What do you carry your tinder in?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I need some good ideas ... I don't think that my current film pots and zip locks are effective.

Thanks! :biggthump

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
How about a traditional smoker oilskin tobacco pouch? or its modern alternative the rubber/plastic 2oz tobacco pouch (you can get good quality ones from good tobacconists). They are quite tough and you can pack alot of tinder in there along with your steels.

:)
Ed

J

Jamie

I've just ordered and 'Ultimate Tinder Pouch' from Gary at Bearclaw which seems quite good for the price at £3.99...will let you know what its like when I get it!

Cheers

J

JeremyH

Waterproof pouches are great but can get punchered. I use a Bruichladdich 200ml whisky tin! Only problem is - yep, you've guessed it
you have to consume the said contents first of all!

:lol:

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Jamie said:
I've just ordered and 'Ultimate Tinder Pouch' from Gary at Bearclaw which seems quite good for the price at £3.99...will let you know what its like when I get it!

Cheers

The pic's a bit small but it looks awful like the smokers baccy pouch mentioned by Ed. Got mine from the Smokers shop in Cardiff with the Big bear in the window.

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Jake
The shop I'm thinking of, dunno the name, is in one of the arcades, in fact it's almost opposite the larger Baillie's army surplus shop, so not the Dominion Arcade but another one. Sorry don't know the names of roads in Cardiff. If I find out more I'll PM you

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Hi Andrew,

Nice to have another Cardiffian here. I'll have a look around. There must be another one i know.

This 'Ultimate Tinder Pouch' how big is it?

Cheers,

Jake

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
The Smoker's baccy pouch I got isn't the "Ulimate Tinder Pouch" that Gary sells since it seems to have more than one pocket. My one fits into the pocket of my Swannie Ranger shirt

Andrew
(who thought the answer was 42 :-? )

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
(who thought the answer was 42 )

FINALLY.......a game i have been playing :lol:
I realised i had made that mistake as soon as i had written it, but i thought i would see if anyone would tell me. :rolmao:

Anyway....i'll change it.......

Oh yes, i think i may buy one of those ultimate tinder pouches tomorrow (unless anyone tells me it is too big to put in your pocket....)

Cheers,

Jake

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Jake Rollnick said:
Oh yes, i think i may buy one of those ultimate tinder pouches tomorrow (unless anyone tells me it is too big to put in your pocket....)

Got one (two in fact) - nice looking bit of kit. Looking forward to using it. Exactly what I was looking for in fact.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Jake Rollnick said:
Why would it be better than a bag?
Depends on the bag ... this is lightweight but tough PVC. Poly bags just seem to split in my opinion and zip locks burst in the pocket.

larry the spark

Forager
Dec 16, 2003
Belfast
I made a tinder pouch from 2mm leather, thonging around the edges as its nice and quick compared to stiching with an awl, and oiled and waxed. I fitted a nice brass clip closer and belt loops but the pouch usually stays in my rucksack rather than on my belt. Its not exactly waterproof though so all my tinder materials stay inside film tubs, small tobacco tins and the like.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I oredred one and it arrived this morning. Good bit of kit. Much better than i thought. Very pleased!

Cheers,

Jake

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE