What first old brass Paraffin stove?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
If you're looking for probably the best paraffin stove ever made, don't forget about the "basic" Optimus 111! (you can consider it a "brassy" if you polish up the tank:) ) For a pure brassy, I's go for the old Antarctic expedition workhorse, the 45.

For petrol stoves, the 123/123R is brilliant in a set like the Sigg Tourist, but on its own I find it a bit "tippy". I have a bit of a soft spot for the Optimus 99, where you can use the lid as a pan.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
This arrived yesterday, filled with clean fuel, replaced the pump leather and she lit no problem, made by RM and its model 320

20141023_123711 (Large).jpg

As I said earlier, I don't bother much with stoves but wanted a 320 and it came with a Veritas No5 type and a 1939 Primus No5, cost me £34 for the lot; I also put in a silly low bid on a Phoebus stove No 30 and got that for £4 plus delivery so if your new to stoves bid low and often.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
As I love my Paraffin appliances I am thinking of venturing into the world of old brass stoves.

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced nice Brass stove to kick start this venture please?

You can't really go far wrong if it's brass and it runs on paraffin and you don't mind doing a little bit of fettling. Just buy it. :)

If you want a real workhorse to cook with, then as has been said the Optimus 111 is hard to beat. The only silent 111 that I have burns paraffin. Oops. Didn't mean to let that slip. :)

But unless you're as lucky as Rik a 111 isn't likely to be as cheap as something like a 96, or one of the less well-known models from the less well-known makers.

For inspiration, take a wander around spiritburner.com -- but you'll need to set aside at least a couple of days to get a good feel for it.

http://www.spiritburner.com/fusion/index.php

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE