Way beyond the Arctic Circle in Finland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 2, 2007
Just wanted to share some pics from the latest summer trip to Arctic North...

If you truly want to get out and forget time and cell phones this is the place to go! The sun doesn't set at all between late May and mid August, local people don't use traditional time at all, everything's by "the light of the day"... you can have a date just describing where the sun is in the sky :) The kids are playing outside 4.00 a.m. when the parents are working at the yard... There is nothing to compare to light Scandinavian summer nights! There is magic in the air!

16.jpg

Pair of swans on a midnight swim...

15.jpg

Kilpisjarvi area, north west Lapland

14.jpg

Arctic Sea in July...

13.jpg

Kilpisjarvi area, north west Lapland

12.jpg

Making coffee in a Kota...

11.jpg

Nap time...

10.jpg

Little cabin in the middle of nowhere...

9.jpg

Kilpisjarvi, Finland

8.jpg

River Maaninka, north from Kuusamo Finland

7.jpg

Wild strawberries...

6.jpg

Reindeer food...

5.jpg

On the road again...

4.jpg

Midsummer fields...

3.jpg

Oulanka National Park, Kuusamo Finland

2.jpg

Lonely summer reindeer...

1.jpg

River Kuusinki, Kuusamo Finland

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
Thanks for sharing the photos. It really is an incredible place I spent a week in Levi last December and cant wait to return.

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
I'm sooooooooooooooo jealous :D You're a lucky guy :D

It's somewhere i have always wanted to go but never have due to money etc. Maybe one day :rolleyes:

D

Deleted dude 7861

Stunning, seems like bushcraft heaven for sure. Nearly landed a job in Finland years ago but just couldn't master Finnish or even Swedish fluent enough to cope in time! Still my dream to end up there. Love Sami song and the culture so NRK Sami radio is on mostly here. I always carry my puukko when out in the wilds, it's treasured :)

May 5, 2007
Warwwickshire
Truly evocative pics - thanks for sharing them! Makes me so nostalgic - for a canoeing trip we made a few years ago to Paanjarvi, in northern Russian Karelia. The nights were stunning, such deep silences punctuated by cries of birds and rustlings in the blueberry bushes...I'd love to go back!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE