Walnut spoon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Every now and then at work I get the chance to cut down some very interesting trees, this time it was a walnut tree, it wasn't very big but the patterns the wood produced were stunning. Alot of the tree was chipped but I managed to salvage some interesting pieces. My step father has been asking me for a while to make him a spoon as he has admired some of the ones I have made in the past, so with this in mind I set about to make him one. The wood itself was very nice to work with and carved with ease, I wanted to produce something a bit different as it was to be a gift, so I tried to create something with interesting lines and shapes. I finished the spoon over the weekend and handed it to my step father, who was very pleased. I hope you like it.

walnutspoon1.jpg

walnutspoon2.jpg

walnutspoon4.jpg

walnutspoon3.jpg

I am very happy with it, and I love seeing peoples faces when they recieve something that you have made for them.

Simon.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
thats lovely mate, looks very proffesional. The shaping of the handle really shows off the grain nicely. Wish my ones turned out like that! (I just say there rustic :D)
Good job!

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Thanks guys, The grain is fantastic, carving the bowl was very interesting as each layer was taken of a new pattern emerged it was hard to know when to stop.

Simon.

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Thanks guys, My step Dad is chuffed with it, he has asked for another one so he can put it on the mantel next to this one, he said its to good to use. I think it needs to be used, still.

Simon

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Nice grain on that bit of wood! Nice design aswell, I thought it was flat on the first pic, but then you see the side view and it has quite a pleasant bend in it.

I knocked a quick spoon up the other night for my youngest, she eats everything with it now! It is nice to see her at two years old already treasuring something I made her. Rachel, nearly five, asked me to carve her a wand last night, I engraved some vines and a flower into it and coloured it with wax crayons, scraping the excess away, and we oil it each night. Again, she loves the simple stick I made her. I think people treasure things more if they have been made by somebody instead of shop bought.

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Cheers Spam, It is good making things for folk and its even more rewarding to know that they will treasure them.

Simon.

That is a truly beautiful piece of work!

What impresses me about it most is how you've allowed the grain to guide your design - you haven't allowed any pre-conceived design idea to impose itself on a particular piece of wood - a lesson there for all of us would-be carvers.

Top work Simon and I bet your step-dad is still grinning over it - I certainly would be!

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
He couldn't believe it at first, now it sits on the mantel and he keeps looking at it every now and again.

Simon.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Working with some materials is relatively easy, but following the grain, the lines and the life of that wood requires a lot more, it requires care and understanding.

Putting all that together with the skill is craftmanship, something to value and treasure. With that spoon rightly so.

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
another beauty there simon, i always love looking at the things you carve, will have to get off my bum and have a go, what wood would you say was most forgiving for a noob like me, and can all woods be safely used for spoons, bowls etc once oiled

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
cheers Aragorn, lime is very easy to carve but has little or no grain, Birch is good to carve and can have some amazing hidden grain. Avoid Yew wood and other poisonous woods, but as long as the oil isn't parafin based it will be fine to use, some cooking oils though can turn rancid, so best using Flax seed oil.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE