what fabric

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

walker

Oct 27, 2006
devon
what fabric would you guys perfer for a outer layer for all four seasons, uk.
goretex, wax or ventile.

the thing is am after a new jacket and was looking at a jacket made by westwinds i think made in ventile does anybody have any advice or own one of tese jackets there made for the british antartic survey team
cheers peeps

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
walker said:
what fabric would you guys perfer for a outer layer for all four seasons, uk.
goretex, wax or ventile.

the thing is am after a new jacket and was looking at a jacket made by westwinds i think made in ventile does anybody have any advice or own one of tese jackets there made for the british antartic survey team
cheers peeps

If its for bushcraft and you can afford it go for Ventile! Preferably Double Layer.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I have a ventile jacket and it's very good for breathabilty but not as good as modern fabrics for waterproofness.

It will keep you dry for a while but it does it by absorbing water until the fibres swell.

Eventually it will let water through, especially under friction areas like bergen straps. It also gets stiff as it gets wet.

If I know I am going to get wet, for example it's already raining, I use Gortex.

If I think I might get wet but mostly it will be dry I use Ventile because it's more comfortable.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I did think about it but my feelings are the same as Waylands... if it's going to rain i'll take my poncho - or umbrella.

I'm sure ventile is nice but if the fibres swell up and are waterlogged, it's hardly going to be breathable is it :rolleyes:

Can't beat a nice breeze up ones poncho I think :lmao:

Phil562 said:

Old Geezer

Aug 22, 2006
UK
For four season use - I'd definitely go for ventile with a poncho for heavy or persistent rain.

I wear mine over a T shirt as a windbreaker in summer and over wool layers in winter. It's quiet comfy and soon becomes a trusty friend.

I recommend a Snowsled smock rather than a Westwinds one as the latter has really irritatingly strong velcro fastening on the pockets and throat flap which almost defy you to open! It also has a full throat baffle, which might be great for Arctic conditions, but detracts from it's UK/4 season useage.

Usual disclaimer applies - no connection with any companies.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Apart from the heat of summer, I like wool lined waxed cotton.
Waterproof, warm, tough as old boots, relatively inexpensive and easily repaired. Strong, easy threaded zips, wind/rainproof studded flaps, a multitude of pockets, a decent hood and fold down knitted cuffs that cover most of the hand but can leave fingers free.
If I *have* to be utterly waterproof I'm still using my Lowe Alpine triple point ceramic jackets and over trousers, but they aren't fire or thorn proof. Ventile comes awfully close, and double layer is better on stress points like shoulders.

I reckon it's horses for courses; what are you going to be doing in the jacket, where are you going to be wearing it kind of thing.
I don't climb hills any more, if I can help it :rolleyes: , I usually quietly plouter along through woodlands, outdoors doing craftwork, sitting around a fire, foraging hedges, mossy bogs and the like, clambering along burnsides, rambling along windy beaches and loch sides. My wax jackets get most use.

Just my tuppence ha'penny worth :D

Cheers,
Toddy

p.s. I agree with Wayland about the velcro......long hair is a pain with a velcro neck fastening too; the d*mned stuff catches everything.
M

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I have more than a few jackets sitting around my house, probably too many in fact. I prefer Ventile for snowy, windy, dry days and either either Gore-Tex or my personal favourite hardshell Entrant XT for wet, soggy days. As amazing a fabric as Ventile, it only goes so far here on the "Wet Coast" of British Columbia.

Adam

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I've got the single layer ventile windshirt. Great for most conditions - add a pertex smock and its as good as double layer. But it does get stiffer and a bit cool when wet.

In winter or heavy rain I use a either a Berghaus gortex (only got Berghaus as it part of MRT gear) or an old Karrimor equal (use the Karriomor more as it is lighter and not badged MRT gear).

If it was only for scruffing around in woods and field a decent waxed jacket is great.

If I had to only have 1 I'd go for a breathable type. Not goretex by these days. Plent of other equal fabrics (Event is popular in the US and Sympertex in Europe) - you'll get a higher spec jacket from some of the big names (TNF, Marmot etc) for the same money in these.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I've got the single layer ventile windshirt. Great for most conditions - add a pertex smock and its as good as double layer. But it does get stiffer and a bit cool when wet.

In winter or heavy rain I use a either a Berghaus gortex (only got Berghaus as it part of MRT gear) or an old Karrimor equal (use the Karriomor more as it is lighter and not badged MRT gear).

If it was only for scruffing around in woods and field a decent waxed jacket is great.

If I had to only have 1 I'd go for a breathable type and just wear it out. Not goretex by these days. Plent of other equal fabrics (Event is popular in the US and Sympertex in Europe) - you'll get a higher spec jacket from some of the big names (TNF, Marmot etc) for the same money in these.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
That would depend on whether or not you plan on going for a two ply or three ply fabric.

If you want to Walker, send me an IM and explain it all to you. I hold the position of BCUK's Resident Clothing Junkie. (Just ask Ahjno!) :)

Cheers,

Adam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE