What bait for figure 4?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
im teaching my self the figure of 4 trap method and im wondering what baits people have had sucess with?

though i obviously dont plan to use it for real as thats illegal!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I've never tried this, but I may do next time I get out. Good luck with it.
As for bait, I'd say use whatever is in the area that the animals are eating, berries, nuts, that sort of thing.

Tell us how you get on.

Spamel

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Guys while figure 4 triggers are legitimate hunting techniques in survival situations I'd be very careful about using them outside an emergency situation. Like many techniques they are likely to be classed as poaching and inhuman and as such illegal - Spam I would check German law before trying one of there and ditto for anywhere else.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Oh, I won't make it to actually catch anything, just the technique behind making one! I believe you can't lay snares in Germany either, in fact, fires in woodland are a no-no, so if anyone is ever in Germany and wants to do a bit of bushcrafting, be careful!

Spamel

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
spamel said:
Oh, I won't make it to actually catch anything, just the technique behind making one! I believe you can't lay snares in Germany either, in fact, fires in woodland are a no-no, so if anyone is ever in Germany and wants to do a bit of bushcrafting, be careful!

Spamel

Gary's advice is good advice. You may also want to check and see if making the trap, or any part of the trap, is legal or not.

Here in California, snares aren't just illegal to set, they are illegal to posses and any part of a snare is illegal. I learned this one the hard way, when the Game Warden approached when I was practicing making the trigger for a snare. I got off with a warning and have only continued my evil ways in the seclusion of my own home. :D

leon-1

Gary said:
Guys while figure 4 triggers are legitimate hunting techniques in survival situations I'd be very careful about using them outside an emergency situation. Like many techniques they are likely to be classed as poaching and inhuman and as such illegal - Spam I would check German law before trying one of there and ditto for anywhere else.

Gary is quite correct in saying about the legality of figure four traps in the UK, they come under a family of traps reffered to as deadfall traps (they work as a trigger for something large and heavy to fall on wee beasties noggin thus rendering said beastie dead), as far as I am aware all deafall traps are illegal in the UK.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
RovingArcher said:
Gary's advice is good advice. You may also want to check and see if making the trap, or any part of the trap, is legal or not.

Here in California, snares aren't just illegal to set, they are illegal to posses and any part of a snare is illegal. I learned this one the hard way, when the Game Warden approached when I was practicing making the trigger for a snare. I got off with a warning and have only continued my evil ways in the seclusion of my own home. :D
So technically you can be arrested for posession of string :eek:

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Snufkin said:
So technically you can be arrested for posession of string :eek:

Probably so. According to the Game Warden in our area, if he finds fresh traps in a specific area and a suspicious individual in the area is carrying materials that match the materials used to make up the traps, then string or wire or even a boot print would be used as evidence against him/her to convict them.

I've also heard that poachers can loose their vehicles, home, land, etc., if they find illegally taken game, pelts, meat, etc. in those areas. I guess it can be very costly to break fish and game laws.

leon-1

tomtom has publicly asked for the thread to be locked so I have, I have not removed it as it has information as to the legality of using a figure 4 trap in the UK which may be of interest for anyone searching for this information at a later date :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE