Wander in West Lothian - Where to Go?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi folks,

I managed to wangle a half day from work today & the wife doesn't need me (hehe), so got my brew kit & my grab bag in the back of the car ready to go for a bimble, but not sure where to go for 2 or 3 hrs.
I've done BeeCraigs & Almondvale to death ,so I'm looking for someplace new to wander this afternoon.

Any ideas? or anyone want to come?

Tree

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
harperrig reservoir... or you could always come to the farm and help me tie up some raspberries! :p

lol I'm not doing any work this afternoon, but Harperigg sounds ok, I could try up that way.

Sorry to go off topic , but how long have you lived in Ratho Locum, I spent most of my summers there growing up as my Mum owned both the Hairdressers in Ratho at one point, the one up at the Shops 1st & then the one behind where the Old Post Office was at the bowling club. Just wondering if I knew you?

Tree

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
lol I'm not doing any work this afternoon, but Harperigg sounds ok, I could try up that way.

Sorry to go off topic , but how long have you lived in Ratho Locum, I spent most of my summers there growing up as my Mum owned both the Hairdressers in Ratho at one point, the one up at the Shops 1st & then the one behind where the Old Post Office was at the bowling club. Just wondering if I knew you?

Tree

i'm afraid not treeclipper, i grew up in fife. i started at kirknewton until i was four then moved to, drumdelgie (a godforsaken farm on the top of a hill near elgin), then milnathort, then anstruther, then edinburgh and finally a couple of miles up the canal fae ratho. we should maybe hook up in almondvale one day though, my usual spot is the bit just under the aquaduct.

Rob :)

lol thats normally the bit of the Almond I play at . Used to swim just down from there as well when I was kid.
Last couple of times though I've been wandering about the woods just up from the main centre as I found a fox den & have spotted the male fox a couple of times, lol he still won't let me take a picture though.

I'd love to meet up for a blether & walk( hehe if the wife & kids let me out again)

Tree

ps it's now between Harperigg or the Burn walk further along the Langwhang(Lanark road).

Sorry for not posting over the weekend but my daughters kept me pretty busy.

Well my Friday afternoon off started of poorly then got a lot better. I drove out to Haperigg and parked next to the fishing hut, I was intending just to walk round the resivior & spot some wildlife. I was only out the car a couple of minutes , looking at the Info board & a landy drove up & older gent stuck his head out the window and gruffly informed me 'were lambing , mind what your doing and going' then drove off without letting me answer. So I thought stuff this can't be bothered with the hassle I'll go along the lanark road to the burn & walk there. So after a 5min drive, I get there to find they are clear cutting the entire pine forrest on the path side of the burn, so that was that walk out as well.
I sat for 5mins & thought where to go. I remembered someone else had said Auchengray wasn't to bad, drove round that area for about 20mins but couldn't really find anywhere to go. I was abit disheartned at this point & thought I'm off home. So I drove back the way of Bathgate & as I thought I'm in the area lets go to Cairnpapple & have a cuppa.

Got up to parking space at Cairnpapple ,set up my brew kit at side of road & had a stroll about for 10mins while water boiled & took some nice scenery photo's. Older couple arrived to see monument ,chatted to them for 10mins & spotted a bit of Wood I'd never noticed before. Tidy my stuff away worked out how to get to wood, phoned the missus to say I would be late( hehe).
I drove over to the Korean War monument had a walk round then walked up onto the plateau , from here it was a 300yd walk along a small cliff face to the wood, I wandered round this for 40mins just checking things out. Lots of animal tracks(I'm clueless to most tracking things ,something else to learn :) ), lots of dead wood for making things & small controlled fires in my firebowl.
It seems a nice peacefull little wood that I can go & spend some time in, only problem I can see is leaving my car at war monument, I'll have to check around to see if anywhere else to leave car & I will also have to check to see if wood is privately owned or council land.

Hehe this is the longest post I've ever written. So it started out bad & ended well. Sorry if I seem to ramble a bit ,but written english is not my strong point.

Tree

ps. I'll post some pics of wood when I get home from work.

B

bushyboo

Looking forward to seeing your pics tree would also be interested in hooking up with you and locum for a bimble sometime

Gordon

It could be the same place Nick, I'll have to install some s/w to be able to resize my pics as I just rebuilt the pc, if I find and install tomorrow I'll def. puit the pics up then :eek: .

Gordon , would love to meet up for a bimble , the wife would be a lot happier, she's just not keen on me wandering about by myself. lol she says I get in to to much trouble on my own.

Andy

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
It was me who said Auchengrey loanhead farm, fields and woods miles of open space, the farmers are ok as long as you ask I shot the land for years before moving down south

B

bushyboo

ok so when and where ?

i can do sat, sun or monday morning, tuesday morning

cheers
Gordon

B

bushyboo

Hi Andy
sounds good to me not been up there before

sat would work better for me if your wanting to go this weekend
but could wrangle sunday if thats better for you

Gordon

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
i'll have to wait a bit. i'm busy over the next few weekends. keep me in the lop though.

B

bushyboo

Hi Locum
gives a shout when your free and we can arrange somhting

Gordon

B

bushyboo

Hi Andy

11 on sat it is then , weather dont bother me none il be there

really looking forward to it not been out for a while

Gordon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE