West Scotland Trip

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Diamond Dave

Mar 2, 2006
Ilkeston
I'm looking to take a trip up the West Side of Scotland in August, Is there anything I should prepare fore ie: Midges.........your help would be most helpful. Thank you.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Take a few different midge repellent products with you and head nets, elastic bands for your sleeves isn't a bad idea either.

It does depend where you are, coastal areas tend to have a bit of a breeze which discourages them, but I wouldn't rely on that.

And don't worry about the water being a bit brown - it's peaty up there :D

Other than that - have a great time, it's one of my favourite places.

Dr Onion

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
By Yon Bonnie Banks
Inclement weather!!

Our "summer" was dreadful last year - four seasons in 1 hour!

Check weather forecasts before you arrive so you can guestimate what to pack but be prepared to use summer and wet weather clothes on the same day! lol

Dr O

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I agree with the above posts, the main things are the midges and weather. Depending on the time of year you can get various amounts of both. Winterish weather will usually mean less midges but worse weather, and vice versa for the warmer months, but since our weather is all messed up at the moment prepare for both and you won't go far wrong.

Cheers, Nag.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yeah, and August is their breeding season too ;)

Seriously Dave, prepare for midgies and weather and have a great time :D

cheers,
Toddy

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Odd as it seems to be recommending gloves for the summer but the lightweight ones by Garlands(there are other makes too) make a fine addition to any anti-midgie outfit.

Gloves, long sleeved t-shirt, trousers with drawcords at the bottom, headnet....
No wonder I never get a suntan.:rolleyes:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Just had a thought....Dave you don't smoke perchance?

My dad smoked a pipe and he used Honeysomething or other Herbal tobacco when the midgies got bad and he never got bitten despite spending half his life messing about at the water's edge with boats.

cheers,
Toddy

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I think it was probably Honeydew herbal smoking mixture. It is predominantly marshmallow with loads of other stuff in it. Smoke it in a pipe (no need to inhale) and let the smoke drift around your head. It does keep the midges off (but it won't help keep the haggis from trying to hump your leg - it's breeding season that time of year and the little fellas get might frisky). You'll also need to keep an eye out for Clooties. There'll be plenty of them around just as the sun goes down. They are half blind and fly at high speed - just about groin height.

Eric

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I'm looking to take a trip up the West Side of Scotland in August, Is there anything I should prepare fore ie: Midges.........your help would be most helpful. Thank you.

I could say prepare to be awe struck by the beauty of the area, but you just can't prepare for that...
What are you up to up there, if you don't mind me asking..?

Diamond Dave

Mar 2, 2006
Ilkeston
I could say prepare to be awe struck by the beauty of the area, but you just can't prepare for that...
What are you up to up there, if you don't mind me asking..?

Hi JonnyP

First I would like to see that side of Scotland, I understand that there are beautiful views, good walks and a lot of history.

Secondly my children have purchased the holiday for me as a present.........

We are hoping to combine a little camping along with a small dash of hotel hospitality...

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Hi JonnyP

First I would like to see that side of Scotland, I understand that there are beautiful views, good walks and a lot of history.

Secondly my children have purchased the holiday for me as a present.........

We are hoping to combine a little camping along with a small dash of hotel hospitality...

the hotel bit sounds good to me dave.

bernie

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
The west coast covers quite a large area, all of it great, some of it truly breath taking. The more north you go the more remote it gets, but the scenery is staggering. There are many sites to see on the west coast plenty of ancient cairns and barrows, standing stones and the like. Not forgetting the numerous ruined castles and haunted graveyards. Several Templar grave's dotted around the area as well. Historic items aside, the UK's larges natural oak forest is on the west coast, a few miles south of Kilmartin again the scenery in that area is to die for.

Cheers, Nag.

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
Maybe invest in one of these?

We use these in the summer on a couple of boggy lakes where the box midgees (my own name, I'm no entomologist!) are horrendous, the little buggers can't get through.

Made by Klobba and waterproof, lightweight the mozi screen tucks away into a pouch at the front when not in use.

Diamond Dave

Mar 2, 2006
Ilkeston
The west coast covers quite a large area, all of it great, some of it truly breath taking. The more north you go the more remote it gets, but the scenery is staggering. There are many sites to see on the west coast plenty of ancient cairns and barrows, standing stones and the like. Not forgetting the numerous ruined castles and haunted graveyards. Several Templar grave's dotted around the area as well. Historic items aside, the UK's larges natural oak forest is on the west coast, a few miles south of Kilmartin again the scenery in that area is to die for.

Cheers, Nag.

That sounds brilliant.................:You_Rock_

Diamond Dave

Mar 2, 2006
Ilkeston
Maybe invest in one of these?

We use these in the summer on a couple of boggy lakes where the box midgees (my own name, I'm no entomologist!) are horrendous, the little buggers can't get through.

Made by Klobba and waterproof, lightweight the mozi screen tucks away into a pouch at the front when not in use.

They look good, do you have any other information on these.................:)

webbie

Forager
Jan 1, 1970
scotland
any ideas what towns etc ul be visiting? if you get the chance visit loch lomond, its my favorite place and i am sure ul love it to.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE