What are people wearing/doing to camoflage themselves when stalking and tracking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
As an additional post to my Gillie suits one. I read people are using various techniques to disguise themselves when tracking/stalking and looking like swamp thing may not be the best method. Plus that and my girlfriend still refuses to let me buy it.

What are people using?

I read on that thread about masks, gloves, de-scenting soaps, sprays etc. I know nothing about these. Please can you share your methods for preparing to stalk/track animals.

Thanks for all the people who posted about gillie suits. I will not be buying one just yet!

GreyOne

Apr 12, 2009
N Texas
I use neutral colored clothing, a plaid Pendleton shirt for preference.
Gloves, a stocking cap, a mosquito headnet to cover face and hands and old bald head <g>. Deer seem to see more a B/W vision than color, so much "camoflage" is wasted effort for hunting. The key to stalking is wind/ scent awareness and control, and movement control.

One thing I do use camo for, when hunting. I have a Swiss Alpenflage poncho that I can set in among the bushes in a lot of places. It is large and roomy, seems to help keep scent down for a time, and most important, it disguises the human form or outline. I add a "sniper veil" -about 6 foot of camo mesh (mosquito cloth). This, wrapped around head and shoulders, further breaks up the human shape.
This outfit is not ideal for walking as it may be a bit noisy, but it is in effect a mini blind when setting still.

Moving quietly means learning to walk like a woodsman, not like a city person. That is hard to describe, but a good country stalker can show you how in a few minutes, and with practice you will eventually learn to do it fairly well.

Walk slowly, stand still when not moving, move upwind or crosswind when possible, cover the "shine" of face and hands, break up your outline, and be very very quiet. You will see more than you ever thought.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I use advantage timber pattern camo in the autumn and winter and Advantage timber trousers and Dpm top in the spring and summer. They work well. The more green pattern top blends well with the trousers, You look like a tree to an animal that sees shades of grey, you have the same contrast. I always wear gloves and face mask too. The best way to hide scent is to rub soil over your clothes and do not wash them unless you absoloutly have to

Some examples

Full Adv timber
gun055.jpg

gun049.jpg

See how well it works. The blue rucksack don't help :) but that got stashed with the air bottle inside

gun045.jpg

The green on brown, soaked to the skin after crawling 100+ yards on my belly accross a dew drenched fairway to drop a hare from 50ish yards
gun100.jpg

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Does camouflage work when you're moving? I would have thought it was more sound and scent as well as the obvious not getting skylined etc. But then again I know very little about it.

Cheers,

Alan

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Does camouflage work when you're moving? I would have thought it was more sound and scent as well as the obvious not getting skylined etc. But then again I know very little about it.

Cheers,

Alan

That depends on what you wear and where you are, how fast you move etc. Trees blow and move in the wind, if its windy and your colours match the surroundings then yes you can get away with it, If its a still day in winter and you wear green and move about then it wont look right to quarry and they will notice.

welshwhit

Settler
Oct 12, 2005
Mid-Wales
I wear a similar set up to Hillbill

I use the advantage timber and hardwoods green patterns as well as DPM.

The face net and gloves are very important as your looking to disguise the human form and disrupt continuous colours.

A hat is a good idea to create shadows over your face too.

I must admit I have never used special soaps to hide my scent, my grandad always taught me to exploit the wind and terrain, not to be lazy and move to where your approach is into the wind, and this seems to do the trick!

A good friend of mine with considerable experience also swears by camouflaging the rifle too, saying there is nothing black in nature! I don't know how much affect this has, but i wrap my rifle in Stealth tape, which also protects the rifle a bit too.

I think the most important things to remember are, disrupt your natural outline, cover your skin, and disrupt the colours and patterns you wear [there are loads of ways to do this, I wear a baggy set of clothes rather than close fitting] and move gently and you should get close enough for a shot!

But find a system that works for you, and that is comfortable! You don't want to alert the quarry by thrashing around frustrated by your clothing!

Drew

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
That depends on what you wear and where you are, how fast you move etc. Trees blow and move in the wind, if its windy and your colours match the surroundings then yes you can get away with it, If its a still day in winter and you wear green and move about then it wont look right to quarry and they will notice.

If you're moving at a different rate/direction from trees does it not stand out?

Also If its a still day in winter and you wear camouflage and move about then will they not notice too?

Not trying to be bolshy just trying to understand why they won't notice, you can spot deer from miles away when they move but they are murder to spot when they're stationary, they blend in very well to the background of the hill.

Cheers,

Alan

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
If you're moving at a different rate/direction from trees does it not stand out?

Also If its a still day in winter and you wear camouflage and move about then will they not notice too?

Not trying to be bolshy just trying to understand why they won't notice, you can spot deer from miles away when they move but they are murder to spot when they're stationary, they blend in very well to the background of the hill.

Cheers,

Alan

It's impossible to make yourself invisible. Movement is always your biggest giveaway if you have got everything else right.

But the habitat you shoot makes the most difference to "how" you go about your business.

In a wood, movement is bad as they will see you first, stationary shooting is the way forward. Or if there is two of you. One enter the wood from one side, the other at the opposite. On is static the other moving towards him. This has a tendancy to drive quarry towards the static shooter and is a productive tactic for woodland. Do not even worry about wind direction in a wood, its all over the place.

If shooting in field systems/open land then stalking is the way forward. But keep things between you and the place you are going. I have crawled a long way accross open fairway on a golf course using a 12" high 12" bit of thistle as cover and not been seen by quarry. If you move directly towards a rabbit for example and hide your 2 legs( walk sideways or have legs pulled tightly together) you can get within 15 yards before they bolt. they do not recognise you as human as we are bipedal, Not human means less danger. You may also notice a rabbit bobbing its head up and down, they do this to judge distance. The more you move the closer you are

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
So for stalking and tracking where you will definitely be moving camouflage is of very little benefit. I think that when stationary then camouflage is the way to go, no question about that, you'd almost be better with a 4'x4' veil to throw over you when you stopped.

Cheers,

Alan

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
So for stalking and tracking where you will definitely be moving camouflage is of very little benefit. I think that when stationary then camouflage is the way to go, no question about that, you'd almost be better with a 4'x4' veil to throw over you when you stopped.

Cheers,

Alan

It still makes you harder to see the purpose of it is to break up your human outline.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Love the story of the stalk across the fairway to get to a hare. I've had a very similar stalk down a slight incline in the middle of a farmers' field onto a hare. I was wearing gloves and an issued windproof smock with the hood up, ditched my bag at the top of the hill and crawled about forty yards to the hare. Near the end, every inch I crawled I expected the hare to get up and run which would have been a bummer as I had crawled so far and put in such effort on the stalk. I gave myself a target to reach, a clump of grass, and then I would take the shot. I reached it and put the hare down in one, a very successful stalk and it was a great feeling that I could move over completely open ground into a firing position without disturbing my prey. Fortunately for me, it was a warm summers day and the hare was pretty much snoozing in the sun, and I wasn't soaked through and shivering!

Lessons to be learnt on the stalk will become apparent over time and you will still make mistakes or miss opportunities. Some animals are a bit more wary and will bolt at the slightest movement or sound whilst others will sit long enough for you to pop one into them. Remember, things are seen for a reason, if you can eliminate them then you give yourself a better chance.

Shape - Man is a unique shape, if you can break that shape up by either crawling so that you look like a four legged animal or wearing a massive ghillie head set to break up the shape then you will give yourself a better chance. Personally, I just pop the hood up on my windpoof smock and crouch over!

Shine - Skin will reflect light, and it doesn't matter if you are black or white skinned. Cover it with camouflaged cloth or get some cam cream on! Don't forget to take it off before you leave your shoot if you opt for the cam cream, folk will think you are weird otherwise!

Shadow - Difficult if you're in open ground, but if there are large trees then skirt alongside them.

Silhouette - Don't skyline yourself, keep a good backdrop of trees and foliage if you can. If you are readying yourself to take a shot and have stalked into position, then don't climb on top of the mound to shoot but come round the side. Only your head and shoulders will be visible and you won't be right up against the sky casting your silhouette.

Sound - Creep about like a ninja and stow your rattling kit properly. I used to take a water bottle shooting to keep hydrated but the glugging noise of a half filled water bottle seemed really loud to me so I canned it. I could wear a camelbak instead.

Smell - Your scent is made up of man made chemical soaps, fried breakfasts and beer! You want to smell of mud and twigs! Animals will find your smell alien and will take notice of it. Use the wind to your advantage and stop washing. Roll in mud and twigs and explain to the missus that it really is necessary. Expect to be sleeping on the couch for some time! :D

Spacings - Only a problem if you are shooting with a whole bunch of other people, I doubt animals would pick up on it but it is what a human would pick out straight away. Straight lines, such as a gun barrel, could give yo away. That is the reason snipers cam their rifles up. You can break up the shape of your rifle by simply wrapping it in one of the old issue face veils. Remove it after shooting, especially if it was raining, you don't want your rifle to rust.

Movement - This, IMO, is the one thing that will give you away. I have crept up on young rabbits to within a few metres DURING THE DAY before I was noticed. I was wearing the trusty windproof, no special cam gear. I once caught a young rabbit in my Tilley hat and put it in my pocket, Ratbag made me put it back though! That was at night, but if you move slowly, you will do better. You can move faster when in the shadow of trees, crouched over, or by using other terrain features to your advantage. Sound may then give you away though.

All in all, it is a combination of things that will give the game away: the stick under the leaves that you didn't see and snapped, getting caught on the barbed wire and it pings as your jacket rips free, loose pellets in a tin shaking, etc. If you can eliminate all of these, then you give yourself a greater chance.

So basically, a good DPM jacket (washed in soap flakes is a bad idea as they contain UV brighteners which animals may see. Just rinse it through and hang it on the washing line for a few weeks. The sun will break down UV brighteners, the rain will wash it out too, and the wind will rid it of unnatural smells.) with some basic gloves to cover the hands and a face veil and hat, good trousers and a pair of boots will see you right. Remember, even polish on your boots will give off a scent, so be careful what you do before you go out.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Good advice from Spam.

One thing that hasn't really been touched on and should be the first thing to do though is;
KNOW YOUR QUARRY.

Primary senses - Does your quarry rely on sight, smell, hearing?

Time of day - Nocturnal, Diurnal, Crepuscular.

Terrain - Cover. Availability of food items (plants for herbivores or prey for carnivores). Water sources

Use this knowledge of your quarry to your advantage, play to their weaknesses.

Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
Really glad I posted the questions now as there has been a great response.

Has anyone got URL's to sites with the equipment e.g. face veils?

I am thinking now perhaps I should buy a stalking/tracking set of clothes and keep them in the woods. Perhaps hanging them in a tree. Not washing them. I thought perhaps not washing would just make them smell much more of human?

What about natural to synthetic fibres? are animals such as deer that sensitive that it could make a difference?

I discussion on this forum has enlightened me much more than reading a few good tracking books. Thanks people!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Synthetics are more likely to make a noise as you move in them, think goretex trousers! "Swish! Swish! Swish!" as you walk! Stick to synthetics, or at least stay away from the shells that swish whenever you move in them.

welshwhit

Settler
Oct 12, 2005
Mid-Wales
These guys sponsor my shooting club and they are good blokes, they have a website - Tony's Camo but I recommend ringing them and asking for a fella by the name of Nige.

Tell him the sort of terrain you're heading to and he'll sort you right out.

Saying that army surplus shops are good for camo clothing and cheaper usually.

hth

Drew

If I'm actually tracking and stalking (without the kill), I tend to wear dpm as it's tough as heck and cheap. If it gets wet, ripped or torn it's easy patched up and it's quiet too. If I'm out on the hill and want to be discrete I have an ultra lightweight mesh smock and trousers in real tree or advantage, which is fabulously convenient. It rolls up to the size of a tennis ball and weighs next to nothing. Well worth the £60 or so squid I paid for it about 8 years ago.

By the way if you want to walk very quietly, use an old pair of worn trainers with knee high goretex socks inside. You'll be walking so slow, slipping won't be a problem and you can "feel" the terrain under your feet and become a bit closer to being the land that you are in for a successful stalk.

I've taught this to many folk and have never failed to get people to successfully sneak up on things and sneaking away from them by using these kind of techniques.:)

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I started with DPM, but as many have said, it is a bit dark for most conditions. Great for crawling around dark pine forests, but mixed open fields and ash woodland have a lot more light brown/khaki.

I used to have grandparents in the US and was wearing the first generation Realtree http://www.realtree.com/camo/ at least 6 months before the air gun magazines even started talking about that type of camo (I recall that Mossy Oak arrived here first). Anyway, I bought gear from Cabelas, which may be an awkward place, but their catalog is fantastic, a huge wish list, and if nothing else it shows a lot of gear in one place, which you can then go and track down locally.
http://www.cabelas.com/

Many have commented that most game see only in black and white, therefore all this fancy camo is a waste. I will go with that to some degree. Certainly a lot of the patterns are made to ambush shopping hunters!:lmao: Some look a lot better close up than they do at distance, but having the choice of patterns and colour schemes such that you can better match your local area has to be better than having to accept whatever the army has too much of! Also, you aren't just hiding from little fury mammals with poor colour vision. You also want to be invisible to birds. Some may be targets for your gun or camera, many more will simply sound a piercing alarm if they detect your presence. There are few things as annoying as being scolded by an unseen wren when you are trying to be invisible!

However well camoed up you are, if you are walking upright, you are going to be visible. Having no bare skin, muted clothing, patterns that break up your shape and tones/shades that match the background help a lot. At a great distance clothing of the right colour, even if it isn&#8217;t camo, can make you all but invisible even while you are moving. When I used to shoot I did a lot more still hunting and used instant ground blinds a lot more than I stalked. Stalking, to me, implied spotting one or more animals, or a feature likely to contain said critter, and creeping up on that spot, more or less ignoring everything else. Still hunting was what went before that, moving through the wood very slowly, going from one patch of shade to another and keeping a 360degree look out. Every so often I would drop into some cover and sit there for a while. Camo made a big difference every time I stopped moving. The woods took less time to get back to normal and anything that was just around the corner, and hadn&#8217;t seen me move, was much more likely to hang around.

Leigh, if you are able to get yourself to the Midland Game Fair, its a good place to go looking at kit. Its coming up in about three weeks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE