What grit for what?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Having just finished reading Stuart's post, I think I've now ironed out the problems with my sharpening technique, and look forward to getting down to making my knives extra-sharp!

However, I currently only have a cheap sharpening stone from a DIY shop - which I'm guessing is probably about 200-400 grit.

Stuart's post says to use a combination 1000/6000 stone for sharpening (I'm assuming he's using the 1000 for most of the work?)

My question is this:

Can someone post a rough list of grits and what you'd use them for - I know that the lower the number, the coarser it is, but with stones and wt 'n dry ranging from 100 to 8000, its all too confusing!

leon-1

Hi Match, this is what I have and what they are used for.

250 Grit, used for heavy grinding and large metal removal. I use it if I need to reprofile a blade and there will be a lot of metal to remove.

600 Grit wet 'n' dry. used after the above, but still for removing heavier amounts of metal, it also helps to remove some of the deeper scratches that the 250 grit stone leave.

1000 Grit stone, used for putting the main edge onto the knife or tool, this will give you a good working edge that is fairly sharp, once again it removes some of the larger scratches left by the other stones.

2500 grit wet 'n' dry, gives quite a polished bevel and gives a good sharp edge.

6000 Grit gives a heavilly polished bevel and places a very good sharp edge.

A loaded strop helps in the removal of any burring (and very good on knives with a convexed edge)

A strop with no compound, but feels suede like removes micro burr.

Strop on paper for the final edge.

Normally I get to the 2500 grit wet 'n' dry and then go to a strop as this normally gives a good enough edge that you can shave with. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE