What combination of edged tools do you use?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What combination of edged tools do use in the field?

• Total voters

mart

Forager
Apr 6, 2008
cumbria
Hey Lake, I really like that set you have, the husky hatchet looks well smart.
The buck saw looks awsome and really well done. What timber did you use to make the frame? and what is the blade, (lenght? type?)

Regards, Mart.

sticks65

Forager
Mar 18, 2007
Caer-lerion
Here's my combo

Vintage Brades criteric 312 Hatchet.
Home made bushcraft knife.
Case Moose folder.
Folding saw and crooked knife.

012.jpg

005-10.jpg

012-5.jpg

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Lake: I LOVE you small bucksaw. I been meaning to make one for quite some time now, but never seem to have the time to do it.

What I carry varies quite a bit but if there is one combo that I generally go out into the woods with it would be this:

A Shrade, drop point bladed pocket knife with delrin scales. These knives were made with a thinner than usual blade, and the synthetic material of the handle weighs almost nothing. You never feel this knife in your pocket.

Slung under my left arm on paracord is either a Mora Clipper, or an EnZo Trapper. Although sometimes I go with a Gerber, 'Gator, which is a large folder but with a light and ergonomic handle. It fits into a pocket on my buttpack. I have never had a quality folder ever fail me, or the blade ever get loose in the handle, so I'm not biased against them as many folks are.

I often carry a Gerber saw that does not fold, but the blade, instead, retracts into the handle. Very useful.

I sometimes, but seldom, carry a Gerber small hatchet, that is very compact, but, small as it is, it gets heavy after a couple of hours of climbing up the side of some mountain in Arkansas. Consequently, i will generally leave it in my truck. I also have a kukri which I find useful around a camp but I'm not about to pack that much blade, all day over rugged terrain.

If you have never tried the paracord carry technique, you owe it to yourself to give it a go. It is, in my opinion, vastly more comfortable than on a belt, and much easier to retrieve. For belt carry, I like the "dangler" type sheaths for comfort, but dislike their constant flopping around. But, of course, that is what makes horse races isn't it? (differences of opinion).

Cael Nu Mara

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 8, 2008
Highlands
Small Knife, Axe, Saw, though it depends, at work and things i carry either a Mora 2000, or my SAK Rucksack. Althouggh in the tank bag on the quad there is always a Clipper. When im out in the woods i carry the Mora 2000, SFA and maybe a laplander saw, or maybe the saw and not the axe, but always a knife. :D

SAm

Trackerman

Forager
Apr 3, 2008
Sweden
I have found that this is the edged toolkit for me.
kit.jpg

A knife in a mora size, and SFA and a folding saw. And I have tried large knives and khukris, and other combinations, but this suit me best.

crushthesystem

Forager
Nov 18, 2009
Maidstone, Kent
As everybody else my preferance can change from day to day but i always have my peasant knife and a wire saw with me and the rest get's chosen from the becker bk7, issue machete, mora, hatchet or web tex survival knife (not the best knife but can be fun to take sometimes.)

JURA

Forager
Feb 15, 2007
devon
One of my early influences was a book called, my side of the mountain, the hero, a young boy survived using a combination of pocket knife and axe..... and thats still my favourite combo. Opinel and husqvarna.

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
So far the kit consists of what ever is in my Avatar....

First got into this as i started to produce charcoal in a home made retort kiln.
There was a lot of wood splitting, fire watching/prodding.

The Knife was a kit my Lovely Girl got me for Christmas.....took me all of a week before i was using it....Defo the best edge I've used. It just needs a quick rub on a steel and it is back to hair removal (I've not had to stone it yet).
The fire steel is new to me but does ignite soft wood shavings with ease.

The axe was just a lump of rust when It was found in my Folks shed...it belonged to my Grandad, he was a local butcher and i am restoring many of his edge tools (Cleavers, Quartering axes etc) by re-handling them and making sheaths.

The spoon is my first attempt at carving (for my first born who will appear in 8 weeks)
the Curved blade that carved the spoon was made when I got bored and found some tool steel :)

The left over tool steel was used to make the striker for the firesteel (it's attached via the black boot lace to the sheath.

I would up load some photo's but can't seem to sort it...and I though I was P.C. Savy...:confused:

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
a couple knives at least my basic one, 2 homemade ones for specific task, a machete(my baby |lol| ) and saw and occasionally an axe

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
just had a very productive few hours and and my new combo is a new small necker and a small gerber axe.

i dont have a reliable folding saw,...but i dont plan investing in one just yet as i did everything i normally would with just the two above,..

Ben98

Forager
Jun 30, 2010
West Yorkshire
i use a rosseli grandfather Knife copy
a wetterlings wildlife axe
a bahco multitool (leatherman style)
a bahco laplander
opinel no 8 garden knife
opinel no 8
bahco mora knife (as a backup)
swiss card (victorinox)

only a little bit of kit to carry mind you it all gets used
am hoping to get a bigger bladed knife for my 13th

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
2010, Laplander or £4.99 bowsaw does all I need, rare I need an axe to be honest so don't often take one along.

Revised view, bowsaw and Leatherman pretty much does it all thinking about it.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE