Wellies

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 12, 2007
Canada
Good day. How many of you still wear wellies when the weather is foul? Or do you prefer other footwear?
I've always worn them when it's wet and the ground is mucky, but have never really gone for long rambles in them, not sure if their cut out for longer strolls.
Cheers
Alex

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I have a pair of muckboots - can't remember the model off hand. I use them if it's muddy or wet - comfortable to walk in too, which can't be said for most wellies.

You couldn't get me out of wellies as a kid - I even used to get the red rings below the knee from wearing them with shorts! :D

clgladiator

Oct 24, 2007
East Sussex / Hampshire
I hate wellies, though i have to wear them as i do a lot of conservation work and ponds and reedbeds do not lend themselves to boots.

I have high top police/army boots and these work really well until the water goes over the top, so are a v.good alternative to wellies as you can wear them for longer walks and still go in deep(ish) water.

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
I still use mine sometimes, cut them down a bit so they fit in my sack if the weather changes and i can wear my normal gortex boots.

Don

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
My everyday boots (Magnum with steel toes) are pretty good if it's not too wet for too long and I use them for work, play, on the allotment, shopping, camping, the lot.

If it's particularly wet and I'm taking the dog out then the wellies it is.

mentalnurse

Apr 4, 2007
ashton-in-makerfield,wigan
i have a pair of these and find them good for walking the dog in as well as shooting and fishing but wouldent say they would be any good to work in. they cost a bit as well around £60.
tyne_enlarge.jpg

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
A little while back there was one of those programs along the lines of 'how do they build?' following the manufacturing of a pair of Hunter wellies, never realised how much work goes into them! Probably not the same for all wellies but i now see why Hunters are so expensive. Hated wearing them around the stables when i was younger, always felt so sweaty and getting a pair that fitted properly (to stop the farting noises and blisters) was a nightmare....

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
My first job involved doing maintenance in a paper mill. Rules said steel toe caps had to be worn, but all the chemicals used in the plant used to rot the stitching, so we used to wear steel toe cap wellies, with a plate in the sole and reinforced ankle.

It was like wearing diving boots and to this day I can not wear wellies! I generally wear high leg boots and gaiters when out and about.

Simon

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I wear a pair of Grub Stalker boots which are Neoprene topped rather like Muck Boots. Full Vibram sole, totally quiet and soft. They grip the leg so there is no "slopping around" and they are more than capable of bein worn for longer outings. If its really claggy underfoot I'll wear them for walks of 5 or more miles. Very comfy

Red

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I used to wear them but now go for my Lundhags in the wetter, colder months and a pair of jungle boots when its drier. They're much more comfortable and supportive than my wellies.

Blackshuck

Apr 29, 2007
Suffolk / Cambs border
If you really have to wear them a good pair of Hunters fit well and can be worn for walking all day. Good socks are a must though. I must say however, I prefer my Zamberlan boots and a good pair of gaiters unless I'm permanently up to my calfs in water.

David

I used my old chainsaw wellies for years until they wore out, fantastic kit. Now in the cold wet I use a cheap pair of hunter copies and they are ace, perfect if you put felt insoles inside and wear fleece socks. Great on long trecks/canoeing too too. I had a pair of sorrells that I gave away as they were far too uncomfy for trecks. I fancy ll Beans canoe boots...

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
I have a pair of crocs wellies and I look like a smurf in them as they are bright red ( some of you might remember the piccy from when I went to shell island in the summer :D ) I love them and they are as comfy as they come. Hunters wont fit me as I have rather large calf's. The one down side for going thru streams etc is that they are low but this is something i am willing to put up with as they are so comfortable......one word of advise is dont get my 6 year old daughter to pick your colour ;) like I did.
Greg

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I'll confess to having several pairs...
A short leg pair for feeding the animals in the back garden
A posh pair for shoot days
A medium pair and a rough/ cheap pair for mucking around in.
The posh pair feel like a pair of walking boots - they're very nice.
The others I wouldn't want to walk too far in - they do rub and grate a fair bit.

Mark

lottie.lou

Forager
Oct 9, 2007
Preston
I grew up in Hunter wellies they're great, really flexible and easy to walk in. I tend to wear walking boots everywhere now though as they're less sweaty and more supportive under my arch. I'm considering getting a pair of Hunters for canoeing though in as walking boots are unsuitable.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE