what does trolling mean ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
genuine question chaps, i've heard the expression but don't know what it means, ...i've always assumed it meant looking for something ?

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
heyup mate,...

i think it means causing bother,...

some people make a hobby out of joining a forum and just mixin it up,..

well,..i think thats what it is,,...

i reckon the fact we dont really know proves what fine upstanding gents we are,...wot wot,...

shortyman

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 18, 2010
Lancashire
That's my take on it. As in "trolling through the post". Always thought it was a derivation of trawling (the fishing method) but could easily be wrong.

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
what ho Raikey !

LOL glad it's not just me thats confused then ! :)

smokingjacket.jpg

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
It's someone who goes around posting inflamatory posts to wind people up to get a response... it's related to the fishing term where you dangle a baited hook along til a fish bites

More information here

Last edited:

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response[1] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[2] In addition to the offending poster, the noun troll can also refer to the provocative message itself, as in "that was an excellent troll you posted". While the term troll and its associated action trolling are primarily associated with Internet discourse, media attention in recent years has made such labels highly subjective, with trolling being used to describe intentionally provocative actions outside of an online context. For example, recent media accounts have used the term troll to describe "a person who defaces internet tribute sites with the aim of causing grief to families.
from wikipedia

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
All this time I thought it referred to the unfriendly "shizzle stirrer" under the bridge. The Troll.

:dunno: :argue: :dunno:

Same same :D

Gordy

Last edited:

T1Viper

Nomad
Sep 24, 2010
Ayrshire
And you should always remember, Never feed the trolls!!

please-do-not-feed-the-hoboken-trolls.jpg

Edit to add: that troll does have a nice looking knife though!! seen that pic lots before and never noticed it.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
A troll is a pot stirrer. Generally of two types imo. One type is someone who does it intentionally because they get off on that kind of thing. Typical pathetic nut job who leads a pretty meaningless existence. The other is the self-righteous type who thinks their crap is odor free and they are entitled to say whatever they want. They like to get into other people's faces because after all, they are just being honest, but they have zero tolerance for such "honesty" from others. Or, as the old saying goes, they like to dish it out but they can't take it. When confronted, they like to pretend they are innocent babes in the woods. Typically have huge egos.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
A troll is a pot stirrer. Generally of two types imo. One type is someone who does it intentionally because they get off on that kind of thing. Typical pathetic nut job who leads a pretty meaningless existence. The other is the self-righteous type who thinks their crap is odor free and they are entitled to say whatever they want. They like to get into other people's faces because after all, they are just being honest, but they have zero tolerance for such "honesty" from others. Or, as the old saying goes, they like to dish it out but they can't take it. When confronted, they like to pretend they are innocent babes in the woods. Typically have huge egos.

This is great, a bushcraft forum and its like csi with a break down of someones psychological profile, its amazing what you can learn at 2am..time for bed i think...

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
This is great, a bushcraft forum and its like csi with a break down of someones psychological profile, its amazing what you can learn at 2am..time for bed i think...

Sorry, i've just thought does this statement mean im a troll who's a trolling, best find myself a bridge to live under!!!!!!!!!!! :lmao:

E

ex member coconino

Trolling also means to walk about, to stroll, as in "I was trolling through the woods one day". Older readers will remember the word used in this sense in Round the Horne.

palace

Forager
Mar 4, 2011
NW London England
Trolling also means to walk about, to stroll, as in "I was trolling through the woods one day". Older readers will remember the word used in this sense in Round the Horne.

Yes it was used in Round the Horne, however I believe it has another meaning in "Polari" the gay language used until recently (almost extinct) but frequently used by Kenneth Williams, Huw Paddick etc. on Round the Horne...

Usual disclaimers.

Last edited:

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
Yes it was used in Round the Horne, however I believe it has another meaning in "Polari" the gay language used until recently (almost extinct) but frequently used by Kenneth Williams, Huw Paddick etc. on Round the Horne...

Threadkiller :35:

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK

Usual disclaimers.

What is the "other" meaning? I am aware of Polari and Flash as languages but not comes across Trolling in eother of them.........

palace

Forager
Mar 4, 2011
NW London England
What is the "other" meaning? I am aware of Polari and Flash as languages but not comes across Trolling in eother of them.........
Having been at quite a few of the recordings of Round the Horne as a lad , dad worked for the BBC & I got lots of tickets for recordings.
At that time these "polari" words went over my head.
As I grew older & more worldly wise with friends of various beliefs & persuasions I was given to understand that in "polari" "trolling" could mean walking around looking for "company" I think a look at the included "Polari" slang will be of interest to some...
http://chris-d.net/polari/

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE