West Midlands - Coventry - Bushcraft Weekends

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
Hi all,

I'm planning on camping at Rough Close again on 8th/9th April, if anyone would like to join me. I've even purchased a parachute to ensure somewhere dry for a group if it rains! If you want to see what the last weekend was like, there is a post further down in this thread with a link to pictures.

Same details as before:

Rough Close:
http://www.roughclose.org.uk/

I've booked 3 places, as I know it's rather short notice and close to Easter, but we could probably expand this quite easily. I haven't confirmed all the logistics yet, so I'll give further information when confirmed if you PM me.

How to book
PM me! First come, first served. Looking forward to meeting some of you!!

Description
The whole campsite is a big mixed, mainly broadleaved, woodland. Although the website says the woodland is 43 acres, I think their acres must be smaller than mine. I think it is about the size of my parent's woodland - so about 10 of my acres. Still a very reasonable size.

The basic camping area is pretty much all trees, with no lawn area. However, there are some clearer areas where tents could be pitched if people would prefer those to the tarp and bivvy set up. The ground is quite clayey and not well-drained, so tends to be a bit muddy in places. Water is from a tap a short walk from the area. There is a toilet block and hot showers some distance from the basic camping area, although they are happy for us to use alternative methods provided we are considerate of other users and mark dug toilets appropriately.

We can have fires to cook on, I'm guessing one between two would be about right to keep impact down but still have room to cook, but am happy to discuss. Firewood can be collected from around about. We'll need to clear fires away completely when we have finished with them and leave the campsite as though we had never been there, but I am happy to help anyone not sure how to do this.
Of the long list of things I asked about, the only one we are not allowed to do is snare animals.

I'm really hoping some of you can come this time, as it'd be great to meet some other people interested in bushcraft and share learning. I'm also hoping my hand is better by then, as I managed to chop it when mis-using my axe last week! :eek:

Directions:
http://www.coventryscouts.org.uk/roughclose/Howtofindus.htm
Map

Cost:
£3.00 per night per person (the website is out of date)
If there are any damages as a result of our visit, we may be charged for those.

Swampy Matt

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 19, 2004
Midlands
Rough Close is about 3 miles from where I live!!

I used it regularly as a scout (many years ago!).

The site is superb. The only problem is finding it. From the road the sign is small and half hidden.

If memory serves me right, there used to be a large circular clearing where the scout groups would build a big fire and all the groups would convene of an evening for songs and campfire tales (eyes glazing over with nostalgia....).

Matt.

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
Wow! You guys are great. All the places are now taken, subject to everyone confirming.

attendees:

trauma (possibly + 3 friends)
Swampy Matt
peds8045
redflex
myself
Craig

If anyone else would like to come, please PM me and I'll let you have places if anyone drops out.

Sorry for keeping the numbers down - I just find it a bit scary organising something like this for the first time, so I wanted to keep the scale down a bit. Also, it'll give those of us going a chance to get to know everyone properly.

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
peds8045 has had to drop out, so if anyone would like to snaffle his place, please PM me!

attendees:

trauma (possibly + 3 friends)
Swampy Matt
redflex
myself
Craig

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
Another person has dropped out, so that leaves:

Swampy Matt
redflex
myself
Craig

So quite a small and select group now! Anyway, be great to meet you guys and if anyone else wants to join us, please PM me!

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
I'm back from the weekend at Rough Close.
In the end, only my friend Craig came as everyone else had to drop out for lots of different reasons. But I'll definitely organise another one some time in April, so watch this space.

I've put some photos from the weekend on my website, for those interested to see:
http://www.susannahrelf.co.uk/Bushcraft/weFeb06.html

We had a wonderful time trying out things we hadn't done before. I've ended up with even more questions than I had before, but here's a quick list of new things we did:

I had a go at sleeping with the hammock set-up, which was lovely until it started to rain, and my hammock was too long for the way I set the hoochie up, so I swiftly decamped and reverted to my usual bivvy-bag. :) Craig was trying out sleeping in a bivvy bag for the first time, and I think it was successful, judging by the snores!

We both tried tapping Birch trees for sap. There was lots of sap welling up, and we were able to collect quite a bit in a short space of time. However, we tasted it and were disappointed as it tasted rather bitter. Were we doing something wrong? Is it just the wrong time of year and we should have waited until end of March?

I decided I wanted to try tanning one of the rabbit's pelts, so that was another new thing for both of us. So far, it's looking OK - but still more work to be done on it. I am currently drying it and stretching it. Next weekend in the woods, I'd like to smoke it.

We also sampled some home made Ginger beer (my first time making that) which went down very well. :D Craig liked it so much, he's run off with half my bottles so that he can have a go at making Ginger beer too.

On top of the new things, we also enjoyed cooking rabbit casserole, roasting a pheasant, exploring the woodland and, of course, sitting by the campfire.

Looking forward to the next one already!

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
It is difficult to get a big turn-out when people have so many commitments but it looks like you packed in some fun...always good to shrare things with others. Looks like a good flow of sap too....we cut down some small sycamore (10") diameter last Wednesday and I was amazed at the amount of sap flowing given the cold weather we've had. Glad you had a good time.

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
Singeblister said:
Love your fire by friction video on your web site Cyclingrelf I must try it

:eek:

I was really self-conscious making that video as my neighbours must have thought I was completely nuts, so was half whispering, but excited to get a fire at the same time - how embarassing. But glad you enjoyed it anyway!! :D

If you can make it on 8th/9th, I'd be happy to teach you what I know about bow drills, although I'm not consistent with the technique myself yet.

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
I knew I was going to regret putting that on a public website!! I thought to myself "Oh, only my family will ever bother looking on there, so it should be alright"... :rolleyes:

Oh well, here goes - it's about 25.6MB, so rather large (sorry) - right click the link below and choose "Save target as..." to download to somewhere on your computer.

Bow Drill Video

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
Just a brief update (time to go home from work, really!! :))

At the moment, the following people are coming for the w/e April 8th/9th:

Swampy Matt (and possibly his friend)
FruitBatInShades
Singeblister
Fae Eyes (My cousin, who hasn't posted on the forum yet, but has joined us!!)
Possibly my friend Craig, depending on work

I'll PM further information to you all when I get a chance - life rather busy at the moment.

May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
muhahaha downloading video now :)

This will br my first moot! I must admit I'm new to all this bushcraft as an activity kinda thing. I bought a hammock but never used it before. I'm normally used to just taking a knife, saw and sleeping bag and making my shelter wherever I go but I don't think the campsite would last long if everyone did that ;)

Any help or advice on what to bring. I don't think my normal gathering of kit will fit in! Will someone show me how to use a hammock? If not i'll just build a shelter ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE