What do I have?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
This is not a bushcraft/woodscraft related question but some of the readers of this forum may know the answer.

I have been accused to buying all the DPM uniforms I find. That isn't quite true but you never know when they might become scarce. Anyhow, I found a little something in a pocket of a smock I just picked up. I think it is the 95 version. Full zip front, not ripstop, with shoulder loops but no tab on front.

Inside a little ziplock plastic bag was a metal strip about 1/4 inch wide and around three inches long (don't have it in front of me). It was inscribed with a man's name and rank (WO2) followed by the number 2000. There are holes in either end but they are irregular and may not be original. The inscription is deep and well done. The metal appears to be silver plate. It is also flat but irregular as if it had been curved and then was straightened out. What do I have?

There are currently popular among school kids a series of plastic wrist bands worn for a host of different reasons and causes. Some of them have soldier's names, but I don't know anything else about them. Is what I found something like that?

Up until now the only thing I have ever found in a pocket of a surplus uniform is a candy wrapper with a NAAFI price sticker.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Could it be the name plate from an award or mess presentation piece?
The number will be a year rather than an army number, British OR (other rank) numbers are eight figures.

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
I think we require a photo of the offending item to be sure. I cannot see the relation between this metal thingar and a rubber band??
Are you sure its not a dog tag made for pers use??

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
I am thinking at the moment that it was a name plate from a stick (cane), since the length is about right. It is, by the way, exactly 1/4 x 3 inches. I don't think it was an ID braclet because the ends are square and it is a little narrow.

The full name is: WO2 J.R.F. WOOD 2000. It may have been on a promotion gift or something like that.

Cairodel

Nomad
Nov 15, 2004
Cairo, Egypt.
BlueTrain said:
I am thinking at the moment that it was a name plate from a stick (cane), since the length is about right. It is, by the way, exactly 1/4 x 3 inches. I don't think it was an ID braclet because the ends are square and it is a little narrow.

The full name is: WO2 J.R.F. WOOD 2000. It may have been on a promotion gift or something like that.
I would guess probably the plate attached to the drill stick presented to him on his promotion..???

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE