pay and display (unless the meter has been ripped up and wrecked again).

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
We did a week on Coniston at the end of May, early June, well, a few days out of the week because of the naff weather, it's a lovely place to canoe, we had the 20 footer out and it was fine, sometimes (as has been said) the wind can mess you about a bit. You'll have a great time :D

greensurfingbear

Well due to bad weather we ended up not going out in a canoe. Have to say I was looking forward to it and even went so far as to book the boat in advance using the lake districts booking system run by Tyg Tickets.

I called to cancel the hire the morning of the day we were meant to use it, as it was really lashing it down and to be honest we didn't really fancy 2 hours of paddling in the rain. When I tried to get a refund when we got home........Tyg Tickets claim as I didn't go to the boat centre I can't get a refund. Needless to say not best impressed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE