What goes through certain people's minds?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Looking back at some old trip photos, I came across this particular one that annoyed and disappointed me. I know threads like this are posted all the time, but I really have to ask what goes through people's minds when they are so incapable and uncaring for the land they inhabit? It's as if they think litter (it's not even litter, it's a genuine rubbish dump) of this proportion will just degrade away. It's almost as if they have no concept of conservation or just being a decent human being. Some people do their bit for the land and wouldn't dare to leave any litter. I'm one of them. I don't know what went wrong that people think this is acceptable.

Rant over.

mrgIZjX.jpg

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Whilst disgusting and unnacceptable, it's unfortunately nowhere near the worst case about. I know whole woods that have been left in far worse states. Incredibly saddening.

The worst littering I've found is at the top of Ben Macdhui. Over 4000ft up and not an area up there near the top that hasn't got broken glass all over ground and bogroll shoved in the rocks.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Looking back at some old trip photos, I came across this particular one that annoyed and disappointed me. I know threads like this are posted all the time, but I really have to ask what goes through people's minds when they are so incapable and uncaring for the land they inhabit? It's as if they think litter (it's not even litter, it's a genuine rubbish dump) of this proportion will just degrade away. It's almost as if they have no concept of conservation or just being a decent human being. Some people do their bit for the land and wouldn't dare to leave any litter. I'm one of them. I don't know what went wrong that people think this is acceptable.

Rant over.

mrgIZjX.jpg

Is that an actual picture from a trip report on BCUK or something you came across. If BCUK link it up so we can see the full context

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Every time I come across a scene like this I think about getting a ghillie suit and a paintball gun..

I try to leave no trace if possible, but the woods here in Newfoundland are very dense. If you find a spot with a bit of an opening for a tent or hammock, it has probably been a site for someone at some point. I come across rock fire pits, log benches, etc a bit, and I have to say to do not mind them. The one above is a bit of a state, so I can see it in this case.

I also however dread hiking into the woods 5-10k and finding empty beer cans and bottles. It sucks.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
The answer to the rhetorical question in the title is nothing, nothing goes through their minds they just don't care.

This is sadly why wild camping is banned in England, people leave a mess. At a guess I'd say more people leave something than don't.

but we go to our own secret spots and never really find anything because we're usually a long way from anywhere, and of course we leave no trace.

Last edited:

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
That fire was left alight with a huge log on it these people have no idea no common sense and blatantly do not care for the area or anything that uses it after there done

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Its not "their" job to clean it up. Someone else will do that.......

Yep total lack of personal responsibility. Sadly that seems a common theme these days. Couple that with ignorance and no respect for the land and we see sights like this all too often. I know I do :(.

All we can do is help where we can.

May 14, 2014
Notts
www.marojaz.com
It's almost as if they have no concept of conservation or just being a decent human being

True. I walk in Sherwood Forest every day and can forgive the odd bit of litter dropped by a child who knows no better, but I am driven insane by the fly tipping in the most beautiful spots. Some people must actually go out of thier way to take crap into the woods just to dump it.

I am currently hunting the individual who is bagging dog mess (in vivid red bags!) only to leave it on the path (for someone else to carry it out for them) or throw it into the branches of a tree to dangle there for months! Sometimes I despair of the human race.

Mark

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Visited the nature reserve that I warden the other day, only to find some :censored: had engaged in a spot of fly tipping. Rusty mattress, old hanging baskets, children's toys, a fake leather sofa, and assorted junk. It has since been cleared, but not before I went through it carefully in the hope of finding something that would trace it back to its source. No luck I'm afraid. If I find who did it... :AR15firin

13975827259_d006355fc6_b.jpg

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
travel on a train and notice how common it is to see great piles of rubbish thrown over the garden fences of houses that back onto the railway embankment and you will know exactly what goes through peoples minds, out of 'their' sight out of 'their' mind, sad state of affairs i'm afraid.

CallsignSam

Nomad
Jun 13, 2013
Kent
As others have said, it's sad that it happens, but it is common in my local woodland. I often see trees hacked down and semi burnt.
epu4e5ez.jpg

This is just one example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
This is sadly why wild camping is banned in England, people leave a mess. .

This is not why wild camping is banned, which it is not anyway. There is a prejudice against it because of a perceived threat from the great unwashed enjoying the freedom of their own country. But such messes as illustrated are illegal anyway and happen now regardless of anything to do with wild camping regulation.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I agree that there is no need to leave a trace when out, but it's not a new phenomena. Our ancestors have been at it since time immemorial. And archaeologists' are happy for it.

The Whaleback Shell Midden in Maine resulted from oyster harvesting from 200 BC to AD 1000.

The trowel bearers amongst us will quite happy digging through the trash as long as it's old trash. But as agreed by us all there's now reason today to leave waste lying around. My mates and I when we were camping at certain sites often spent an age tidying up others folks mess before we used a site, leaving it in a better state than when we arrived. If you pack it, in pack it out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE