What are you preserving?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Which strain of Tomato plants do you favour the most Red?
For cooking, San Marzano and Roma VF. Really thick walls, very little goo and seeds, easy to seed save and heirloom varieties. We need a lot of tomatoes for the cooking that I prefer - Italian, Indian & Mexican all have a lot of tomatoes involved so it's a mainstay for our garden (together with garlic, onions & chillies). If my ginger growing experiment pays off (and it's looking good so far) we will be well set up

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That looks interesting Hugh. How do you make it, just dehydrate stewed tomatoes then put through a blender?
We have a video on it Steve. You can either slice and dry, then powder or, with dehydrator sheets, liquidise raw, ripe tomatoes and dry the paste, then blend the dried sheets to powder. No need to stew

Reactions: TeeDee and Mesquite

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
We have a video on it Steve. You can either slice and dry, then powder or, with dehydrator sheets, liquidise raw, ripe tomatoes and dry the paste, then blend the dried sheets to powder. No need to stew

I mean this in the very best of ways but your videos are becoming better and better - I hope you are seeing some merit in producing them and Youtube is being kind. No doubt the You Tube algorithms are a hard beast to understand.

Reactions: British Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I mean this in the very best of ways but your videos are becoming better and better - I hope you are seeing some merit in producing them and Youtube is being kind. No doubt the You Tube algorithms are a hard beast to understand.
Thank you! It's unlikely to make us rich but as you know, we've always enjoyed talking about what we do. I hope we can help others to enjoy this life!

Reactions: TeeDee

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Very, very useful dried spice.
It apparently is accurate that at points in history, black pepper was as valuable as gold.

One of my goals is to produce good quantities of authentic spices. The trinity are, in my mind, garlic, chilli and ginger - the three legs of so many dishes. Garlic I'm great at, chilli I have down pat and I'm pretty confident that this year I have mastered ginger.

Black pepper still eludes me though....

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Not that any I make will last long around me, but right now the mountain ash berries are big and in abundance here this year, so it'll be in jars for them this week. Might add a bit of chilli for scoffing with crackers and cheese. Thanks for the thought BR.

I remember Bob Flowerdew talking about his triple skin poly tunnel on the radio a few years ago. He had tropical fish in a pool in there and grew an actual pineapple. Maybe something like that will make the ginger a dead cert ... maybe even pepper corns.:) I really like those Schezuan ones - all lip-numbing hot and aniseedy

Last edited:

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Pickled fiddleheads ... now there's a thought. You'll definitely need to get them at the right time, before they get too chewy. Probably still best stir fried fresh with bacon fat, though.

Reactions: Suffolkrafter

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE