walnuts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Anyone know a good foolproof way of removing the green husk from walnuts, or do i have to end up with stained hands again this year???
It must be a simple method as i aint that bright!!! :banghead:

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
I've just picked a load myself. The easiest way is only to pick those that already have a husk starting to split - that way it comes off cleanly and doesn't need a knife just squeeze them. It also means that the local wildlife will get most of them before you do.
If you've got nuts that need a knife to get the husk off, well this year I'm trying leaving those somewhere warm to see if it loosens. If you use a knife, use stainless - reaction with iron makes the stain worse ( he says as stares has his jet black fingernails ) and maybe invest in a pair of kitchen gloves.

Save the husk and boil it down in water or let it decompose to a thick goo and you have a good woodstain.

24h later and my hands still smell of walnut,
Realgar

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
I picked a load that were already split, they were nice and easy but the rest i just couldnt leave for the tree rats.
I have tried drying them before and the husk went all black and slimey and was just as bad to remove, perhaps if they were somewhere warm.
Time to make space in the airing cupboard im gonna be in trouble :yikes: :boot:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE