What did you buy today?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
I had one of those electric immersion heaters years ago, they hail from the same days as electric bar heater. I wouldn’t ever get another. Mine developed a very tiny crack in it, you can imagine the rest. It involved an electric shock, an exploding cup, and a bad scalding.

I’m hoping you don’t have any similar problems, they heat up extremely fast if not immersed and will burn. As far as I know, they’re Chinese made and it would be well worth checking it meets EU standards.

Sticking with my tiny BRS 3000t Ti stove and gas canister, or Alpkit Jetboil clone for safe water heating.
I'd hope the latest ones were a bit better than your experience mate. :)

Reactions: Nice65

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
I had one of those electric immersion heaters years...Mine developed a very tiny crack in it, you can imagine the rest. It involved an electric shock, an exploding cup, and a bad scalding.
Well, mine is made in Germany so I put my trust in german technology. :cool:

Reactions: Nice65

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
For urban travel, makes it possible to get boiling water if there is an electric socket. 1kW.
590ml water boiling in 3min40sek.

Looks good and more convenient than the alternatives. You’ve had the comments so I presume that you’d just switch on and off accordingly. I’d love to know how you get on with it.

When I was travelling abroad I looked at small induction hobs but none of them were small enough so I settled for a mini electric kettle with a Japanese two pin plug. As long as you’ve got the voltage approximate they will go into anything even UK sockets.

Reactions: Herman30

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
I have no car so I travel by bus or train (sometimes a combinatin of them both) and carry my stuff in a rucksack, so that dictates that whatever I carry has to be small and light as possible.

Oh, and I forgot to mention: as a boiling vessel I use this Stanley with nesting cups.
dc8ab225-fa87-4148-bd21-9b094623f4dd.jpeg

Reactions: cbrdave

StevieE

Forager
Jul 15, 2021
Bridgend, South Wales
Two items.
First was a molle first aid kit pouch from amazon. Really well constructed, cheap and looked great. Fatal flaw was the internal pockets were upside down so unless it was packed to the gunnels everything will fall out. C'est la vie. At least I've got a very expensive first aid cross Velcro patch out of it.
Second was a gas canister to canister refill. Always been sceptical about these but it did the trick with filling my only coleman C100 cartridge from coleman c500'x. Time will tell.

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire

Arriving tomorrow, looking forward to reading it.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Hopefully you don´t use the rocket stove inside your car? Imagine getting stranded in snow blizzard. Can´t go outside to light up the rocket stove. How convinient would it not be to sit inside and warm up a cup of tea or a pack of noodles with that power socket heater?

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Ime going outside in a blizzard every time. With mine you can light it and get back in the van and come out when the kettle has boiled. I made it from some old bits of pipe I found and I think it will last much longer than anything electrical, xIMG_1033.JPG

Reactions: Woody girl

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell

Arriving tomorrow, looking forward to reading it.
that looks good.i like ray mears.

GreyCat

Nov 1, 2023
South Wales, UK
My 240 Skrama arrived today :)

Planning to have a day of hedge-wrestling at the weekend so will give it a first outing then. I do like it, feels good in the hand, and seems a sound practical lump of metal which will do a good job.

Got the plastic cover only and have some Kydex on order (found a seller on a well-known auction site) as I realized that the "better" sheaths supplied all are coverings over the plastic cover it comes with. So may as well do likewise!

GC

gg012

Sep 23, 2022
SE
I just got a really good deal on a Bahco Laplander on eBay, £16.68 delivered once I applied the 20% off voucher that popped up. Valid until the end of January

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240129-104217~2.png
    Screenshot_20240129-104217~2.png
    226.6 KB · Views: 10

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
TBS Boar MkIII EDC knife. I am very impressed with it, what a lovely knife. I think I’ll take this to the woods with me and give it a try out this weekend.

The sound the closing action makes is incredibly satisfying.

Reactions: Knightjar and Kepis

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Picked up a rather nice windbreaker smock from Sarnau Surplus yesterday but the real find (and shamless plug) is for the deli next door whose name I have forgotton and their Chorizo Scotch Eggs

Reactions: Pattree

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Moisture meter for testing my woodburner logs. ( £40 !!!ouch! ) But it will help me monitor my wood so I can get maximum heat output. An investment.
Two boxes of candles, two more canisters of gas for the camp stove and a huge bag of peanuts for the bird feeder. My local pet shop shut just before Xmas, and I'd run out, so a friend took me to the farm supplies this morning, and I spent a lot more than intended....I only went for the bird peanuts.!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE